December 19, 2017, 02:39:31 AM

Author Topic: Lookman  (Read 8761 times)

September 19, 2017, 07:33:52 PM
Reply #105

Evertonian in NC

I want him to try the extravagant. People complaining at him trying to take on multiple players - this is the English disease. That's why you end up with pace merchants and nothing else from English wingers. I don't expect him to take it through an entire team but more game time will allow him to naturally judge what is possible. If he has to calculate this every time he has the ball then you're going to end up with a percentages player and shouts of 'headless chicken'. He must be encouraged to do the unexpected.

This is also why you play him 60-90 minutes v. Sunderland, not bring him off the bench.  How is he supposed to improve his decision making without ample first-team minutes?

And no, he doesn't need to go on loan, either.  He's good enough to play at this level, we just have to pick our spots (but not be so paranoid and stingy about them).
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

deCoubertin

September 19, 2017, 08:14:50 PM
Reply #106

Lxxx

I want him to try the extravagant. People complaining at him trying to take on multiple players - this is the English disease. That's why you end up with pace merchants and nothing else from English wingers. I don't expect him to take it through an entire team but more game time will allow him to naturally judge what is possible. If he has to calculate this every time he has the ball then you're going to end up with a percentages player and shouts of 'headless chicken'. He must be encouraged to do the unexpected.

Getting hold of the ball in the final third is pretty unexpected at the minute. He's got a low base to start from.

September 19, 2017, 08:18:10 PM
Reply #107

BlueBeagle

He's good enough to play at this level

And you're basing that on what?

September 19, 2017, 08:32:13 PM
Reply #108

everton1952

It is amazing how many people associate the absence of a player from the team to being "on the wrong side of Koeman". Is it not far more probable that the manager does not think they are good enough to pick, or their form was so bad they are no longer picked? We have two big disadvantages in relation to Koeman. He is a football coach and ex-player and is a far better judge of footballers than we are. He sees players at first hand whether in the first team or U23 or in training, and forms a judgement and we cannot form any judgement because we are not on the inside to make any. People who are frustrated at the terrible state we are now in, turn to unfounded inventions about the manager's player relations.  We all have opinions based on what we see on the pitch, but we cannot judge on others who rarely or never get a game probably for a good reason.

September 19, 2017, 09:11:05 PM
Reply #109

Evertonian in NC

And you're basing that on what?

What I saw last season.  He has some rough edges, sure.  He's young.

But he also has skills that this squad lacks completely.  Mainly speed, directness, and aggression.  Plus a nose for the goal, as we seem to put an XI out there where Rooney seems like the only man who knows where the goal even is.  When the plan revolves around Rooney that much, you are using him very, very poorly and the results will be very, very bad (as they have been - and it's not Rooney's fault). 

It's up to the coaching staff to focus that raw energy correctly on the pitch.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 19, 2017, 09:18:08 PM
Reply #110

formerKHL

It is amazing how many people associate the absence of a player from the team to being "on the wrong side of Koeman". Is it not far more probable that the manager does not think they are good enough to pick, or their form was so bad they are no longer picked? We have two big disadvantages in relation to Koeman. He is a football coach and ex-player and is a far better judge of footballers than we are. He sees players at first hand whether in the first team or U23 or in training, and forms a judgement and we cannot form any judgement because we are not on the inside to make any. People who are frustrated at the terrible state we are now in, turn to unfounded inventions about the manager's player relations.  We all have opinions based on what we see on the pitch, but we cannot judge on others who rarely or never get a game probably for a good reason.

totally agree with this post completely...I also agree with what Ally2 is saying further up..we do have a tendency in this country to stifle players with flair and skill.....

September 19, 2017, 09:42:24 PM
Reply #111

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
What I saw last season.  He has some rough edges, sure.  He's young.

But he also has skills that this squad lacks completely.  Mainly speed, directness, and aggression.  Plus a nose for the goal, as we seem to put an XI out there where Rooney seems like the only man who knows where the goal even is.  When the plan revolves around Rooney that much, you are using him very, very poorly and the results will be very, very bad (as they have been - and it's not Rooney's fault). 

It's up to the coaching staff to focus that raw energy correctly on the pitch.
He has skills but he seems really timid, easy to knock off the ball and the game passes him by massively

That's not to say I wouldn't give him game time

Simply simply lovely

September 21, 2017, 05:01:27 PM
Reply #112

eyesalwaysblue

Loads of potential just needs to strengthen up same as DCL has done.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 21, 2017, 07:21:36 PM
Reply #113

Gary1878

The kid is 19 years old. Of course he isn't built like a man yet. DCL is 18 months older which makes a fair difference. (correction 6 months older - but still is further in his development)

Convinced he will be a superstar in the future with the right game management, coaching and support.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:23:02 PM by Gary1878 »

September 21, 2017, 08:04:00 PM
Reply #114

Marky Mark and the funky

The kid is 19 years old. Of course he isn't built like a man yet. DCL is 18 months older which makes a fair difference. (correction 6 months older - but still is further in his development)

Convinced he will be a superstar in the future with the right game management, coaching and support.

Convinced he will be a superstar in the future if/but/maybe ;)

September 21, 2017, 10:56:53 PM
Reply #115

SANA_DR0

I stopped reading at pick, cos I dont think Koeman is anywhere near good enough to manage us.
I for one dont care what koeman has to say about players or who he favors, ive had enough of the boring pragmatic football,
We have players who can get the fans behind us with pace and excitement, but all we get is Moyes-esque players in the wrong positions just cos we are shitting ourselves of the opposition.. oh we're playing  the Cherries.. lets play 8 defenders again.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

September 21, 2017, 11:56:51 PM
Reply #116

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I stopped reading at pick, cos I dont think Koeman is anywhere near good enough to manage us.
I for one dont care what koeman has to say about players or who he favors, ive had enough of the boring pragmatic football,
We have players who can get the fans behind us with pace and excitement, but all we get is Moyes-esque players in the wrong positions just cos we are shitting ourselves of the opposition.. oh we're playing  the Cherries.. lets play 8 defenders again.

Flapped it
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 22, 2017, 12:05:06 AM
Reply #117

Bluedylan

Should've loaned him out if he going to barely get used. Needs football. Vital age for development.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 22, 2017, 12:09:18 AM
Reply #118

BlueBeagle

oh we're playing  the Cherries..

What Evertonian would say "We're playing the Cherries at the weekend"?

September 22, 2017, 02:51:50 AM
Reply #119

Coyb12

3 good excuses there mate when he's back at Charlton.