December 14, 2017, 10:32:47 AM

Author Topic: Is Koeman the right man for the job?  (Read 11210 times)

September 10, 2017, 05:24:19 AM
Reply #345

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
No it was the response to the point of dreading to think where we're going to end up.

I agree but at the same time with what has happened in the transfer windows since, I do worry how the landscape of the prem has changed.

Moshiri said we had one window...have we done enough?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

deCoubertin

September 10, 2017, 05:25:01 AM
Reply #346

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm feeling v. dramatic this evening btw
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 10, 2017, 05:28:07 AM
Reply #347

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
How many, "I would love for him to prove me wrong" posts have we had? I love it when people do that. Forum equivalent of agnosticism

September 10, 2017, 05:36:26 AM
Reply #348

sam of the south

I'm feeling v. dramatic this evening btw

I'm drained when it comes to Everton.

Moshiri's cringy interview.

Koeman publically dissing Barkley and ostracising Niasse.

Rushing through the sale of Lukaku, then not getting a replacement for him, and reinstating Niasse in the squad.

Having no pace or width of note.

Getting a clutch of No.10's.

Spending a fortune on Sigurdsson but not getting a target man to get on the end of his set-pieces.

Sigurdsson not taking corners today!

The general shit football.

Four shots on target in the last four games or something.

Not even competing against Spurs or Chelsea.

No signs of pass and move, or a coherent strategy to attack in general.

Williams and Martina playing over Jagielka and Holgate.

There's just very little to get excited about.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 10, 2017, 05:39:19 AM
Reply #349

Tony Clifton

Cuco definitely has some dirt on Ronald...

Tottenham movement made it difficult for Cuco Martina admits Ronald Koeman

"They found the free player in the midfield too easily and that made it really tough."

But the Blues boss absolved right-back Cuco Martina of blame for the one-sided rout.

The defender was involved in Spurs' second and third goals - after Harry Kane had opened the scoring with a fluke - but Koeman said that the system was to blame, not the individual.

"I don't like to talk too tactical," said Koeman "but the problem was the movement from Alli and Eriksen made it very difficult for Martina because most of the time he needed to come inside because Eriksen was close to him.

"Okay, then you leave maybe too much space against Davies. It was not a fault by Martina. It was a team organisation that we did not control and that was the reason to change it at half-time."

Is it just me or does that not read like blame the midfield, not Cuco

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tottenham-movement-made-difficult-cuco-13597026

September 10, 2017, 06:06:35 AM
Reply #350

blueski

"They found the free player in the midfield too easily and that made it really tough."

But the Blues boss absolved right-back Cuco Martina of blame for the one-sided rout.

The defender was involved in Spurs' second and third goals - after Harry Kane had opened the scoring with a fluke - but Koeman said that the system was to blame, not the individual.

"I don't like to talk too tactical," said Koeman "but the problem was the movement from Alli and Eriksen made it very difficult for Martina because most of the time he needed to come inside because Eriksen was close to him.

"Okay, then you leave maybe too much space against Davies. It was not a fault by Martina. It was a team organisation that we did not control and that was the reason to change it at half-time."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tottenham-movement-made-difficult-cuco-13597026
Reading this more along the lines of koeman getting things wrong

- pochettino spotted Martina as a weakness and intentionally doubled him
 Also koeman picked him both by signing him and by picking him on the day
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:07:39 AM by blueski »
Nil Satis

September 10, 2017, 06:16:40 AM
Reply #351

Rhys

Won't really make any difference who the manager is, until the board show real ambition in bringing in world class players, and keeping the current star performers instead of selling one every summer, nothing in my opinion changes.

Why would world class players come to us? Genuine question.

I'm sure the board would love to bring in world class players however given we've never been in the Champions League, not won a trophy for 22 years, been in Europe twice in about 7 years and cant blow the better teams out the water financially we just cant go out and attract world class players.

September 10, 2017, 06:23:24 AM
Reply #352

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
We seemingly can't attract even a half decent striker let alone a world class one.

September 10, 2017, 06:31:06 AM
Reply #353

Realist

Koeman isn't shy about giving it to players in public, yet Cuco the clown plays like that and has a hand in two of their goals and he defends him, it's pathetic

September 10, 2017, 07:15:09 AM
Reply #354

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Today wasn't Martina's fault. He's getting an absolutely panning on twitter but you don't lose 3-0 at home due to your RB.

September 10, 2017, 09:15:55 AM
Reply #355

Jamokachi

Fully prepared for the flack here... IF he was to go (which incidentally I think is far too early currently to be considering) I'd agree with @MartinezsLeftTeste here (cue hell freezing over), in that I'd honestly take a chance on Unsworth. Call me mad.

September 10, 2017, 10:56:33 AM
Reply #356

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber

Am I the only one reading that as Koeman admitting he was at fault? In broken English.. he keeps saying "we" and blames it on team organisation. Unless anyone thinks that he thinks someone else organises the team?

September 10, 2017, 11:04:01 AM
Reply #357

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Today wasn't Martina's fault. He's getting an absolutely panning on twitter but you don't lose 3-0 at home due to your RB.
True. He made a couple of mistakes, and was left exposed against Davies who kept having him for breakfast. The problem was leaving Eriksen space in the middle and failing to track runners. Basically we were poorly organised and didn't put in a shift, as a team.

Of course, it's much easier to pick a culprit or two and shout as loudly as possible that they are absolutely fucking shite. I've got faith that people with far greater knowledge and understanding of football will be doing something a little more productive. And probably thinking and speaking like adults who have control of their emotions while working to resolve these issues. I seriously doubt any of those people are reading this thread.

September 10, 2017, 11:07:18 AM
Reply #358

Bluedylan

He's not going to go anywhere this season. We'll finish 7th or 8th, and that will be more than enough to keep him in a job. It's silly to call for his head, and I certainly wouldn't advocate that. I just get the feeling this season is going to be very bland and predictable, unless we happen to win a cup or go near to winning a cup.

I look around at other managers at clubs we're trying to compete with and a number of them have different strengths:

Klopp's a great man motivator who gets his players willing to run through walls for him. He also produces an exciting brand of football. Conte is a master tactician and innovative thinker in football terms. Mourinho is also a great man motivator and a very good tactician defensively. Poch is a very good tactician, very flexible and he improves almost everyone who plays under him markedly. Guardiola plays great football (admittedly with amazing players) and tries to educate and develop his players significantly. Wenger's not what he used to be, but at his best he improved his players significantly and played superb attacking football.

What's Koeman's vision and trademark?

He can organise a defence, granted, but plenty of average managers can do that. He's a pragmatist, and not massively wedded to a particular shape or style. Does he markedly improve players who play under him, with training and tactical instruction? I'm not seeing any evidence of that at all. What is his attacking plan with the ball? Has he got a discernible style of football that he's trying to drum into the players, like many of the most successful managers do? Not that I'm seeing.

He's into his pressing, although I'm not sure it's structured, intelligent pressing. I almost get the feeling he heard that we like pressing at Everton from Graham Stuart and Snods (in response to the Martinez dross), and decided he'd better try his hand at it, without really having a coherent plan for it.

He seems to love a long diagonal, judging by the number of them we play. What's our pattern of play in trying to break teams down? Where are we creating overloads on the pitch, to outnumber and hurt the opposition? We couldn't keep the ball against Ruzumberok at times. We couldn't keep the ball for long periods against Stoke. We couldn't keep the ball with a numerical advantage for a long time against Man City.

Yes, there are extenuating circumstances. We have some key injuries, we didn't get the striker we needed, we've got a really hard run of fixtures when trying to fit new players in. And it's far too soon to write Koeman off generally.

But...I'm just not convinced we're going anywhere special with him. To finish higher than 7th we need something to set us apart. I don't see any tactical innovation, I don't see a grand footballing vision, I don't see players developing massively under his tutelage. We've bought some good players, but he's far too obsessed with 'proven Premier League' as his criteria. Most of the best players in this league had never played in the Prem before they came here, so let's fuck that right off. There's loads of 'proven Premier League' players who are fucking rubbish.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 10, 2017, 12:34:20 PM
Reply #359

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Fully prepared for the flack here... IF he was to go (which incidentally I think is far too early currently to be considering) I'd agree with @MartinezsLeftTeste here (cue hell freezing over), in that I'd honestly take a chance on Unsworth. Call me mad.

Stop being a WUM Jamo. It's so obvious mate
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...