October 16, 2018, 03:59:15 PM

Author Topic: 2017-18 Today's football  (Read 152085 times)

September 02, 2017, 02:16:54 AM
Reply #705

Gash

Global Moderator
2-0, Robertson. If only we'd done this in the home leg against Lithuania.

September 02, 2017, 02:41:37 AM
Reply #706

velimski

Is there any need for 2 holding midfielders against Malta?

September 02, 2017, 02:56:41 AM
Reply #707

Major Clanger

So, it's officially September.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 02, 2017, 03:14:59 AM
Reply #708

Gash

Global Moderator
3-0, McArthur.

September 02, 2017, 03:30:17 AM
Reply #709

velimski

Ah Michael Mifsud. Wondered if he was still playing.

September 02, 2017, 03:41:33 AM
Reply #710

Everton Mint

England... the worst 4-0 win I've ever seen.

September 02, 2017, 01:55:23 PM
Reply #711

Marky Mark and the funky

Final thoughts on the England U21 last night.

First half we were as one-dimensional as you'd expect from England, generally reaching the edge of their penalty area and not actually penetrating into the box. By comparision the Dutch were trying lots of different maneouvres and frequently forcing blocks and tackles in our penalty area.

Fantastic bit of quality for our goal, both the set-up and the finish, I already commented earlier. Pretty average defending for their goal, no one stopped the momentum of the Dutch and I personally thought the looping header was good but I hate seeing keepers unable to judge the flight of the ball and diving nowhere near it.

Kenny rarely got forward which I thought might be a symptom of replacing Holgate in Boothroyd's team. Dowell started brightly then started to lose possession a bit when he was used as the outlet. Lookman was great in the link-up play, safe as houses at retaining possession whilst the attacks were building. He was slack getting back which may have been a tactical decision.

Calvert-Lewin was far more involved than Solanke who I almost felt sorry for, it was the inverse of the redshite dominated seniors ignoring Everton players, having three of ours in the attack did not get the best out of Solanke. Anyway back to Dom, perfect first half really. Popped up in either channel, in the box, perfect on-the-shoulder-of-the-defence play for the goal.

Second-half my stream started playing up and I went to bed, so I will only note what I thought changed.

Kenny got forward a lot more in this half, whilst still doing so safely and not motoring to the byline at the first opportunity. Much improved though.

Dowell started showing what he has most players just don't. Picking the ball up in midfield and playing perfect forward passes right up to the edge of their penalty area, dissecting their defensive midfield with supreme vision and technique.

So I dropped out at 60 minutes, tried again about 70 minutes, just in time to see Jonjoe Kenny preserve our point. Leighton Baines type reading of the situation, we're in open play but he goes to stand on our goal-line, far post, and ends up clearing a shot off the line the 'keeper was probably not saving :woohoo:

Dropped out again on 75 mins, at that point I gave up.

You can probably tell I like watching the youth team more than the senior, mostly still humble lads!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:57:45 PM by Marky Mark and the funky »

September 03, 2017, 12:06:29 AM
Reply #712

TheTone

just realised Harry Arter is playing for us now, that snuck up on me like

and Martin O'Neil the manager

grim times

fancy Georgia to win this now, 7/2 no a bad price

September 03, 2017, 12:23:41 AM
Reply #713

Marky Mark and the funky

just realised Harry Arter is playing for us now, that snuck up on me like

and Martin O'Neil the manager

grim times

fancy Georgia to win this now, 7/2 no a bad price

Commentator just said Duffy scored, did you see it? Has he brought McGeady on yet? I'm gonna watch the last 30 now nod

September 03, 2017, 12:25:33 AM
Reply #714

TheTone

Commentator just said Duffy scored, did you see it? Has he brought McGeady on yet? I'm gonna watch the last 30 now nod

McGeady came on for Arter, missed the goal

September 03, 2017, 12:31:50 AM
Reply #715

Marky Mark and the funky

McGeady came on for Arter, missed the goal

'Geads did well with that jink into space and driving run... then ruined it with that greedy shot.

Come on celts in the lovely green 8)

A bit too end-to-end for comfort. Ireland not afraid to put 11 men behind the ball when required, not so bad away I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:37:39 AM by Marky Mark and the funky »

September 03, 2017, 12:41:14 AM
Reply #716

TheTone

'Geads did well with that jink into space and driving run... then ruined it with that greedy shot.

Come on celts in the lovely green 8)

A bit too end-to-end for comfort. Ireland not afraid to put 11 men behind the ball when required, not so bad away I suppose.

McGeady flattering to deceive as usual, looks to be doing a Messi but ends up doing a Messy

It's depressing watching us to be honest, been like this for years now

Point away would't be a bad result in the greater scheme of things

The Wales game will be the big un in terms of qualifying

September 03, 2017, 12:46:35 AM
Reply #717

Marky Mark and the funky

McGeady flattering to deceive as usual, looks to be doing a Messi but ends up doing a Messy

It's depressing watching us to be honest, been like this for years now

Point away would't be a bad result in the greater scheme of things

The Wales game will be the big un in terms of qualifying

Missing yer best player and captain at the moment too. It's desperate when you're recruiting the likes of Courtney Duffus before he has done anything at all.

All those that don't like Shane Long though, I'd 'ave 'e at Everton right now!

Amd McGimp snatches at a chance to test the 'keeper in the 93rd minute, doh
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:51:40 AM by Marky Mark and the funky »

September 03, 2017, 12:50:24 AM
Reply #718

TheTone

Missing yer best player and captain at the moment too. It's desperate when you're recruiting the likes of Courtney Duffus before he has done anything at all.

All those that don't like Shane Long though, I'd 'ave 'e at Everton right now!

Shane Long was born 10 minutes away from my place, mindless trivia there

He used to play Gaa as a kid then bossed it at a small club called St. Michaels before the big wigs came a calling from England

Sound bloke too

September 03, 2017, 01:02:25 AM
Reply #719

TheTone

Wales back in the game now if they beat Austria