November 17, 2018, 06:29:20 AM

Author Topic: Bas Dost  (Read 8335 times)

July 09, 2017, 02:13:32 AM
Read 8335 times

Ridge

We'll need to get Holgate over to do some official measurements.

July 09, 2017, 03:27:40 AM
Reply #1

Ridge

Watched his goals this season, must be about 8 penalties, 15 headers and 10 gangly tap ins.

He's scored 3 hat tricks in last 3 months, he scored 2 goals nine times this season and got 4 in one game. He got 34 goals in 31 league games and was contesting Messi for the Golden shoe.

He scored 4 in a game when he was in Bundesliga, and got 16 in 21 and he also got 32 in 34 in Dutch league.

His conversion rate has been up to around 40% as well, he's not pretty, but he's been prolific in 3 leagues at some point.

July 09, 2017, 04:47:14 AM
Reply #2

Ridge

Scored the last goal against Klopp's Dortmund in 2015 cup final.

July 16, 2017, 08:34:26 PM
Reply #3

Ridge

I'm struggling to see another option, who could get more goals than Lukaku did and while we don't need to replace all goals directly, a goalscoring striker is needed. The main concern would be his injury record, he's missed a seasons worth of games in the last 4 years, but when he's been fit he's been prolific and he's not had any major injuries in last season. If he was an injury bomb waiting to happen, Sporting could have taken 35m already.

If we got other options to go alongside him and just accepted from outset that he could miss 1/4 of contract through injury, we can have other options to step in or take over. We might also be able to get a fair amount of the payment based on performance numbers in terms of games played.

50m would be a big gamble, but I don't see many better ones. He scored 4 goals in a match, a month after the interview.

July 16, 2017, 11:11:26 PM
Reply #4

Ridge

60m release clause, and they seem genuinely unwilling to entertain offers much below that. They appear to be more building team around him, than expecting or planning for his departure.

When he left Wolfsburg, they wanted to keep him, but his contract was running down and he wanted to play more. Newcastle were in for him last summer and he chose Sporting over them, they have bid again this summer, but seemed to drop out and said they didn't want to get into a bidding war.

If a team was interested to the point of paying the release clause, then they can somewhat chose when, as Sporting have only influence, not authority if release clause is met.

July 16, 2017, 11:33:59 PM
Reply #5

Ridge

I don't fancy 50m (is that really the fee??) definitely looks like Ronald wants a big back to goal merchant to bring Klaassen, Sandro and Gylfi into the box to finish.

I'd have Rondon for 20-30m personally.

This guy would be there to score the goals, and they would feed off scraps around him. In a lot of ways he would be an easier type of player to slot in, as Rom was goal focused and played very central and high. He took a while to settle in at Sporting, but he's been averaging 1.5 goals per game in 2017, have a look at stats.

I like Rondon, but he's not good enough.

July 16, 2017, 11:47:51 PM
Reply #6

Ridge

Yeah Sporting though isn't it. And how often in his career has he scored like that?

I think with Sandro, Klaassen and potentially Gylfi we're looking at a system of lots of goalscoring forwards playing off the big man / playmaking forward.

Rooney can do that role superbly of course, but I don't think we want him chasing lost causes or battling for headers with grocks.

I like the look of Rondon. His hold up play looks solid and he's playing in a jarg side. Given more freedom and better team mates I think he could be a good Europa league level forward.

Top scorer with 32 in 34 with Heerenveen in Holland and got 16 in 17 for Wolfsburg in Bundesliga. 2 seasons at Wolfsburg he played about half the games and got a ratio of 1 in 2, which is still not that shabby.

I know people will compare to Zigic, Crouch, Traore and all the other giants. But this guy scores about as many as them put together, he's not just any grock, he's an incredibly effective grock.

July 17, 2017, 12:03:31 AM
Reply #7

Ridge

To put the numbers into a bit of perspective, last season he was 3rd highest scorer across European leagues.

Messi 37, Cavani 35, Dost 34, Aubameyang 31, Lewandowski 30.... etc

July 17, 2017, 12:29:19 AM
Reply #8

Ridge

And forwards don't have to be back to goal, passing everything off to create stuff. Often a more direct approach can create more chances for others.

Someone like Rondon works very hard, and it's admirable and all that, but he's more of a target man or forward than a striker.