October 17, 2017, 09:08:05 AM

Author Topic: Is Koeman the right man for the job?  (Read 8850 times)

September 10, 2017, 12:44:17 PM
Reply #360

Lazarou

I'm drained when it comes to Everton.

Moshiri's cringy interview.

Koeman publically dissing Barkley and ostracising Niasse.

Rushing through the sale of Lukaku, then not getting a replacement for him, and reinstating Niasse in the squad.

Having no pace or width of note.

Getting a clutch of No.10's.

Spending a fortune on Sigurdsson but not getting a target man to get on the end of his set-pieces.

Sigurdsson not taking corners today!

The general shit football.

Four shots on target in the last four games or something.

Not even competing against Spurs or Chelsea.

No signs of pass and move, or a coherent strategy to attack in general.

Williams and Martina playing over Jagielka and Holgate.

There's just very little to get excited about.

Totally agree, I am feeling apathetic already. All roads lead to the mangers door. He has really surprised me how tactically inept he has looked.

Trying to fit all your best players in the starting 11 to detriment of your team is very Sunday league.

deCoubertin

September 10, 2017, 12:45:52 PM
Reply #361

eyesalwaysblue

Fully prepared for the flack here... IF he was to go (which incidentally I think is far too early currently to be considering) I'd agree with @MartinezsLeftTeste here (cue hell freezing over), in that I'd honestly take a chance on Unsworth. Call me mad.
Thats not mad i'd welcome it right now, i'm biased I can't stand the man as a manager, he was a great player and all that but a tactical moose, it can't and won't happen he will be given to the end of his contract unless they find out he eats children or something.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 10, 2017, 01:08:22 PM
Reply #362

Bluedylan

Thats not mad i'd welcome it right now, i'm biased I can't stand the man as a manager, he was a great player and all that but a tactical moose, it can't and won't happen he will be given to the end of his contract unless they find out he eats children or something.

Sorry but that's a ludicrous opinion to have at this stage. Fair enough if you're uninspired or unimpressed, but how anyone can say they can't stand him as a manager is beyond me. He's taken us from 11th to 7th, and more than likely will get 7th again. It's solid and safe, not something worthy of hatred.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

September 10, 2017, 01:42:36 PM
Reply #363

Jamokachi

Stop being a WUM Jamo. It's so obvious mate

Not at all. Although I see what you're doing. In the director of football and first team coach system we're now operating I believe we could take a chance on Unsworth's inexperience. You mentioned before that Koeman doesn't get Everton/Evertonians and I agree. Our most successful managers have been just that. Unsworth fits that bill completely. I'd love to see him given a shot and make a success of it. It would make any success even sweeter.

September 10, 2017, 01:52:45 PM
Reply #364

eyesalwaysblue

Sorry but that's a ludicrous opinion to have at this stage. Fair enough if you're uninspired or unimpressed, but how anyone can say they can't stand him as a manager is beyond me. He's taken us from 11th to 7th, and more than likely will get 7th again. It's solid and safe, not something worthy of hatred.
Iv'e hated his management since the Liverpool game at our place last season, he has not improved any, if anything it's worse because he has made signings for himself, Pickford and Keane good additions but obvious ones to make, the rest totally underwhelming, but the "winging it" feel just stays with me, i know we will have to lose some games some see as bankers before more alarm bells ring, but they will come if he stays on this unimaginative path. It's not a personal hatred of the man just his style,although plenty of warning smoke on his one to one player management.

September 10, 2017, 02:05:27 PM
Reply #365

eyesalwaysblue

Not at all. Although I see what you're doing. In the director of football and first team coach system we're now operating I believe we could take a chance on Unsworth's inexperience. You mentioned before that Koeman doesn't get Everton/Evertonians and I agree. Our most successful managers have been just that. Unsworth fits that bill completely. I'd love to see him given a shot and make a success of it. It would make any success even sweeter.
Sometimes the gold is right under your nose.

September 10, 2017, 02:15:28 PM
Reply #366

blue slug

I've said for a while that I just don't see us having a style of play or any cohesiveness and that has to be down to the manager, still early days though so hopefully we will turn it around

September 10, 2017, 02:33:21 PM
Reply #367

BlueMaquis

His backers are right that there's not yet enough evidence that he doesn't know what he's doing, but is there any evidence that he does know what he's doing? And is it footballing evidence, not based on reputation as a player?

I've seen little of Unsworth since I don't watch the U23s, but when we played Norwich after Martinez was fired was the last time for that I've seen an Everton side gel and play together successfully as a team. We had a clear plan and the players were driven and carried it out. It was the Everton I want to see. That is enough evidence for me to give him a go.

September 10, 2017, 02:42:41 PM
Reply #368

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He only has a three year contract doesn't he?

Getting us firm foundations is this part of the process. I think to move on a new manager will be required. Like Chelsea in their early days moved up through different managers based on their status.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

September 10, 2017, 02:49:45 PM
Reply #369

van der Meyde

I joke about wanting Koeman out, but if we aren't able to appoint somebody of the appropriate caliber what's the point?

The jokes are born from truth though. I don't particularly rate him, despite him being plenty good enough for us to finish 7th.

It might be a bit hotheaded to want him replaced, but as we've seen with the transfer window, sometimes patience just doesn't get you anywhere.

Our issues over these tough three games haven't been a result of players bedding in. They've been tactical and structural.

We are the narrowest (and slowest) team going. It leaves our full backs exposed defensively, particularly when playing with 4 at the back. It makes it much more difficult to retain possession because we don't have options in space. As for our attack? I'll let this season speak for itself. When we move the ball around quickly and catch defences off guard we're okay, we're not doing that too much though.

These are all problems that people on a messageboard have foreseen and that we've had for a while. That Koeman seemingly did nothing to try to address them doesn't particularly bode well for our future progression. 

If we want to finish the 7th, he's a good man for the job. His defensive solidity and our general quality will see us most of the way there. If we want to close the gap or compete for trophies? We should probably replace him the second we can bring in a credible alternative.

September 10, 2017, 02:55:11 PM
Reply #370

Mayor Farnum

His backers are right that there's not yet enough evidence that he doesn't know what he's doing, but is there any evidence that he does know what he's doing? And is it footballing evidence, not based on reputation as a player?

I've seen little of Unsworth since I don't watch the U23s, but when we played Norwich after Martinez was fired was the last time for that I've seen an Everton side gel and play together successfully as a team. We had a clear plan and the players were driven and carried it out. It was the Everton I want to see. That is enough evidence for me to give him a go.

If your reference point is a home game against an already relegated side twenty-four hours after the most popular decision in five seasons there will be a lot of candidates that will come up to scratch.

September 10, 2017, 02:56:29 PM
Reply #371

Bluedylan

He only has a three year contract doesn't he?

Getting us firm foundations is this part of the process. I think to move on a new manager will be required. Like Chelsea in their early days moved up through different managers based on their status.

Approximately 220m spent for 'firm foundations', 7th place ceiling and long diagonals to no-one seems like a low bar to me.

I think at least 10-12 managers (being conservative) in the Prem could finish 7th with our squad, armed with 220m (even with the sale of Stones and Lukaku). And some of them would even get the team playing some football, as an added bonus.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

September 10, 2017, 02:57:31 PM
Reply #372

Mac934

Play the ball over the top or cross it for Lukaku.
Pass sideways a few times, then back to Pickford to lump it upfield to the new centre forward.........oh hang on a minute!

September 10, 2017, 03:11:28 PM
Reply #373

Marky Mark and the funky

I'm not particularly convinced Koeman is going to lead us to great things so I will happily agree with that general point.

However, it seems harsh to be picking apart his deficiencies quite so much when we are only 4 matches into the season, having faced the misfortune of playing top-four teams, with established first-elevens and systems; so regardless of how suitable our signings turn out to be we are currently starting with 7 new players and we look like it.

Realised after posting @van der Meyde has already partially shot down what I said above, but meh I've typed it out so might as well show it
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:14:13 PM by Marky Mark and the funky »

September 10, 2017, 03:12:14 PM
Reply #374

Realist

I strongly dislike having Koeman as manager right now but if he went who would honestly take the job?

Could we attract a world class manager?
All we can offer is a good wage (which most clubs can now) and not much else