October 20, 2017, 05:49:43 PM

Author Topic: Is Koeman the right man for the job?  (Read 9048 times)

September 09, 2017, 11:43:45 PM
Reply #225

Bluedylan

Can anyone tell me what our plan is with the ball, and what our pattern of play is to attempt to break teams down?

(over a season into the job)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

deCoubertin

September 09, 2017, 11:45:15 PM
Reply #226

kramer0

Can anyone tell me what our plan is with the ball, and what our pattern of play is to attempt to break teams down?

Play the ball over the top or cross it for Lukaku.

September 09, 2017, 11:49:38 PM
Reply #227

sam of the south

It seems to be to get the ball to full-backs that can't/arent very good at getting forward that can't cross it into a striker that isn't there.

It also seems to be to pass the ball sporadically, and ponderously around, whilst nobody moves for the player on the ball.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 09, 2017, 11:56:54 PM
Reply #228

Mayor Farnum

It depends on what the job is.

Is it to safely keep Everton upper mid-table? Then yes, he's the man.

Is it to get us closer to, or even ahead of, the six clubs that are currently better than us? No, barring a sustained run of luck.

We're paying him all of that money, and spending tons on the types of players he wants, for the modern Premier League equivalent of Moyes results. It's a huge waste. We could get a lot more for the amount of money we're willing to spend.

Edit: In retrospect, it's a slightly disturbing that unattached Lucien Favre was on our shortlist but we chose to pay a ton for Koeman instead. We spent more for a manager with an inferior track record. The board needs to stop worrying about this "proven in England" nonsense. The majority of the top-end PL managers, and even players, that we've seen in recent years have come from outside of England. You get less for more when you shop in the Premier League.

That's the budget he is working with so any manager would struggle to make an impact on the teams above us unless we show real ambition.

His results are worse than Moyes's. Just like every manager we've had since Moyes.

September 10, 2017, 12:03:19 AM
Reply #229

Realist

I'm getting that Martinez vibe from him. Just hope it doesn't take as long as it took to get of Roberto as it does for Koeman.
At least we played some great attacking football under Martinez but we were shit at the back, now we're shit at the back and awful going forwards too

September 10, 2017, 12:04:15 AM
Reply #230

Marky Mark and the funky

Edit: In retrospect, it's a slightly disturbing that unattached Lucien Favre was on our shortlist but we chose to pay a ton for Koeman instead. We spent more for a manager with an inferior track record. The board needs to stop worrying about this "proven in England" nonsense. The majority of the top-end PL managers, and even players, that we've seen in recent years have come from outside of England. You get less for more when you shop in the Premier League.

Just curious on this one aspect because, at the time of the brown-shoes imposter getting sacked, I did research some of the managers we were linked with and remember being excited about this one. Did he not reject us because a firm offer came in from Nice whilst we were still debating on potential candidates?

September 10, 2017, 12:07:39 AM
Reply #231

Realist

That's the budget he is working with so any manager would struggle to make an impact on the teams above us unless we show real ambition.

His results are worse than Moyes's. Just like every manager we've had since Moyes.

It's not even about making an impact on what happens above us, we're going backwards massively and the team looks a mess with no direction

September 10, 2017, 12:20:25 AM
Reply #232

kramer0

Am I the only one who hated the attacking play in Martinez's last two seasons?

I thought lumping it to Lukaku was actually an improvement.

September 10, 2017, 12:21:13 AM
Reply #233

KoemansNumberTens

It's not even about making an impact on what happens above us, we're going backwards massively and the team looks a mess with no direction

I'll have you a bet we finish top half. Any amount of money you like (within reason)

September 10, 2017, 12:21:59 AM
Reply #234

Realist

Someone might be able to tell you, Koeman won't because he doesn't know himself the joke

September 10, 2017, 12:22:41 AM
Reply #235

KoemansNumberTens

Yeah it was shite. His attacking play was just to keep it and hope

I'd actually be happy for us to sign crouch now and play long ball. Least that's a complete system of play we'd have the elements for. We seem to not have the squad to play any style at the moment

September 10, 2017, 12:23:13 AM
Reply #236

Realist

I'll have you a bet we finish top half. Any amount of money you like (within reason)

I'll bet you any amount you want that we finish below where we finished last year

September 10, 2017, 12:30:09 AM
Reply #237

Realist

Probably because Lukaku was / is a great striker, it'd be a terrible style of play with a poor striker

September 10, 2017, 12:34:43 AM
Reply #238

BlueBeagle

Everything about his play was abysmal, front and back.

September 10, 2017, 12:35:44 AM
Reply #239

Marky Mark and the funky

You know we're fucked when you're left debating the relative merits of trying to sideways pass our way up to Lukaku, vs playing direct balls in to Lukaku, when the key point is we no longer have anything close to a Lukaku :(