October 22, 2018, 08:53:23 PM

Author Topic: Sandro Ramirez Signs - Confirmed by club  (Read 25212 times)

July 03, 2017, 11:40:42 PM
Read 25212 times

Toddacelli

fucking hell. Need a lie down after this

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/881900786518822913

Need to hear him shout "Chicken, lad!" before I'm sold!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 05, 2017, 04:09:54 PM
Reply #1

Toddacelli

July 05, 2017, 09:06:07 PM
Reply #2

Toddacelli

That's what caught my eye in his video. A few goals from ridiculous angles, a few 30 yard screamers and not so many "normal" goals.

Interesting article on that:
https://differentgame.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/the-data-scout-sandro-ramirez/

Suggests he can be genuinely dangerous from a wide position and we may still be after a main cenre forward...

July 21, 2017, 02:25:21 PM
Reply #3

Toddacelli

Fuck me!

He fucking leathers it! Awesome!

July 21, 2017, 02:27:55 PM
Reply #4

Toddacelli

I know everyone is waiting for Giroud or a big CF signing but I am really excited to see this guy play for us and even if we didn't get another striker in - I would expect him and Rooney as an interchangeable front two would be a nightmare to defend against and make real nuisances of themselves.

July 21, 2017, 02:47:17 PM
Reply #5

Toddacelli

July 21, 2017, 06:12:28 PM
Reply #6

Toddacelli

I get very excited about that video, do like the comparison with Suarez. Looks an aggressive, all action type who likes to get a shot away, and looks to get power on his shots.

My concern is that I read an article someone shared on here about expected goals, etc. Apparently, Sandro had a bit of a freak season and scored a high portion of unexpected goals (twice the amount of Messi, Ronaldo) and should have probably scored around 6 or 7 goals.

I'm expecting a bit of a drop off this season but think he'll be quality even with the smaller goal return, just judging by his style and impact on a game. A bit like Suarez when he first came over, wasn't the big goalscorer he is now (or before at Ajax) but then all of a sudden that all came together too.

Exciting

Hoping for 10 from him but we'll have to see how he develops over the course of the season.

July 25, 2017, 03:06:06 PM
Reply #7

Toddacelli

'Expected goals'

What an absolutely fucking useless stat that is.

Agree with this.

Would love someone to tell me how the measurable metric for 'expected' is worked out.

Sounds bizarrely nonsensical.

July 25, 2017, 06:25:09 PM
Reply #8

Toddacelli

Boards don't hit back 😉

Only joking, he looks superb 👍🏼

Gutted I can't give you more likes for this! But I won't focus on the smaller picture....

July 26, 2017, 04:36:14 PM
Reply #9

Toddacelli

Several different methods that all get to the same general outcome. I like this explanation: http://11tegen11.net/2014/08/07/expected-goals-2-0-some-light-in-the-black-box/

Basically, the xG model looks at match situation (open play, set piece, PK, etc), league level, scoreline, shot location/angle to goal, header vs typical shot, distance, and type of buildup (cross, through ball, counter attack, etc), and weights each of these based on how much they contribute to a goal, and how often.
<Nerd alert> For the good xG models, this is fed into a multivariate analysis based on a large set of previous goal attempts that generates a sort of equation that you can feed all the relevant info into for a particular attempt/game/season/whatever to determine the expectation vs actual outcome </Nerd alert>

Essentially, it weighs all the things that we might expect to contribute to a goal, based on how much they tend to impact actual goals being scored. For Sandro, we've seen from shot charts that last season he scored a lot of goals from tight angles--these shots by nature will have low expectations for conversion. Now, it could be luck or it could be genuine skill, so how he performs this season will go far to answering that question.

Not having a single word of this.

Yeah the nerd brigade might have this tried and tested and it might all stack up to them, but it will always be The Beautiful Game to me and be judged not by computers but by the human eye.

Tell me someone's stats are good - that's fine, I'll take that on board, but I'll judge the player for myself when they're on the pitch, not on the spreadsheet.

July 26, 2017, 04:37:40 PM
Reply #10

Toddacelli

Several different methods that all get to the same general outcome. I like this explanation: http://11tegen11.net/2014/08/07/expected-goals-2-0-some-light-in-the-black-box/

Basically, the xG model looks at match situation (open play, set piece, PK, etc), league level, scoreline, shot location/angle to goal, header vs typical shot, distance, and type of buildup (cross, through ball, counter attack, etc), and weights each of these based on how much they contribute to a goal, and how often.
<Nerd alert> For the good xG models, this is fed into a multivariate analysis based on a large set of previous goal attempts that generates a sort of equation that you can feed all the relevant info into for a particular attempt/game/season/whatever to determine the expectation vs actual outcome </Nerd alert>

Essentially, it weighs all the things that we might expect to contribute to a goal, based on how much they tend to impact actual goals being scored. For Sandro, we've seen from shot charts that last season he scored a lot of goals from tight angles--these shots by nature will have low expectations for conversion. Now, it could be luck or it could be genuine skill, so how he performs this season will go far to answering that question.

P.S. - genuinely - Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me in such detail. It is much appreciated and no disrespect intended my friend!

July 28, 2017, 05:39:40 AM
Reply #11

Toddacelli

You're that guy brad Pitt fires in the second act.

Presuming you're referencing Moneyball?

Any good? Not seen it.

July 30, 2017, 02:39:58 PM
Reply #12

Toddacelli

We've missed the players who can link midfield to attack. Even when we had Lukaku as a focal point sometimes we just couldn't get it to him and played some great football over the first 2 thirds of the pitch - only to run out of ideas and lose the ball at the edge of the box.

Now we have Rooney, Klaasen, Sandro and possibly Sigurdsson who can provide those clever, defence-unlocking passes in the final third but we still do need a focal point.

It's the one missing piece of the jigsaw now. I know we have other areas we'd like to see strengthened (like CB and out wide), but a Giroud type player would really focus the attack and allow those link up players to support and be involved in the attack themselves.

This is where I expect Sandro to flourish. When he's not necessarily the focal point, but pulling strings and popping up where he's not wanted.

This lad has grade A movement. He's a professional Pest of the highest order.

Love him.

November 09, 2017, 07:15:53 PM
Reply #13

Toddacelli

Heads were falling off everywhere in the summer when it looked like he might not sign. Usually the same people who were shouting for some guy called Lemos who allegedly would have been perfect too.

Don't think my head was falling off exactly but I was keen on Sandro and I did also really want Lemos - but as a goalscoring, free-kick-taking left-sided CB.

With Fumo out, Keane yet to find his stride and Williams being Williams - I don't think the shouts for Lemos were unreasonable.

With Sandro though, he does seem to have great ability on YouTube - now if we could just get him to play like that on grass....