October 18, 2017, 01:53:51 AM

Author Topic: [News]Koeman: We didn't play well  (Read 1588 times)

August 13, 2017, 12:36:04 AM
Read 1588 times

Everton News

Koeman: We didn't play well

Everton boss Ronald Koeman says that his side is capable of much better than the performance which saw them beat Stoke 1-0 today.

Source: Koeman: We didn't play well

deCoubertin

August 13, 2017, 01:00:28 AM
Reply #1

MmmBlueRamirez

Can really see what the tactics are but I feel we have enough quality to get us through most games. Substance over style.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 13, 2017, 01:00:37 AM
Reply #2

MmmBlueRamirez

Cant really see what the tactics are but I feel we have enough quality to get us through most games. Substance over style.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 13, 2017, 01:28:09 AM
Reply #3

kramer0

I think the starting eleven was picked to neutralize Crouch and that the plan completely went to shit when he didn't start. Regardless of what he had in mind, I don't trust Koeman's tinkering and don't think he should be messing with the team to stop a 36 year old striker. We looked much better with a natural right back and Calvert-Lewin at centre forward. All of the evidence from preseason suggests that a 4-3-3 with a target man is our best tactic right now. Stop playing around with the shape and get the players on the same page in one system. Sandro/Klaassen/Rooney would work a lot better together if they had time to learn each other's movements within a well-defined set-up.

It's possible that our slowdown in the transfer market has messed with Koeman's plans but it's still disappointing that he keeps chopping and changing, the players and the system. At least we still have a solid defensive structure, bolstered by Pickford and Keane, to fall back on (as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with cheap giveaways during build-ups).

I really hope we get the players he wants before the window closes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:12:17 AM by kramer0 »

August 13, 2017, 01:43:33 AM
Reply #4

Ross

He needs to address why we never seem to play well in the first half.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

August 13, 2017, 02:57:21 AM
Reply #5

gizzblue

He needs to address why we never seem to play well in the first half.
Three at the back is shite was the reason today ....but there are many different ones.

August 13, 2017, 03:07:11 AM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Three at the back is shite was the reason today ....but there are many different ones.

3 at the back isn't really the issue.

It's the players and their roles in it.

At least one of the wide CBs has to be comfortable as a full back or a midfielder as there is always space to move forward into. You can't just have 3 players in a line within the width of the penalty box.

You certainly can't do that if your RWB is a forward stood 30 yards further up than you'd naturally expect.

Nor then have a CM move over filling the space where the RCB should be moving into.

It was far too complicated for the personnel.

August 13, 2017, 03:21:54 AM
Reply #7

gizzblue

3 at the back isn't really the issue.

It's the players and their roles in it.

At least one of the wide CBs has to be comfortable as a full back or a midfielder as there is always space to move forward into. You can't just have 3 players in a line within the width of the penalty box.

You certainly can't do that if your RWB is a forward stood 30 yards further up than you'd naturally expect.

Nor then have a CM move over filling the space where the RCB should be moving into.

It was far too complicated for the personnel.
Even RK thought it was the three at fault.. hence the four after half time ... but I see what your getting at ....he needs to chose a formation and stick to it  till the players are comfy.

August 13, 2017, 03:27:48 AM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Even RK thought it was the three at fault.. hence the four after half time ... but I see what your getting at ....he needs to chose a formation and stick to it  till the players are comfy.

Yes I just meant that there's nothing overly inherently wrong with 3 at the back.

Unless Holgate plays (or some mad gamble like playing Besic there) I don't think we've got the CBs to play it properly.

August 13, 2017, 03:34:38 AM
Reply #9

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Yes I just meant that there's nothing overly inherently wrong with 3 at the back.

Unless Holgate plays (or some mad gamble like playing Besic there) I don't think we've got the CBs to play it properly.

Or a right wing back until Coleman is back.

I also think 3 at the back nullifies Schneiderlin somewhat.

Either way I agree, I don't think we have the personnel to make it a successful formation for us.

August 13, 2017, 03:37:16 AM
Reply #10

TheTone

no worries, 3 points and played poorly, always have a chance when you are solid/reliable at the back

Not so long ago we were leading 3-2 against these and fucked it away 4-3 under an inept manager

August 13, 2017, 07:40:14 PM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
no worries, 3 points and played poorly, always have a chance when you are solid/reliable at the back

Not so long ago we were leading 3-2 against these and fucked it away 4-3 under an inept manager

The 3 games so far are all the evidence that anyone should need to see why being solid fist and foremost is so important.

August 13, 2017, 08:31:14 PM
Reply #12

Bluedylan

Koeman rather magnanimously acknowledged that the first half was his fault, in the post match press-conference on the OS.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

August 13, 2017, 10:23:27 PM
Reply #13

oscar

He picked that starting line up because that is what we'll be playing in the next games against the top teams.
He's looking at defending and scoring on the break, problem is we've got no pace on the counter attack

August 13, 2017, 10:27:35 PM
Reply #14

Lxxx

He picked that starting line up because that is what we'll be playing in the next games against the top teams.
He's looking at defending and scoring on the break, problem is we've got no pace on the counter attack

He tried that against Chelsea last season too. Didn't work out too well then.