October 24, 2017, 12:53:08 PM

Author Topic: Realistic expectations for the new season  (Read 4003 times)

July 24, 2017, 03:35:22 AM
Reply #15

arteta4spain

Unfortunately I think we have to rely on the top 6 of last season to have a cluster fuck for us to get anywhere near top 4.
Chelsea. Think they'll win it again or be thereabouts.
Spurs. Although they haven't brought anyone in, I've got a feeling they'll unfortunately push for the title if they get the right players in. I rate them and Poch is a quality manager.
City. Unsure of these although with the signinga they've already made they look a lot stronger and will be up there.
Liverpool. I think their season although the seasons not even started, will depend on how the Coutinho situations resolved. If he goes they could be in trouble and we could nick 4th from them if we get it right.
Arsenal. Early signs show they're a team in transition and I think they're not going to be anywhere near the title. Our easiest team to beat to get within touching distance. Although they've brought in the cassette, I still think they've not got enough.
Man U. Hard to tell what will happen with them. We know they've got a player in Lukaku and given the service he'll score loads but he scores loads for us and we didn't get near 4th. It's going to be tight.

I think if we click and get it right we've got a chance of that elusive 4th spot. Liverpool and Arsenal are the ones to catch I think but this is all redundant saying this as the seasons not even started and there's still loads of time in the window for teams to strengthen.

deCoubertin

July 24, 2017, 03:43:21 AM
Reply #16

Evertonian in NC

Top 6 within shouting difference of more.

Prefer a Europa run to the Cups.  Those just feel like booby traps to me.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 24, 2017, 03:48:55 AM
Reply #17

duncandisorderly

7th again, it will take time for this team to gel. Still a bit concerned about the forward positions, would want another good striker and attacking midfielder/ playmaker as we will probably lose Barkley.

July 24, 2017, 04:08:23 AM
Reply #18

Thornton_19

Think we will finish above Arsenal so 6th.

Get knocked out the Europa by AC Milan in the semis

July 24, 2017, 04:35:06 AM
Reply #19

Mayor Farnum

I think it may take time to gel. In the most part we've signed young and foreign with no Premier League experience.
 Having said that we should continue to move away from the teams that finished below us last season as they are still as shite as they were last season.
 Our key to making real progress is dominating away games more than we have in years and picking up significantly more points on our travels.
As for catching the teams above us I'm not optimistic; they will all strengthen and complacency on their part looks unlikely due to the six into four equation at the very top.

July 24, 2017, 04:44:01 AM
Reply #20

Zoolander

5th or 6th and at least one cup final

July 24, 2017, 04:44:52 AM
Reply #21

ally2

It's quite odd so far. I know the window is far from closed but there has been very little movement from teams below us. I hope this summer doesn't represent the first time the league really became split.

July 24, 2017, 04:53:14 AM
Reply #22

Dr. Sponge

In Koeman and Rooney we have two experienced winners at the club, and a lot more leaders in character than in recent years. So I expect us to overcome a lot more potential banana skin games, and be more clinical in seeing out games.

I think we'll get about 12-15 more points than we did last season, and that should leave us around 5th, depending what the other teams around us do.

Got a good feeling about the Europa League this season too.. we could beat any of those teams at home, so with a lucky draw who knows.

July 24, 2017, 05:00:15 AM
Reply #23

TheTone

7th
Out the league cup early doors
Last 16 in Europe
Quarters fa cup
Win the home Derby with Klopp getting sent to the stands for being a cunt

July 24, 2017, 05:14:26 AM
Reply #24

BlueForYou

70-76pts

About time we won the League Cup

And yes, a(nother) derby victory!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:18:42 AM by BlueForYou »
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

July 24, 2017, 05:57:47 AM
Reply #25

MrWhite

I expect us to be fighting for top 4 all season. I expect us to make the last 16 in Europa. I expect us to push for a proper run in the FA cup. Given Europa schedule I expect little from the league cup (midweek game overload, play the kids and any progress is a bonus).

Hopes? (Realistic is a matter of perspective!) we can get fourth. It's not highly likely or anything, but with players performing and a bit of luck (poor seasons from a couple of teams!) we could get there, particularly with a running start. We could go a long way in Europe, but league must be the priority, unless we get near the final and have little chance of top 4 in the league. A cup would be nice and shiny, but I'd take flops in both cups if we got CL next season.

Dreams? Sandro and Rooney tear up the league, Keane and Pickford keep clean sheet for fun and we win the league. If that happens we can go out third round in both cups and get hammered on Thursday for all I care. Dream finished.

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum

July 24, 2017, 06:08:21 AM
Reply #26

MrWhite

Now I've read everyone elses I'm feeling foolishly optimistic.

Hopefully you lot are being pessimistic and you'll be happy if I'm right, and not mocking me all season when it turns out I'm delusional

July 24, 2017, 06:26:42 AM
Reply #27

Shogun

Administrator
There's still a decent chance we can finish 5th in my opinion but it's probably a long shots given our European commitments this season.

Spurs are going to play every single home match at Wembley. That's a massive change and every away team will relish that chance to play there and win. Liverpool will be in Europe this season and don't have the biggest of squads, it seemed like they got 4th last season due to other teams being shite.

I think Manchester City are probably nailed on top four given their signings. Manchester United are also likely but failed last season so who knows? Still a lack of creativity in that side and Lukaku won't be much of an upgrade (if any) on Ibra IMO, though I think they'll still finish top 4. Chelsea's squad hasn't changed much from last season and Morata will fit in there well so they'll be in the top four. Arsenal adding Lacazette to their side makes them a lot more difficult to overtake despite how they performed last season.

As for the cups.
We'll go out of the league cup early but I don't think it'll be an embarrassing defeat, probably against Chelsea or something.
FA Cup we'll go out to someone like Watford.
Europa League. Let's hope for the best. I'm expecting QFs.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

July 24, 2017, 06:47:43 AM
Reply #28

mikey_blue

I'm expecting a little bit of bedding in time for some of the new lads, probably a slower start in the league. Expect us to comfortably finish 7th again but better performances romances is in all comps.

And lose at Anfield.

July 24, 2017, 07:38:19 AM
Reply #29

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Anything less than 6th and the season is a failure as far as I am concerned.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...