November 24, 2017, 08:15:02 AM

Author Topic: Europa League play-off draw  (Read 5775 times)

August 06, 2017, 01:24:59 AM
Reply #135

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I see you've encountered my friend Escla. 😂

Ach, we've known each other ages AE, you will get on well with him, bless.

deCoubertin

August 06, 2017, 01:31:07 AM
Reply #136

Hajduk fan passing by

Hi all, just popped in to give a few info about Hajduk ( not Hadjuk ) as I'm sure it won't hurt.

So, the team:

- yes, we haven't been able to get through to group stages of EL for the last 6-7 years, but then again - that wasn't our main concern during that period, our main concern was to keep the club alive as it was on a verge of bancrupcy after the politicians had their way with it ( there was always some party members within the club's bord ).
Anyway, supportes decided to take matters into their own hands, refused the private investors that wanted to take over the club and thus "save" it and million by million lower our debts over the last years. Each year, at half season or at the end of it - we had to sell our best players to survive and in that state - couldn't really be competitors for winning our championship let alone to make it to group stages of EL, although we did have some favorable draw for the last 2 years but not enough luck or skill to make it.

Well, this year - we're finally clear of debts, haven't sold anyone important and even strengthen our team ( by Croatian league standards at least ) and have a coach that actually is here for some time now ( unlike seasons prior to this one ) which gave him time to make it clear to the team what he actually wants them to do.
For the 1st time in ages we're confident of a good season ahead of us. Does this mean we believe we'll beat Everton? Of course not. We're not fools, we Know the strength of yourteam regardless of the act you're our opponents to reach group stages of EL, but we can always hope for an upset.
As for our fans - modestly - they're one of the greatest out there and are bound to make a great atmosphere on our stadium but add to one on yours as well as I expect at least 3k traveling to your hometown.
Sure, there have been a lot of incidents over the years, but most are organized as the part of battle we have against our corrupted FA ( most of them are on trial for organized crime )  or against our eternal rivals - fans of dinamo zagreb, bad blue boys.
There's no rasicm here, nothing at all. There are a lot of people from all over the world that walk amongst domestic people, live here, start families here and even play for our club and there was never a single incident regarding someone's different color skin here, never.
The racism bans that UEFA awarded to our club - was for chants that have nothing to do with true racism, it's more like vocal insults to serbs - we have speacial names for them ever since we were in a war - or against FA officials, it's just that UEFA treats all those chants as racism...

Anyway, wish you guys all the best in your PL, disrupt the harmony of the supposed big ones, but give us little ones some slack in Europe xD

August 06, 2017, 02:02:11 AM
Reply #137

Major Clanger

I mean no one wants to run in with their ultras; as MC says, these are proper hard line nutters (without being too stereotypical probably with actual war experiences).

But in terms of them influencing the match they've not managed to do that, if they've even tried, to anyone in about 7 years by the looks of things.

Yeah, I was thinking about the trip being scary to fans, I don't think there'll be any trouble in the stadium that would affect the game though.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

August 06, 2017, 03:58:10 AM
Reply #138

American Evertonian

Hi all, just popped in to give a few info about Hajduk ( not Hadjuk ) as I'm sure it won't hurt.

So, the team:

- yes, we haven't been able to get through to group stages of EL for the last 6-7 years, but then again - that wasn't our main concern during that period, our main concern was to keep the club alive as it was on a verge of bancrupcy after the politicians had their way with it ( there was always some party members within the club's bord ).
Anyway, supportes decided to take matters into their own hands, refused the private investors that wanted to take over the club and thus "save" it and million by million lower our debts over the last years. Each year, at half season or at the end of it - we had to sell our best players to survive and in that state - couldn't really be competitors for winning our championship let alone to make it to group stages of EL, although we did have some favorable draw for the last 2 years but not enough luck or skill to make it.

Well, this year - we're finally clear of debts, haven't sold anyone important and even strengthen our team ( by Croatian league standards at least ) and have a coach that actually is here for some time now ( unlike seasons prior to this one ) which gave him time to make it clear to the team what he actually wants them to do.
For the 1st time in ages we're confident of a good season ahead of us. Does this mean we believe we'll beat Everton? Of course not. We're not fools, we Know the strength of yourteam regardless of the act you're our opponents to reach group stages of EL, but we can always hope for an upset.
As for our fans - modestly - they're one of the greatest out there and are bound to make a great atmosphere on our stadium but add to one on yours as well as I expect at least 3k traveling to your hometown.
Sure, there have been a lot of incidents over the years, but most are organized as the part of battle we have against our corrupted FA ( most of them are on trial for organized crime )  or against our eternal rivals - fans of dinamo zagreb, bad blue boys.
There's no rasicm here, nothing at all. There are a lot of people from all over the world that walk amongst domestic people, live here, start families here and even play for our club and there was never a single incident regarding someone's different color skin here, never.
The racism bans that UEFA awarded to our club - was for chants that have nothing to do with true racism, it's more like vocal insults to serbs - we have speacial names for them ever since we were in a war - or against FA officials, it's just that UEFA treats all those chants as racism...

Anyway, wish you guys all the best in your PL, disrupt the harmony of the supposed big ones, but give us little ones some slack in Europe xD

Welcome mate and thanks for the post. I'm sure those lucky enough to go will appreciate the clarification on your supporters
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

August 06, 2017, 04:06:37 AM
Reply #139

Evertonian in NC

Awesome to have a visiting fan here to discuss, welcome!  Can you give us a preview of your squad's strengths and weaknesses, as the match gets closer?  Look forward to a lively playoff round!

Very glad to hear no racism, we don't have any Serbs but our "hard man" is a Bosnian Muslim.  Who is also something of a maniac/cult hero.  Will that get the blood boiling? :D
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 06, 2017, 04:07:56 AM
Reply #140

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Awesome to have a visiting fan here to discuss, welcome!  Can you give us a preview of your squad's strengths and weaknesses, as the match gets closer?  Look forward to a lively playoff round!

Very glad to hear no racism, we don't have any Serbs but our "hard man" is a Bosnian Muslim.  Who is also something of a maniac/cult hero.  Will that get the blood boiling? :D

Wait..isn't Con a Serb ?

August 06, 2017, 04:27:58 AM
Reply #141

Major Clanger

I'm from Hungary, so I've seen how this works with the UEFA :)

But ultras are a complex bunch, there are always a few dangerous nutters amongst them.

They admittedly do a lot of good in the local community too, like the Torcida fighting the wildfires a couple of weeks ago. (By the way, I hope your city will recover quickly. It must have been pretty scary.)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

August 06, 2017, 05:02:27 AM
Reply #142

Everton Mint

I wonder if they will target Rooney & try to wind him up ?  He still has a bit of fire in him and could react.

Lesser teams often used to try this to unsettle the oposition through their captain.

I wasnt thinking that the crowd could affect our players. I meant if the Split team were full of snidey tricks which we dont see in the PL.

August 06, 2017, 05:09:58 AM
Reply #143

Everton Mint

What are you on about?

Have Rooney, Klaassen, Barry, Schniderlin, Mirallas, Baines and Jagielka not played in Europe before? Can't be arsed doing the maths but I bet there's probably a couple of hundred CL/EL games experience there.

Let's not forget Ashley Williams international experience either.

We have a hell of a lot more experience than the Split squad has.

Experienced they may be, but I've often heard us described as 'too nice'... and thats in the PL.

August 06, 2017, 12:33:58 PM
Reply #144

Hajduk fan passing by

Goalkeeper ( Dante Stipica ) is good, but still not good enough ( or at least has to prove himself to us xD ) as our last one ( Lovre Kalinic ) whom we sold to Gent during last winter ( that was the deal that finally brought us back to positive balance ).

Centreback x2 ( Borja Lopez and Zoran Nizic ) - they seem like real powerhouses for us this season so far and work really well together. The only slight weakness that might prove to be are defensive set pieces as we tend to cover space more than mark man which led to receiving 1 goal in the only league match we haven't won ( after leading 2:0 ), butthen again they've resolved a lot of similar situations without problems and are pretty high so in general that shouldn't be a problem

Left back ( Memolla ) - it's his 2nd season here and after years and years - we might finally have a centre back that actually plays good. He wasn't that good last season but has developed since. He does have a replacement ( Formitchow ) that we got here on free transfer in the last transfer window but he's just a back up for now.

Right back - we really don't have a genuine right back. Last year a central midfielder played that role ( Juranovic ) and actually was quite decent which brought him to Croatia B team for some tournament but suffered a bad injury that led him being injured for months. After him Tudor, right winger filled the spot and in months to come learned to play defense ( made it to B team too but as a winger ) and was a decent player for the position, but a month or so ago - he got injured as well ( should be back soon ) which made Juranovic ( who just got back from his injury ) right back again.
So this position might be our biggest weakness

Defensive midfielder(s) - I think we'll play with 2 against you guys with 1 being Radosevic  ( a true bulldog  - agrresively attacking the ball as soon as the opposition takes control of it ) and the other one Savvas, greek which has its good and invisible games both but is good in winning air duels and is better technicall player than Radosevic.

Central midfielders - Hamza Barry - a decent technicall player who still has a lot to improve but is certainly playing better than last year

Right wing - Nikola Vlasic, our best player at age 19 only - he loves to take opposition left backs 1 on 1  but is familiar with going through to the middle as well if the flank is too crowded. Very hard to take the ball from and doesn't fall easily ( there were a couple of situations against Brondby where he'd take on a couple of their players and either pass them all or ended with a foul on him. He's playing the season of his life and knows it, our main strength.

Left wing - Ante Erceg - he's more a forward than a winger. Can be invisible for entire game and then score 2 goals out of nowhere like he did against Brondby, has a great sense of finding himself in goal scoring opportunities, our target man for fast breaks.

Forward - our coach forces last year league's top goal scorer Futacs who isn't in his best form yet. He's a big man who likes to get the ball into his feet while carrying opposition centre back on his back and then just lay the ball off to one of our midfielders. He's very aggresive player that tends to get yellow carded but makes the opposition get them as well, there's always a battle for position between him and the man who marks him. He's isn't fast, but should be allowed any space around your box - he'll probably shoot. We do have other options there such as Ohandza, our jocker from the bench who is a better player by my standards- just had a lot of injuries which finally seem to be the past. He's diff type, likes the ball to be directed in the space in front of him and very good in 1 on 1 situations.

Anyway, we'll probably go on defensive style lurking fast breaks through Vlasic or Barry and be knocking the ball towards Futacs all the time hoping he can take control of it just enough time to lay it off to our incoming midfielders and thus continue the break.

Vlasic the main strength and right back possibly the main weakness.

August 06, 2017, 12:45:53 PM
Reply #145

Hajduk fan passing by

Well we have and have had bosnians/muslims in our team as well so that fact alone isn't a problem ( all of us had refugees of theirs in our homes during the war ). But there can always happen random chants against him ( like Balija ) should he be involved in some harder tackle against one of ours but I presume that would only be a few and not loud enough to be heard amongst other chants.
We've had this situation against Levski when we played them on smaller stadium of our 2nd division neighboors where you could hear quite well ( 5,000 capacity ) anything chanted where their Serb right back made a bit harder tackle on 1 of our own which resulted in few chants towards him for which we were originally banned with empty stadium 1 game until UEFA accepted our appeal ( official delegate had no issues reported after the game ) and just closed 1 section for brondby game.
But Poljud is much larger ( 35k ), it will be full and Torcida rarely even realizes what's going on at the pitch ( they're in their zone chanting ) to be reacting like that.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:49:14 PM by Hajduk fan passing by »

August 06, 2017, 01:50:56 PM
Reply #146

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Showing signs like this doesnt fil me with confidence @Hajduk fan passing by  And you were playing a team from Bulgaria not Serbia.  As stated I love Croatia and the people but when it comes to sport it seems as all reason disappear.

August 06, 2017, 02:26:07 PM
Reply #147

hamshank33

Kevin Mirallas doesn't look happy with that sign bottom right.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?hmm hmm?

August 06, 2017, 02:31:43 PM
Reply #148

Bally

Administrator

So, the team:

Excellent.... Cheers man
It's the roll I way

August 06, 2017, 02:50:41 PM
Reply #149

Hajduk fan passing by

Showing signs like this doesnt fil me with confidence @Hajduk fan passing by  And you were playing a team from Bulgaria not Serbia.  As stated I love Croatia and the people but when it comes to sport it seems as all reason disappear.

Naah, that sign has nothing to do with rasicm. The main color of our team is white and the nick is more or less "Whites" or "Bili" in our language.
"Bijeli" would be grammatically correct, but "Bili" is dalmatian ( our region ) version of the word.
As said before - we have and have had all sorts of races and diff religion players within our team and more or less adored them, like cameroonian Ohandza now, or Liberian Mass Sarr 18 years ago. Not to mention that this is a touristic region that attracts all sorts of people from all over the world and no incidents have happened nor there's a reason for it.
Sure, they'll always be some drunken morons which may cause some minor stupidity - but we have those all over the world.