November 20, 2017, 12:06:20 PM

Author Topic: Barry to WBA  (Read 4121 times)

August 15, 2017, 08:20:18 PM
Reply #45

Jamokachi

I imagine we're probably wanting to free up some wages for inbound signings too. Barry will be on a wedge, and is the most disposable (not the nicest term I admit) of options in that position, given mainly his age.

deCoubertin

August 15, 2017, 08:41:08 PM
Reply #46

Tony Clifton

Sad to see him going.  2nd best signing of Martinez era.  Good luck Gaz.

August 15, 2017, 08:46:31 PM
Reply #47

bacon sarnie

Wanted him to break the record with us.

Great pro and would have been great to have kept for experience alone.

Seconded.

August 15, 2017, 09:14:08 PM
Reply #48

kramer0

He's the best passer of the ball at the club and he'll be sorely missed when we play against teams that concede possession in favor of maintaining a rigid defensive shape. That sounds bad but really, there aren't many of those matches anymore. Mainly just West Brom and Burnley. Most current PL sides are interested in forcing turnovers in midfield and scoring off of the resulting transitions. Barry isn't quick enough to close the gaps that pop up when we lose the ball and, despite his virtues as a passer, he's become more prone to cheap giveaways with age. To put it simply: I don't think he suits our approach anymore with the exception of a few games per season.

This is a perfect move for him. West Brom are disciplined positionally and should provide Barry with plenty of protection in midfield. He'll give them good diagonal deliveries to the forwards and the quick passes behind the fullback to find their wingers. He fits their system much better than he fits ours.

It's been a joy watching him here and I wish him the best of luck going forward. Thanks for everything, Gareth!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:22:28 PM by kramer0 »

August 15, 2017, 10:07:15 PM
Reply #49

Marky Mark and the funky

He's the best passer of the ball at the club and he'll be sorely missed when we play against teams that concede possession in favor of maintaining a rigid defensive shape. That sounds bad but really, there aren't many of those matches anymore. Mainly just West Brom and Burnley. Most current PL sides are interested in forcing turnovers in midfield and scoring off of the resulting transitions. Barry isn't quick enough to close the gaps that pop up when we lose the ball and, despite his virtues as a passer, he's become more prone to cheap giveaways with age. To put it simply: I don't think he suits our approach anymore with the exception of a few games per season.

This is a perfect move for him. West Brom are disciplined positionally and should provide Barry with plenty of protection in midfield. He'll give them good diagonal deliveries to the forwards and the quick passes behind the fullback to find their wingers. He fits their system much better than he fits ours.

It's been a joy watching him here and I wish him the best of luck going forward. Thanks for everything, Gareth!

Been reading here for (embarrasingly long time) now yet tonight I saw this and thought 'yep, I'm finally signing up'.

I love Gaz Baz but could never have come up with that insight myself, enjoyed reading it!

August 15, 2017, 10:24:56 PM
Reply #50

toffee_scot

Quite sad to hear this news. Barry has been a very good solid dependent player for us and I think he would have still featured quite a bit for us in this campaign. His experience too was great and on the whole he has been a calming presence in the midfield.

Good luck to him, he will be missed at Everton

August 15, 2017, 10:42:33 PM
Reply #51

Morta75

Best of luck to him. Great player, but age is against him.

August 15, 2017, 10:56:59 PM
Reply #52

Bwana

A model professional and a true gentleman on the pitch. Sadly time spares no-one.

All the best to him.
Well there may be no score, but there's certainly no lack of excitement here. As you can see, Nietzsche has just been booked for arguing with the referee. He accused Confucius of having no free will, and Confucius he say, "Name go in book". And this is Nietzsche's third booking in four games.

August 15, 2017, 11:03:04 PM
Reply #53

WeimaranerBlues

only time will tell , how many games he gets at WBA, I assume he can't do 2 to 3 games a week @90 mins, but when you factor in the amount of possible games we will have compared to WBA , I thought he would have had a fair bit of game time,

good luck Gareth

August 15, 2017, 11:12:15 PM
Reply #54

sixymack

Could have used him as a makeweight for a Chadli bid.

August 15, 2017, 11:19:11 PM
Reply #55

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Could have used him as a makeweight for a Chadli bid.
With us not being interested at all in chadli that would be daft

Simply simply lovely

August 15, 2017, 11:20:17 PM
Reply #56

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Why would we even want chadli?

August 15, 2017, 11:27:56 PM
Reply #57

BlueBeagle

So far today sixymack has wanted to sign Chadli and Janssen ffs.

Wonder if there's a Pavlyuchenko shout coming? David Bentley hasn't got a club either, might be worth a look seeing as he's got a point to prove.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:29:33 PM by BlueBeagle »

August 15, 2017, 11:53:22 PM
Reply #58

74Blue

Going to WBA at least gives him the chance to see out his career back in the Midlands. Been an absolute model professional and deserves the opportunity to get that Premier League record. He's got a much better chance of playing every week at WBA than here, so good luck to him.

August 16, 2017, 12:07:23 AM
Reply #59

YellowHold

We'll miss him badly if Schneiderlin ever gets injured, and he would always be very useful coming on in games like the weekend when we are holding a narrow lead.

A deal we're allowing for the players sake but there's no question it makes our squad weaker.