October 19, 2017, 07:40:19 PM

Author Topic: The future of watching live games - streamed on Facebook?  (Read 2027 times)

August 10, 2017, 04:19:00 AM
Reply #30

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
the problem with Kodi is that the people who run the add-ons don't make any money unless they run a subscription model and then draw major attention to themselves and risk prison....

once something that doesn't make you much money starts to be a pain in the arse, then you tend to jib it
That's partly true. What you find is cycles of robin hoods. The streamers are still there so the middle man job has moved from the old well known streaming sites to the kodi addon builders. It's remarkably easy (they borrow others code much as many websites do) so there are always new guys looking to be the next hero.

Yeah, after a while individuals have enough grief, but by then they've inspired dozens of others to keep the flame alive.

deCoubertin

August 10, 2017, 10:17:22 PM
Reply #31

Everton Mint

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:22:37 PM by Everton Mint »

August 10, 2017, 10:28:52 PM
Reply #32

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/07/27/premier-league-lands-game-changing-court-order-war-illegal-streaming/

I guess we'll all see what happens this weekend...

yes, fuck all.  From the article:

"It obtained a similar blocking order for the final two months of the 2016-2017 season, leading to around 5,000 server IP addresses being blocked."

So it's just an extension. And it didn't work last season. UK courts and the PL haven't invented magic, and can't shut down the entire internet during games, so streams will continue to be available. Kodi is just the streams around the web brought together, and so it will continue to offer them. The authorities have been playing whack-a-mole on streaming for over a decade, and have gotten nowhere. On the other hand, the media campaign the right wing press have been paid to wage telling you it's coming to an end is doing it's job, people less willing to try because they expect to fail.

The matchday thread will get various random streams posted in it again. All the court order does is block IP addresses to UK users. So, a VPN, problem solved. Source is not in the UK, so the courts have no power whatsoever.

Been having this same discussion with various people over the last decade, and the doomsayers are proven wrong every single time.

August 11, 2017, 06:07:42 PM
Reply #33

dangermouse

Surely Sky/BT would have a lot of this nailed down to prevent? Plus the Premier league would surely be opposed as teams would have their own pricing structures and we'd end up with the bigger supported teams pulling further away as they'd have much bigger subscription rates?

Wait until Facebook start bidding for Football rights..... its going to happen
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

August 11, 2017, 06:09:56 PM
Reply #34

dangermouse

Currently paying sky 82 a month for all the channels but still don't have BT Sports cause I sacked it off when I saw that cunt gerrard on it

BT are charging 220 for the year if I renew

Getting screwed ain't I but I like the convenience of sky, watching those streams online is very hit and miss

My mates had a 'dodgy box' but it's cut off now, how do you lids watch the games?

Id happily pay Sky 200 to watch EVERY Everton game... This must be the way forward...

August 11, 2017, 06:11:51 PM
Reply #35

dangermouse

It's not that simple. The premier league is a syndicate, changes require a vote. If clubs started abandoning it because fb offered more money, the league who collapse and a new one would be required. Since most teams would lose financially, only a handful would do it, and the new league would be shit without enough teams. The only real risk would be from a euro super league. PL has proven the syndicate model is the way to go, hence the ever increasing money. Add that to the (restated by Scudmore again today) commitment to a 3pm blackout, and it doesn't matter how much money fb has. They could get involved and buy the right like anyone else, but given it's now 4k through TV and the fb stream was 720p and far from perfect, the fb stream option won't compete as it was done for our friendly.

1.5m viewers? Hmm.. the display is the corner didn't pass 22k on mine. Given a lot of people tried to connect (multiple times?) and failed/found it unwatchable I suspect those numbers are highly questionable. As to "pennies a game"!!! If you can make the maths on that clear 5billion in current rights then you should contact facebook with your business proposal. Never going to happen.

The Premier League sell TV rights every couple of years.... whoever pays the most for them gets them.

August 11, 2017, 06:36:27 PM
Reply #36

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
The Premier League sell TV rights every couple of years.... whoever pays the most for them gets them.

It's every three years. But that doesn't change the fact that the league is committed to the 3pm blackout, so showing every game isn't up to the broadcaster, regardless of how much they bid. They sell the games in packages, and broadcasters can only bid for the games that are offered. My post was refuting the idea that FB could replace everything with individual sales by clubs using the same quality they had for our friendly. I even clearly stated "They could get involved and buy the rights like anyone else" so I'm not clear why you replied to me?

Plus, your assumption that Facebook are the only giant out there willing to bid is seriously flawed. Amazon, Netflix and Google are all just as likely - Amazon or Netflix is probably far more likely as they already have the capability to provide 4k streaming around the world. Facebook would need to do some serious model changing, not least introducing a subscription model which Amazon and Netflix already have. So, going to happen? My money would be on someone else.

August 11, 2017, 07:32:40 PM
Reply #37

Bally

Administrator
Id happily pay Sky 200 to watch EVERY Everton game... This must be the way forward...
Been saying this should happen for years, they can scramble what they want, so to stop illegal streaming set up a scheme we're you pay to watch your team, you will still get people going the game but for those that cannot afford a season ticket or are to far away a subscription straight to the club/sky for all games should be available, if it goes to the club this would eradicate sky and go some way to the money in just worry about the current money coming in and how it would be in the future
It's the roll I way

August 11, 2017, 07:40:03 PM
Reply #38

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Been saying this should happen for years, they can scramble what they want, so to stop illegal streaming set up a scheme we're you pay to watch your team, you will still get people going the game but for those that cannot afford a season ticket or are to far away a subscription straight to the club/sky for all games should be available, if it goes to the club this would eradicate sky and go some way to the money in just worry about the current money coming in and how it would be in the future

That's been my moral stance on streaming. I would happily pay EFC 30+ a monthto get 38 Everton games (preferably without our inhouse comms, although that's a minor issue). Until they figure out a way for that to happen, I'll use the free options.

August 11, 2017, 08:01:01 PM
Reply #39

Everton Mint

Wonder if they will just concentrate on blocking the live games on BT & Sky ?

The others are usually the 3pm games and only shown abroad.

UK fans watching these on streams doesnt harm their revenues.

August 11, 2017, 08:05:23 PM
Reply #40

Cereal Killer

Not sure it would, that would make it very similar to Spain? The big clubs get even richer due to their demand/fan base, the smaller clubs get poorer as they have much less interest and bring in far less money

August 11, 2017, 08:10:55 PM
Reply #41

Everton Mint

I pay for Sky and justify the cost by assuming that my money goes to EFC, which it kind of does as part of the TV payments the club gets.

Clubs are spending fortunes on players and this is where a lot of the money comes from.

If you dont/cant go to the games and dont pay for Sky/BT but stream them for free, what are you contributing to Everton ?

August 11, 2017, 09:09:06 PM
Reply #42

Lincs Toffee

I pay for Sky and justify the cost by assuming that my money goes to EFC, which it kind of does as part of the TV payments the club gets.

Clubs are spending fortunes on players and this is where a lot of the money comes from.

If you dont/cant go to the games and dont pay for Sky/BT but stream them for free, what are you contributing to Everton ?

25 Club Membership to watch 2.5 Pre-Season games!! :thumbsup:
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

August 11, 2017, 09:28:36 PM
Reply #43

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber

Given the rights are bought in advance, for a set fee, and that is distributed to all clubs, the only ones losing to those who choose to stream instead of pay Sky/BT, are.. Sky and BT. And that's assuming that everyone who can't afford Sky/BT, or get a season ticket, would somehow pay for Sky/BT anyway. For a less than equal share of the live coverage. Fuck Sky and Fuck BT. Their interest is controlling the telecoms market, they don't care a jot about our club.

They are effectively ticket touts, buying up all the 'tv tickets' in advance, then trying to flog them for a profit. If they have a load left over then the club has already received the ticket money from them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:30:09 PM by MrWhite »

August 12, 2017, 03:48:38 AM
Reply #44

Everton Mint

Everton are a member of the PL and were when it was formed.

The PL sells the rights to the highest bidder.

They benefit fron the popularity of tv football.

Not paying for Sky had been argued for years but people still pay as they think its still value for money.