October 24, 2017, 02:05:06 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 6749 times)

August 20, 2017, 03:44:42 PM
Reply #90

Toddacelli

No we need to keep him with us. He'll get plenty of minutes.

But why does he always look so worried when he plays?
He has the same facial affliction as Lennon - a face people like to interpret.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

deCoubertin

September 18, 2017, 05:51:26 PM
Reply #91

Bacarelle

I am sorry to raise this as I am sure someone else must have.

However, back in August I commented that Lookman would be vital in injecting pace into what appeared to be a rather lethargic looking lineup.

Has anyone any idea why he isn't even on the bench during our present troubles. Is it injury or has he just upset Koeman ?
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

September 18, 2017, 05:54:34 PM
Reply #92

hannu

I am sorry to raise this as I am sure someone else must have.

However, back in August I commented that Lookman would be vital in injecting pace into what appeared to be a rather lethargic looking lineup.

Has anyone any idea why he isn't even on the bench during our present troubles. Is it injury or has he just upset Koeman ?

koeman hates anyone who is faster than he is

September 18, 2017, 05:59:52 PM
Reply #93

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
koeman hates anyone who is faster than he is

That explains so much. :)

September 18, 2017, 06:05:28 PM
Reply #94

Lxxx

I can see why he might want to shield him from playing and getting tanked against better teams than us.

September 18, 2017, 06:10:43 PM
Reply #95

Lincs Toffee

He'll be playing Wednesday, him and Martina (however much you hate him) do link up well
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

September 18, 2017, 07:39:24 PM
Reply #96

van der Meyde

Koeman's told him to do one.

September 19, 2017, 05:43:36 AM
Reply #97

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's even worse than Barkley for losing the ball carelessly.

At the minute we look so frail on the break he's probably concerned that having Lookman on might be exciting but it'll probably cost us points when he gets in nicked off him.

I expect to see him Wednesday though tbh. Look forward to it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 19, 2017, 05:48:20 AM
Reply #98

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
He's even worse than Barkley for losing the ball carelessly.

At the minute we look so frail on the break he's probably concerned that having Lookman on might be exciting but it'll probably cost us points when he gets in nicked off him.

I expect to see him Wednesday though tbh. Look forward to it.

If losing the ball carelessly was a reason for not getting picked, Rooney wouldn't be making the starting XI anytime soon again. If Barkley had given the ball away as much as him during that Man United game, it would've been held up as an example of why Koeman doesn't pick him.

That said, I think Lookman is better off the bench right now.

September 19, 2017, 05:50:38 AM
Reply #99

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
If losing the ball carelessly was a reason for not getting picked, Rooney wouldn't be making the starting XI anytime soon again. If Barkley had given the ball away as much as him during that Man United game, it would've been held up as an example of why Koeman doesn't pick him.

Yeah he's weird rooney. Either a cut above or insanely sloppy, often within mins of one another.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 19, 2017, 06:03:41 AM
Reply #100

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Since his first game he hasn't actually played that well when given the opportunity.
Hes fast and he likes a trick, but his decision making is very poor (understandable given his age), he loses the ball a lot.
I think he'll come good once he starts to improve in these areas, but so far I can't see how he's warranted a place in the side. A decent game mid week might be enough to change people's minds though.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 19, 2017, 06:35:13 AM
Reply #101

Rhys

It isnt just losing the ball, it is where and how you lose it. Every time Lookman has played he looks like he has a lot of talent but not an understanding of how to use his talents fully and not a great appreciation of what is needed in what situations. For instance times when he has been in our half and he has tried to take two people on where there is minimal benefit for it working against passing it and moving forward into space whereas the risk if you lose it is huge. Or even in the other half when he has got past someone had space to drive into and he's slowed it down and come back.

I'd have him on the bench because if you need something to happen he is different to what we have, he can do something out of nothing and I really dont see much point in Mirallas any more aside from he plays with more sense than Lookman if you are winning. But I dont see a player who is ready for regular starts for us like a lot seem to think, I think its a case of people liking the idea of what he could be than the reality of the level he is at right now and people might get frustrated with him if he played 10 games in a row for losing the ball a lot, making daft decisions and frustrating more than he does good.

Not that there is anything wrong with that because he is a teenager and someone who came into academy football relatively late so he will have a different learning curve. We can all see the talent is there but same with DCL there is a clamour for him because of the problems we have in the squad rather than him being ready to play week in week out in my opinion.

September 19, 2017, 06:51:03 AM
Reply #102

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
It isnt just losing the ball, it is where and how you lose it. Every time Lookman has played he looks like he has a lot of talent but not an understanding of how to use his talents fully and not a great appreciation of what is needed in what situations. For instance times when he has been in our half and he has tried to take two people on where there is minimal benefit for it working against passing it and moving forward into space whereas the risk if you lose it is huge. Or even in the other half when he has got past someone had space to drive into and he's slowed it down and come back.

I'd have him on the bench because if you need something to happen he is different to what we have, he can do something out of nothing and I really dont see much point in Mirallas any more aside from he plays with more sense than Lookman if you are winning. But I dont see a player who is ready for regular starts for us like a lot seem to think, I think its a case of people liking the idea of what he could be than the reality of the level he is at right now and people might get frustrated with him if he played 10 games in a row for losing the ball a lot, making daft decisions and frustrating more than he does good.

Not that there is anything wrong with that because he is a teenager and someone who came into academy football relatively late so he will have a different learning curve. We can all see the talent is there but same with DCL there is a clamour for him because of the problems we have in the squad rather than him being ready to play week in week out in my opinion.

Agree with all that. I don't think he or DCL are ready, but necessity needs us to consider using them at the moment for the attributes they have. I'd also agree that there is little point to playing Mirallas now more than ever, I'd rather give the 10 mins to one of the others if that was a choice.

Wasn't sure if you were suggesting Rooney wasn't giving it away in poor positions though? As I thought he has let the opposition have the ball in great position a number of times this season, and very noticeably I felt against Man United.

September 19, 2017, 01:12:21 PM
Reply #103

Juanito

Yeah he's weird rooney. Either a cut above or insanely sloppy, often within mins of one another.

Enthusiasm and an Evertonian. Maybe tries to do too much. Not so long ago he could do it all too.

September 19, 2017, 06:23:11 PM
Reply #104

ally2

I want him to try the extravagant. People complaining at him trying to take on multiple players - this is the English disease. That's why you end up with pace merchants and nothing else from English wingers. I don't expect him to take it through an entire team but more game time will allow him to naturally judge what is possible. If he has to calculate this every time he has the ball then you're going to end up with a percentages player and shouts of 'headless chicken'. He must be encouraged to do the unexpected.