October 17, 2019, 04:35:59 AM

Author Topic: Kieran Dowell  (Read 32213 times)

December 20, 2017, 08:44:43 PM
Read 32213 times

Lincs Toffee

Just spent the morning with a Notts Forest season ticket holder and had a good chat about Dowell. He say he's improving all the time, decision-making is getting better and work-rate too, you can see the progression month by month. Fitness-wise looks a struggle to play a decent 90 minutes and he's still too lightweight and gets caught on the ball too often but you can see he has talent.
In his opinion he's nowhere near ready to play Premier League football and probably won't be at the end of this season. Another year on loan would do him the world of good whether it's at Forest or otherwise until he develops into a mans frame as he is still quite boyish in his physicality.

Bearing in mind we do still have a glut of players in that position even after we offload a few there's no need to integrate him into the first team squad until he's ready for it. Wouldn't be the first to have a couple of loan moves before establishing himself.
Perfect replacement for Rooney then?
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

January 29, 2018, 04:34:06 PM
Reply #1

Lincs Toffee

I really can't see what anyone would have against giving him a go next season . Given just how little creativity and scoring threat we carry as a team .He did really well in pre season and probably would have had a chance to play had we not filled out the squad with mediocre crap who barely featured and contributed little .
The thing is, with our abundance of No.10s, who would he replace ?...Rooney is the obvious one if we are talking next season as he's not going to get any better, however I would like to think we are looking to be signing a playmaker in the summer, if so Dowell's chances will be limited to cup games I imagine if any.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

January 29, 2018, 05:54:11 PM
Reply #2

Lincs Toffee

There are players who next season are a year older or a year more frustrating in Rooney and Bolasie .  I also think you could definitely take the following out of the club for various reasons and it would effect nothing on it McCarthy ( injury ), Schneiderlin ( sell ) , Besic ( useless ) Klassen ( sell ) , Lookman ( Loan unfortunately) , Sandro ( sell ) . There are a couple with question marks over them who if he remains in charge Allardyce may move on in Davies ( I would fume ) and Vlasic ( seems unfancied ) . I just think that next season there is definitely a place for Dowell and if it is Cups and substitute appearances then that is better than any more squad fillers at stupid VFM . Kenny has probably saved us about 30-40 M not having to buy a replacement for Seamus and Dowell could well do the same replacing any of the above in certain games .
That's a fair comment, However I think a lot hinges on who is manager next season as you say