December 15, 2017, 08:31:24 AM

Author Topic: Is the squad better than last season?  (Read 8593 times)

September 04, 2017, 06:38:44 AM
Reply #150

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs are all suffering like us, not a single one of them got their required striker who scored 25 goals in the PL. They could struggle next year

Yes, but don't forget that none of those teams sold the striker who scored them 25 goals last season.  lolol

Seriously, the obsession with a number is over-simplification. I've pointed out more than once that it's important to consider how many points those goals got for us, as that is what we actually need to replace. It's all very nice having a 20+ goal scorer to laud over other teams, but to stay still we need to get the same points from the same teams for the most part (barring a Leicester Special type season from the whole league again). Take those games Rooney scored in, that has won us 4 points. From the same three fixtures last year, Lukaku scored 1 goal that won us 1 point. So based on the (limited!) evidence so far, we have not only swapped one striker for a more productive striker, we got the mugs at United to let him off his contract and give us 75m to boot. If that trend were to continue, it would look like one of the most inspired bits of business we've ever done!

@Bob Sacamano - fucking superb post that was mate. And the name check was the part I agreed with least.  :hail:

deCoubertin

September 04, 2017, 10:43:27 AM
Reply #151

Marky Mark and the funky

I've decided you can have this every time you insist on the same story .

Any chance you could find a smaller one?

There's nothing like teamwork when it comes to such serious cases of integrity :P

You might want to save a copy because the url on Google Photo is ridiculous (I don't think they want people using it to direct link like this).

September 04, 2017, 01:26:53 PM
Reply #152

Morta75

I would say NO. Pretty much the same. Missing a striker like Lukaku, but added quality other places as Keane in defense (best signing for us this summer in my opinion).

September 04, 2017, 04:17:24 PM
Reply #153

Lxxx

Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs are all suffering like us, not a single one of them got their required striker who scored 25 goals in the PL. They could struggle next year

Really? Chelsea spent 70m on Morata, City have spent a gazillion on forward players, Spurs have the best striker in the league over the past few years and Arsenal have Sanchez and a 50m strike partner. Liverpool are pretty free scoring too.

There is only us out of the top 7 who doesn't have a player who you'd back to get 15 goals let alone 25. 

September 04, 2017, 05:43:44 PM
Reply #154

Lxxx

I'd deffo say we are up there with regards to the clubs that strengthened where they needed it most.

The neighbours basically strengthened positions that they were already strong in. Still have a shot defence and shit goalie.

Arsenal bought a good goal scorer but judging by his social posts he's realised he's in for a tough one with that senile old prick in charge. This one will end in tears. Plus like half a dozen of their first team want to fuck off asap.

City, Chelsea and Utd aren't within our reach so don't matter so much. I think they all did good summer business, however, they all needed a key position filled. City are short a CB and we're frantically trying to buy, Utd same but with a winger, Chelsea needed a back up CF because I don't think anyone apart from @Evertonian in NC fancies Bats.

I actually think Spurs are the side needing the least out of everyone, they replaced their RB with a RB and bought cover at the back and up top.

Below us, Leicester made me twitch with a couple of very astute signings, but then @MrWhite reminded me that they literally have a big gaping whole in the centre of the park.

Not sure who else is in the chasing pack tbh.

We replaced two shit goalies with a fantastic looking one. Added a class act of a CB to replace a reality show winner Argentinian CB. Continue to blood a couple of (let's not mince words here) extremely good young English attackers. Replaced a wantaway AM with (statistically speaking) extremely effective Icelandic AM and a very decent looking Dutch lad. Then swapped Kone with a Barca graduate who bagged 14 la liga goals last season at the age of 21. Plus we've added Rooney, who has looked a level above what we've had in terms of experience and know how. Plus he's actually scored a couple.

Admittedly, Rom is a massive loss and would be to and side in the world. But I would honestly lay it all on the line and say that there will 100% be a striker coming in Jan. And I'd also bet it's a very, very good one. Someone will find themselves on the bench in a World Cup year and either move on or at the very least head in on loan to bang a few in for 6 months.

And then the fun begins all over again!

A James McCarthy sized hole, if the rumour they were after him in the summer is to be believed. Let's get him fit, wrap him in cotton wool until January and then present him with a nice big blue bow on.

September 04, 2017, 06:07:40 PM
Reply #155

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Really? Chelsea spent 70m on Morata, City have spent a gazillion on forward players, Spurs have the best striker in the league over the past few years and Arsenal have Sanchez and a 50m strike partner. Liverpool are pretty free scoring too.

There is only us out of the top 7 who doesn't have a player who you'd back to get 15 goals let alone 25. 
The only club to have bought a player who has scored over 20 in the PL was Man Unt. The rest have gambled on quality from abroad - players who want their success now not later via a team building project.
You'll be amazed how many people think the ideal player in every position is just out there and will come to Everton if we offer enough. Even buying success takes more than 15 months.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

September 04, 2017, 06:15:32 PM
Reply #156

hill135

I'm not really sure.

In goal we're obviously a lot better as Pickford looks the tits and Robles has gone from number 1 to not even in the squad.

In defence, Keane looks a good addition but we still have only one left back, no right backs who can give us what Coleman does and, for me, we're still lacking the necessary quality and quantity at centre back. Mori is injured so we only have three and two of those I feel we really need to be moving beyond.

In midfield we have added better depth and quality but I think a lot of that good work was undone by selling Barry and not replacing him as we now only have one player for perhaps the key role in defensive midfield.

In the wide areas we still have no wingers we can consistently rely on unless Vlasic or Lookman can seize the opportunity which remains to be seen. And we all know about the failure to replace Big Rom so no need to go in to that.

Looks to me like we're still going to be relaying on 13 or 14 players like last season. Even if we have improved I think, on paper, we've still moved further away from the top six as they've all improved more. 7th again this season, I reckon.

September 04, 2017, 06:22:51 PM
Reply #157

Lxxx

The only club to have bought a player who has scored over 20 in the PL was Man Unt. The rest have gambled on quality from abroad - players who want their success now not later via a team building project.
You'll be amazed how many people think the ideal player in every position is just out there and will come to Everton if we offer enough. Even buying success takes more than 15 months.

City didn't need to buy such a player as they have Aguero. Spurs similarly. Arsenal have Sanchez. Chelsea even still have Costa on their books. Lukaku has only reached 25 goals once in his career.

Your arbitrary figure of 25 isn't really relevant. Every team bar Liverpool have a proven top class striker who will get them upwards towards 20 goals a season. The shite will probably have 3 that will get over a dozen.
I don't think anyone was expecting Everton to buy a striker in this bracket, however it shouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility to buy a main striker in the level below, someone who would score at least a dozen.

Giroud would have been nice and maybe we did hold out for him for too long but it would have been prudent to have been working on a Plan B and C should Plan A not come off. I'm sure we were but if that was the case the results showed we weren't as tight on it as we should have been.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:23:52 PM by Lxxx »

September 04, 2017, 06:29:47 PM
Reply #158

Toddacelli

Still gutted we didn't get Lemos.

Still haven't seen him play.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 04, 2017, 06:31:32 PM
Reply #159

Bluedylan

Kevin Wimmer and Fernando Llorente would've solved a lot of issues for a combined 30m.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 04, 2017, 06:44:55 PM
Reply #160

Realist

There's nothing like teamwork when it comes to such serious cases of integrity :P

You might want to save a copy because the url on Google Photo is ridiculous (I don't think they want people using it to direct link like this).

Well done son, glad to see you're making good use of your spare time

September 04, 2017, 07:22:51 PM
Reply #161

Waltzer

Squad is better, first team is better as a whole, yet our chances of winning games has decreased and that'll be the telling factor at the end of the season.

September 04, 2017, 08:22:44 PM
Reply #162

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

What people are forgetting is that if we kept the same squad, you could pretty much guarantee that Lukaku and Barkley would NOT perform like they should. They would have spat their dummies out and slacked, or even just played at 75% (at best).

In the mean time, we have added a fantastic centre half, and a fantastic goalkeeper. We have added a few young attackers, and one not so young, and strengthened in many other areas. We have added one of the best, most consistent "number 10s" that people were crying out for too, at money we could only dream of in recent years. We have had solid news on a proper ground move, and investment which will further cement squad funds going forward.

So if you ask the question "is our squad better than last year". Then yes, 100%, it is abso-fucking-lutely better than last years!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:24:31 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

September 04, 2017, 08:39:44 PM
Reply #163

Lxxx

Squad is better, first team is better as a whole, yet our chances of winning games has decreased and that'll be the telling factor at the end of the season.

Chances of conceding silly goals has dramatically decreased which you could argue increases our chances of winning games.

September 04, 2017, 08:45:41 PM
Reply #164

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I feel like we're a bit of a mess at the minute, on and off the pitch.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.