October 23, 2017, 11:30:07 AM

Author Topic: Realistic expectations for the new season  (Read 3988 times)

July 26, 2017, 03:05:55 PM
Reply #60

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
We had that under Martinez. It resulted in us not winning many football matches. It's a results business and always has been.

Entertaining under Martinez? Maybe at times in the first season and a handful of games at the start of the third. The rest of the time it was the most boring and frustrating football I've watched an Everton side play. And I watched us through the Walter Smith years.

deCoubertin

July 26, 2017, 03:16:39 PM
Reply #61

Jamokachi

July 26, 2017, 03:32:31 PM
Reply #62

christiffa25

I'm quietly confident of good things but  We're 2 quality signings (CB, CF) of troubling that top 4.

I think our best bet of success this season is really going for the Europa league. It's the easiest way (still hard but) of CL football for us.

The league will take care of its self. 5th 6th or 7th I'd imagine.

Excited for the season though no doubt.

July 26, 2017, 04:52:26 PM
Reply #63

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Despite the fact that they're West Ham owners and complete tools I think thats the right approach. We should be saying our target is to win 4 otherwise whats the point of competing? I find it frustrating when managers/owners set their goals of top 4 etc as that isnt really success, success is winning it, it might not be realistic but if you set your sites lower than that then your admitting defeat before you start. NSNO.

Koeman said the other day if we get 2 more in we can challenge for 6th.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 26, 2017, 05:19:09 PM
Reply #64

Waltzer

And I dont think thats the right approach, he probably said last season that 7th was the target and what happened when we secured 7th with about 6 weeks to go!!?

July 26, 2017, 07:32:18 PM
Reply #65

hamshank33

Seriously fuck that. The aim is first and should be for us at the start of the season. We need to be at least 7th but we have a lot of unknowns, so other clubs might not know how to counter them........we have the liver birds let's have the song............WERE GOING TO WIN THE........joke ,calm the duck down😋
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?hmm hmm?

July 27, 2017, 12:23:37 AM
Reply #66

bacon sarnie

Deffo first place. Realistically, why expect anything less?

July 27, 2017, 12:29:54 AM
Reply #67

SANA_DR0

i think he meant with 2 signings, we could challange for the top 6(4th-6th)

i think we will have amazing spells during the first  6  months or so, i expect us to be in and around the top 4, then as march/april/may come around, due to us being in all the cups and Europa, i think we'll tail off in the league and finish 5th or 6th.

exciting season tho, not been this excited since we won the fa cup then bought kanchelskis (and limpar. but cant recall if we had him already or window after ) lol
Koeman is taking Everton places. Namely, the Championship.

July 27, 2017, 12:34:52 AM
Reply #68

GoodisonPk

I'll settle for competitive and entertaining in every game.

This could be taken straight from a Brighton and Hove Albion forum entering the premier league for the very first time. You're easily pleased.

July 27, 2017, 01:45:45 AM
Reply #69

D_murph0278

A cup final and with 4 games to go, still in with a shout of 4th place.
"One for Lineker to chase and just look at his pace."

July 27, 2017, 04:08:24 AM
Reply #70

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
i think he meant with 2 signings, we could challange for the top 6(4th-6th)

i think we will have amazing spells during the first  6  months or so, i expect us to be in and around the top 4, then as march/april/may come around, due to us being in all the cups and Europa, i think we'll tail off in the league and finish 5th or 6th.

exciting season tho, not been this excited since we won the fa cup then bought kanchelskis (and limpar. but cant recall if we had him already or window after ) lol

We had Limpar 3 years before Kanchelskis.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

July 27, 2017, 04:12:22 AM
Reply #71

di_guyo

Realistically, 7th...we've strengthened well though, and hopefully narrowed the gap...good progress towards breaking in.
Everton & Atleti

July 27, 2017, 05:31:22 AM
Reply #72

MrWhite

Only teams not looking notably stronger to me are Tottenham and the shite and I think we're light years away from both and both of their managers you have to say are rated.

We'll need some calamitous stuff from the big boys to get higher than 7th.

Koeman has to do better in the cups this year. Has to.
I think Klopp, like Koeman, has a pivotal season ahead. His reputation and personality have kept him floating now, and the attacking verve has shielded him from too much flack over the extremely ropey defence. Sound like anyone we used to know? No, I'm not suggesting he is a fraud, but it's very fine margins for top four, Chelsea and City have amazing teams, Mourinho always wins the league within two seasons in a job.. so even excluding us that's 3 into one, both with better squads and star players. He needs to make progress when he will probably find it hard to stay still.

Poch is rated, but his team has bottled it at least twice at big moments in the season. And their Wembley form is a question mark. And would he be as rated at the moment if he didn't strike gold by luck when Harry Kane emerged? Not saying he's not very damn good, just that he hasn't really achieved that much compared to previous Spurs managers. Somewhat better in the league than Redknapp, but worse in CL. Both had a game changer they didn't buy. I don't rate Redknapp. I do think Poch is better but not as godlike as many seem to see. Klopp may be all style too.. we shall see.
Wenger's lucky bastard status expired last April.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:38:18 AM by MrWhite »

July 27, 2017, 05:35:53 AM
Reply #73

MrWhite

Some of you guys are fucking mental.

Let me spell this out to you:
We are never, ever, ever going to win the league cup.

Put it out of your minds.
What if.. league suspended for WWIII. As a show of solidarity, the league cup is run on a voluntary basis. All teams not from Merseyside have chicken out, we beat Tranmere in a single round to claim the title.

Of course this assumes that Tranmere manage to win promotion before WWIII.

The shite of course will have relocated and joined a Norwegian league by then in order to be closer to their fanbase.

July 27, 2017, 05:47:14 AM
Reply #74

Ari

There is nothing realistic about a predict.  Mostly fun in my opinion.  We know nothing to be honest.  Everton have improved and so have other teams but if I think about it I predict that we will go further up the table (from last season position  7th).  I say 5th, to be realistic but 4th to be optimistic.