October 24, 2017, 11:02:21 AM

Author Topic: Ross Barkley  (Read 115651 times)

September 02, 2017, 10:30:47 PM
Reply #2775

TheTone

going to be a long 7 days

deCoubertin

September 02, 2017, 10:30:56 PM
Reply #2776

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone still thinking the club hasn't fucked this up?

Could've handled it a lot better but it does seem to be forgotten that we did offer him a new deal and he refused.

September 02, 2017, 10:36:28 PM
Reply #2777

Simon Paul

Administrator
Could've handled it a lot better but it does seem to be forgotten that we did offer him a new deal and he refused.

in May

September 02, 2017, 11:01:41 PM
Reply #2778

BlueBeagle

in May

It was reported that he was to be offered a new deal in September last year.

September 02, 2017, 11:03:01 PM
Reply #2779

Simon Paul

Administrator
It was reported that he was to be offered a new deal in September last year.

yeah but it was only confirmed - by Koeman - that Ross was rejecting it in May when he told Koeman he was "ready for a new challenge"

reckon he was just bored of the 500 piece jigsaws in the first team canteen meself though

September 02, 2017, 11:10:01 PM
Reply #2780

ally2

Joking aren't you, I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they can dream up next

Someone will play the racist card I reckon

September 02, 2017, 11:17:06 PM
Reply #2781

74Blue

Question please for some of the more aggressively 'don't let him don the shirt again' posters like @Thornton_19 and @School of Science.

I notice neither of you have added the disclaimer you would forgive him were he to sign a new deal with us? I'm thinking the same way about not being in the team with the present state of affairs but I also would reverse that in an instant if he signed a new contract with us...

Actually, I'll go further. I am fickle enough all would quickly be forgiven but not forgotten, too.
No. He's burned his bridges. Fuck him!

September 02, 2017, 11:34:36 PM
Reply #2782

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
What has changed is his value to the club. A couple of days ago we could have had him off our wage bill and an extra 35m in the kitty for January. Now he's costing a wage until January, when we'll be lucky to get 10-15m for him. There's also a chance that he could sign a pre-contract in January and sit the rest of his contract out, walking away for fuck all in the summer. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could sign a pre-contract and fuck off abroad. After all, he is a full England international so would probably be attractive to some teams on the continent, especially on a free.
I just don't even consider him as part of the squad now. He's well and truly burned his bridges at Everton and I can't really see any way back for him.

Right, but this was a known quantity if we didn't sell him this summer, or last summer for that matter.

I don't like the situation in the slightest, but my point was that nothing has really changed. Do we really expect a player to go where the club tells him to go? If he didn't want to go to Chelsea as he only thought they wanted him to make up the home grown quota and he'd just sit on the bench I can't really blame him for that.

Maybe he is just a complete arse of a fella and has no love for Everton and just wants to go to a better positioned team in Spurs. Quite possible. If that's what comes out from all this, everyone is right to be up in arms. In that case, what a dick.

Maybe though he was happy here until Koeman started calling him out and dropping him and decided if we're trying to bring in Sigurdsson (even last summer), etc then maybe he thought they clearly don't consider me to be part of their plans so I'll look after myself now. But that shouldn't have to include going wherever we tell him to. If Koeman didn't really fancy him (you can offer a contract and not really want a player, you're just trying to determine sell on price) in that situation what else would any of us do? Why would he care what the club got back for him? Or why should he?

Genuinely, I don't know which of those scenarios is what happened. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle. One area the club is definitely at fault though is letting it get to this point. Much like we shouldn't have let Lukaku go without getting in a replacement, we shouldn't have got to the point of Barkley potentially leaving on a free (well, maybe a tribunal fee?). Amateur again.

September 02, 2017, 11:40:36 PM
Reply #2783

Major Clanger

Genuinely, I don't know which of those scenarios is what happened. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle. One area the club is definitely at fault though is letting it get to this point. Much like we shouldn't have let Lukaku go without getting in a replacement, we shouldn't have got to the point of Barkley potentially leaving on a free (well, maybe a tribunal fee?). Amateur again.

We also managed to look like fucking idiots in the media: Koeman's "deadline" speech, Moshiri doing a Dave Whelan, neither of those incidents paints the picture of a well-run professional club to an outside observer.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:48:46 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 02, 2017, 11:40:38 PM
Reply #2784

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
if we offered a contract last September then I don't see a massive problem from the club.

Also, most players who run a contract to 1 year go in that summer, unless the club doesn't want them to.

There's certainly not a widespread selling of players with 2 years to go for fear of losing them for nothing in 2 years time.

If a player is willing to risk a year of not playing due to not signing a contract then there's not much a club can do.

September 02, 2017, 11:47:01 PM
Reply #2785

plumber

He's not Lukaku though. I doubt any "big" club was interested in him before he entered the final year of his deal.
And I'm trying to imagine fans reaction if our Ross, one of us, our diamond, etc was being pushed out of the club in 2016.

September 02, 2017, 11:58:30 PM
Reply #2786

Lxxx

To be fair but for a relatively unheard of situation whereby a player turns down a dream move when everything is agreed, to the champions no less, we wouldn't have been discussing this. The club had admittedly let it drift but seemed to have rectified it by arranging a top drawer move for the lad for a decent price all round, but he fucked us over.

Now some might say he was just exercising his right but I prefer to see it as screwing the club over for his own ends. In football there is usually a bit of an understanding whereby both club and player know they can't exist without each other so the players get very well paid and transfers exist to enable this player trading to continue where everyone wins. It's very rare these days for players to see out their final year, clubs can't afford to lose an asset without money coming in to replace them. Ross has challenged that agreement for his own benefit and deserves any stick now coming his way.

September 03, 2017, 12:02:36 AM
Reply #2787

74Blue

am pretty sure English teams cannot sign pre contracts with players from other english teams, the pre contract rule only applies to foreign clubs
Yes, hence the little bit afterwards about him being a full England international and therefore maybe quite an attractive proposition to a club on the continent on a free. Remember Steve McManaman doing exactly the same at the shite and fucking off to Madrid for fuck all.

September 03, 2017, 12:04:11 AM
Reply #2788

Evertonian in NC

And Christ, it's hardly like we tried to "force" a move to fucking Brighton or even West Ham.  It was Chelsea, FFS.  The defending champions, because they offered significantly more money than Spurs, who may not have ever made a concrete offer at all.

Jesus, not even Lukaku tried to demand we only deal with one fucking club, and Barkley isn't half the player Lukaku is.  I don't know where he gets off trying to pull this massive diva act, it's not going to serve him well in the long run.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 03, 2017, 12:06:39 AM
Reply #2789

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Reckon Spurs have been proper snakes in all of this too.