October 14, 2019, 05:49:43 PM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 15934 times)

August 08, 2017, 09:55:28 PM
Read 15934 times

Evertonian in NC

very worthwhile bench option - who else would you want to come in when we need pace?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 18, 2017, 11:03:53 PM
Reply #1

Evertonian in NC

You can start him here and there in Europa, impact sub in the Prem.  Why loan him out?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 19, 2017, 03:54:59 AM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

I forgot about the Cups, it's like we already got fucking knocked out.  We have enough depth now that we can use players not getting regular Prem starts, but it will be exciting rather than seeming like we are giving up.

September 19, 2017, 07:33:52 PM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

I want him to try the extravagant. People complaining at him trying to take on multiple players - this is the English disease. That's why you end up with pace merchants and nothing else from English wingers. I don't expect him to take it through an entire team but more game time will allow him to naturally judge what is possible. If he has to calculate this every time he has the ball then you're going to end up with a percentages player and shouts of 'headless chicken'. He must be encouraged to do the unexpected.

This is also why you play him 60-90 minutes v. Sunderland, not bring him off the bench.  How is he supposed to improve his decision making without ample first-team minutes?

And no, he doesn't need to go on loan, either.  He's good enough to play at this level, we just have to pick our spots (but not be so paranoid and stingy about them).

September 19, 2017, 09:11:05 PM
Reply #4

Evertonian in NC

And you're basing that on what?

What I saw last season.  He has some rough edges, sure.  He's young.

But he also has skills that this squad lacks completely.  Mainly speed, directness, and aggression.  Plus a nose for the goal, as we seem to put an XI out there where Rooney seems like the only man who knows where the goal even is.  When the plan revolves around Rooney that much, you are using him very, very poorly and the results will be very, very bad (as they have been - and it's not Rooney's fault). 

It's up to the coaching staff to focus that raw energy correctly on the pitch.