June 21, 2018, 03:59:22 AM

Author Topic: 2017-18 Today's football  (Read 126291 times)

February 05, 2018, 12:54:58 AM
Reply #2910

kramer0

You'd be fuming if you were a Chelsea fan seeing how he and KDB have performed.

Just shows how important it is to give players time.

Agreed. If you've done your due diligence on a player and he's a good fit for how you want to play, patience is essential.

It's a lot muddier if you don't have a good idea of what you're getting, though. For example, I think we expected a lot from Sandro and Klaassen this season but I don't think we fully understood who they were or how we were going to use them. So I don't know how much patience gets us with those two.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:56:28 AM by kramer0 »

February 05, 2018, 01:02:22 AM
Reply #2911

sam of the south

Yeah, I'm not actually finding I hate him as much as I usually would a Liverpool player doing well as I'm that confident he's moved beyond Liverpool's level to the point one of Barca/Madrid/PSG will be in for him.

Trouble is, they could probably get around 200m for him, and that would all be reinvested in really good players
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 05, 2018, 01:13:31 AM
Reply #2912

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Trouble is, they could probably get around 200m for him, and that would all be reinvested in really good players

Perhaps, but they'd likely be in a similar boat to us with Lukaku, Spurs with Bale, it's hard to replace players that you're that reliant on.

Much as they struggled after losing Suarez.

February 05, 2018, 01:14:34 AM
Reply #2913

Major Clanger

How many points have they given up from a winning position this season? They're a better version of us under Martinez, it must become draining after a while and questions will follow Klopp around until he can see games like this out.

45, more than any team in Europe.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

February 05, 2018, 01:17:13 AM
Reply #2914

Major Clanger

You'd be fuming if you were a Chelsea fan seeing how he and KDB have performed.

Just shows how important it is to give players time.

I think both benefited hugely from going away, playing freely in a different league, then coming back again. Had they stayed, they wouldn't have developed to anywhere near these levels, time or not.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

February 05, 2018, 01:19:10 AM
Reply #2915

sam of the south

How many points have they given up from a winning position this season? They're a better version of us under Martinez, it must become draining after a while and questions will follow Klopp around until he can see games like this out.

I wonder if it's because the high press style they play usually reaps early dividends, but then it's obviously hard to keep up that same intensity as the match wears on

February 05, 2018, 01:19:54 AM
Reply #2916

sam of the south

Perhaps, but they'd likely be in a similar boat to us with Lukaku, Spurs with Bale, it's hard to replace players that you're that reliant on.

Much as they struggled after losing Suarez.

Yeah, but they reinvest very well these days

February 05, 2018, 01:19:54 AM
Reply #2917

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
45, more than any team in Europe.

Thanks, that sounds about right.

In fairness, they aren't boring to watch much like we were under Martinez for maybe half his time here. Goals were guaranteed at both ends. Ultimately though, fans will start yearning for "more boring" football to quote our own manager if it keeps up long term. Especially if they're not winning anything.

February 05, 2018, 01:24:34 AM
Reply #2918

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, but they reinvest very well these days

They have been, but it's hard to keep doing it and they kinda have to be perfect in order not to lose momentum as it's a crowded field between 1st and 6th right now.

I'd personally be happy for Barca or Madrid to give them even 180 million for Salah and let them spend it as ultimately if you can't keep hold of these type of players you don't usually get to move up a level. It's usually a destructive process.

I'd say he's up there with Ronaldo almost in his Man United time. While yes, Man United did cope with losing him to an extent, they've never really been as good since.

February 05, 2018, 01:33:04 AM
Reply #2919

sam of the south

They have been, but it's hard to keep doing it and they kinda have to be perfect in order not to lose momentum as it's a crowded field between 1st and 6th right now.

I'd personally be happy for Barca or Madrid to give them even 180 million for Salah and let them spend it as ultimately if you can't keep hold of these type of players you don't usually get to move up a level. It's usually a destructive process.

I'd say he's up there with Ronaldo almost in his Man United time. While yes, Man United did cope with losing him to an extent, they've never really been as good since.

I agree with most of that, but he has to produce this form for another decade to be mentioned in the same breath as C. Ronaldo

February 05, 2018, 01:35:16 AM
Reply #2920

WeimaranerBlues

don't think he will go after 1 season  2/3 years yes

February 05, 2018, 01:36:15 AM
Reply #2921

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
don't think he will go after 1 season  2/3 years yes
Madrid or barca come knocking, you go
Simply simply lovely

February 05, 2018, 01:37:21 AM
Reply #2922

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I agree with most of that, but he has to produce this form for another decade to be mentioned in the same breath as C. Ronaldo

Yep, consistency is partly what puts the likes of Messi and Ronaldo on such a different level. Salah does have a long way to go on that score, but I'd rather he did it elsewhere as he looks the part right now.

February 05, 2018, 01:39:15 AM
Reply #2923

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Madrid or barca come knocking, you go

And even if it's not this summer, they'll do what they do and plant the seed and like Coutinho and others you know the writing is on the wall.

I think with the mess Madrid are in right now, they'll be flinging money around this summer and Salah has got to be very high on their list.

February 05, 2018, 01:40:26 AM
Reply #2924

sam of the south

Yep, consistency is partly what puts the likes of Messi and Ronaldo on such a different level. Salah does have a long way to go on that score, but I'd rather he did it elsewhere as he looks the part right now.

Yep, I hope he fucks off sharpish