November 18, 2017, 03:26:09 AM

Author Topic: Kieran Dowell  (Read 8353 times)

July 14, 2017, 08:31:17 PM
Reply #30

Paddockoldie

You can be a tiny, low centre of gravity sharp turn midfielder, or a pacey midfielder, or a tall, strong midfielder, but there's almost no room whatsoever for a lanky waif with technique and no physical presence.

Give me one example of a player like that playing in a top league.

John Stones

deCoubertin

July 14, 2017, 08:33:54 PM
Reply #31

hill135

Javier pastore.

July 14, 2017, 08:37:41 PM
Reply #32

kramer0

Dowell has a great footballing brain for someone so young and his game always seems to go up a level when he plays with the first team. A lot of that is down to getting most of his first team opportunities against weaker opposition but I also think he benefits from the intelligence and movement of the senior players. At the U23 level, there are only a few players who are fully on his wavelength, like Davies and Walsh, but that number goes up with the first team which makes the game easier for him. I think this explains some of his "inconsistency" at the U23 level: Dowell relies a lot on his teammates' movement and understanding of the game and those things are erratic in younger players, as you would expect.

I hope he continues to play this summer. Dowell might not be in Koeman's plans for the upcoming season but he deserves the chance to show what he can do linking up his senior teammates, especially Rooney, Klaassen, and his good friend Davies. That's where his true quality is going to reveal itself.

July 14, 2017, 08:45:33 PM
Reply #33

BlueForYou

Quality ball player

Lanky players:

Peter Crouch, Darren Anderton and Phil "SparrowLegs" Thompson
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

July 14, 2017, 09:16:43 PM
Reply #34

Lxxx

Reminds me a lot of Bily, who struggled because he had neither the athleticism nor the intensity to succeed at the top level in England.

Players like that will always show flashes of brilliance which remind you of their talent but will often go missing for long periods in a game because they lack the attributes to make a mark when we don't have a lot of possession.

July 14, 2017, 09:27:40 PM
Reply #35

Ridge

How many Holgate's is David Silva or Juan Mata?

July 15, 2017, 09:12:48 AM
Reply #36

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Carlton Palmer
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

July 15, 2017, 10:20:43 AM
Reply #37

Evertonian in NC

Isn't DCL rather lanky himself?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 15, 2017, 02:41:34 PM
Reply #38

Toddacelli

Your right he didn't get forward

One min 38 is my fave

But 1.00 min is a damn close 2nd place - it was a proper striker's goal - as good as any you'll see - but from a CB!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 15, 2017, 11:23:20 PM
Reply #39

stirlingblue

Because modern football is played by super athletes, not ballet dancers.

To be fair, ballet dancers are super athletes. Plus, some footballers use ballet as part of their training.

July 20, 2017, 01:39:41 AM
Reply #40

DanDan

NSNO Subscriber
Has quick feet and can half hit the target from outside the box

July 20, 2017, 01:43:20 AM
Reply #41

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's a quality, quality technician. There are big question marks over him but man I would love to see this lad kick on, with us or on loan.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 20, 2017, 03:02:21 AM
Reply #42

Morta75

Great again today when coming on in second half. Looks good for the coming season.

July 20, 2017, 03:45:40 AM
Reply #43

Macca77

Hoping he gets some game time this season, hes clearly talented

July 20, 2017, 04:08:52 AM
Reply #44

Bluedylan

I know he still has a tendency to drift out of games but I wonder if he's giving Koeman something to think about in this pre-season with Koeman wanting to see goals and assists from midfielders. If you can get the lad shooting chances around and inside the box, he'll score goals at any level, and that could be a real asset to us.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.