October 19, 2017, 10:47:38 AM

Author Topic: Gylfi Sigurdsson Signs - Confirmed by club  (Read 8902 times)

September 18, 2017, 04:43:36 AM
Reply #300

Martip

Limited
I'm shocked I think he's an absolute tank !

deCoubertin

September 18, 2017, 04:50:30 AM
Reply #301

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm shocked I think he's an absolute tank !

Great little player but I think he can only do one job. When he's asked to go forward with the ball he doesn't give us a lot I don't think.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 18, 2017, 02:33:57 PM
Reply #302

MmmBlueRamirez

Once he settles, gets game time under his belt and the rest settle around him he'll be ace. I know we laugh at that lot for thinking every signing they make is of the greatest player in the world, but at least they support new players. Lets give the new ones longer than 4/5 games in a side thats struggling as a while before we right them off as sh*t.

Dennis Bergkamp struggled to begin with (He struggled to adapt to the English game and failed to score in the club's next six league matches, prompting ridicule by the national press), imagine the pelters he'd have had if he'd been wearing an Everton shirt.

Sigurdsson has been playing in the premier league for years. Stop making excuses for him. He's been poor.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 18, 2017, 05:33:16 PM
Reply #303

van der Meyde

You seriously don't rate gueye ? Easily our best player imo.
I generally rate our players on the basis of whether they're good enough to get a game for the teams above us.

I don't think Gueye would. I don't think he offers enough on the ball and I think he's a little indiscipline though.

You're right that he's probably up there as one of our better players, and he's absolutely fine for a team looking to finish 7th, I just want us to have better. :)

September 18, 2017, 07:25:12 PM
Reply #304

.Matty

Average player with a very good delivery from set pieces.  Cant see what he offers from open play at 45million.

September 18, 2017, 07:34:48 PM
Reply #305

Realist

September 18, 2017, 09:22:47 PM
Reply #306

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I generally rate our players on the basis of whether they're good enough to get a game for the teams above us.

I don't think Gueye would. I don't think he offers enough on the ball and I think he's a little indiscipline though.

You're right that he's probably up there as one of our better players, and he's absolutely fine for a team looking to finish 7th, I just want us to have better. :)

He's a boss player I do love him, but our midfield is two not very progressive players with no dynamism between them.

Gueye is asked to carry the ball as well as hunt, and to be fair he does it alright but he's never going to be very productive and the two DMs are genuinely no match for anyone above us.

Wouldn't mind if he went to 3 in the middle and swerved the 10 for a bit.

Davies or Sig with MS behind. Or both!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 18, 2017, 09:54:10 PM
Reply #307

Martip

He's a boss player I do love him, but our midfield is two not very progressive players with no dynamism between them.

Gueye is asked to carry the ball as well as hunt, and to be fair he does it alright but he's never going to be very productive and the two DMs are genuinely no match for anyone above us.

It's funny I rate him him a lot higher than Morgan...just seems to break up more and anticipate things better as well as being a bit less rash....

September 18, 2017, 09:58:29 PM
Reply #308

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It's funny I rate him him a lot higher than Morgan...just seems to break up more and anticipate things better as well as being a bit less rash....

Yeah he's a better ball winner than Morgan, probably one of the best in the league.

just outside of that he's not massively progressive and neither is Morgan, so we've got two quite limited DM's when it comes to passing.

September 18, 2017, 10:21:42 PM
Reply #309

van der Meyde

Schneiderlin can pass the ball, he's just being a shithouse right now.

A bigger frustration I have with both of them is that they go haring after the ball when it's out wide and when they don't win it, it leaves us wide open.

September 18, 2017, 10:36:13 PM
Reply #310

Martip

Yeah he's a better ball winner than Morgan, probably one of the best in the league.

just outside of that he's not massively progressive and neither is Morgan, so we've got two quite limited DM's when it comes to passing.
That's the thing that's got me recently we play 2 defensive midfielders in addition to our back line and still look like being carved open all the time  :headbang:

September 18, 2017, 10:45:57 PM
Reply #311

Martip

I see what you are saying but I think that's being a little bit harsh on him as he is a defensive midfielder so really his job should be to break up and play it simply imo rather than be creative.

I can't think of many in that position who can do it all ? Players like Dier, Wanyama, fernandinho, henderson, xhaka, coquelin are all similar players in the same position and imo no better or not as good.

Interesting one this as we seem to have a massive difference if opinion on his ability.

September 18, 2017, 11:22:02 PM
Reply #312

van der Meyde

I see what you are saying but I think that's being a little bit harsh on him as he is a defensive midfielder so really his job should be to break up and play it simply imo rather than be creative.

I can't think of many in that position who can do it all ? Players like Dier, Wanyama, fernandinho, henderson, xhaka, coquelin are all similar players in the same position and imo no better or not as good.

Interesting one this as we seem to have a massive difference if opinion on his ability.
I'd definitely have most of the ones you mentioned ahead of him. :)

A lot of what you love about him, I'll feel the same about.

I like his energy, I like how he's pretty good at winning the ball. I actually think he's okay on the ball too, not as good as most of the players you mentioned, but decent enough. I think he's decent enough that if he were to make himself available to our defenders when they've got the ball, we'd resort to long pumps and lose possession far less. It's not his job to be creative, but I do think he could do more to get the ball to the creative players.

He's not in an easy position to judge though because it could be that what frustrates me most is because of the way he's used rather than his own failings.

You've alluded to it yourself though that we're easily carved open, yet he's one of our defensive midfielders. How much of that is to do with him?

Generally speaking I think one of the reasons for that is that he gets dragged out to the left and right wings a lot. That leaves a lot of space for opposition midfielders and attackers to exploit.

On a tactical basis I think he should stay more central in situations like that. They're not (Harry Kane flukes aside) gonna score from a shot if the ball's out wide. Our central defenders are there to deal with crosses that come in.

There are many reasons he might be dragged wide though. Our wide attackers might not be doing their jobs, full backs could be out of position or not closing down etc.

Not an easy one is it, but I think he's at least a partial contributor to why we can look so open with two DMs. He has to be, he's one of them. :)

September 18, 2017, 11:36:45 PM
Reply #313

Realist

I'd definitely have most of the ones you mentioned ahead of him. :)

A lot of what you love about him, I'll feel the same about.

I like his energy, I like how he's pretty good at winning the ball. I actually think he's okay on the ball too, not as good as most of the players you mentioned, but decent enough. I think he's decent enough that if he were to make himself available to our defenders when they've got the ball, we'd resort to long pumps and lose possession far less. It's not his job to be creative, but I do think he could do more to get the ball to the creative players.

He's not in an easy position to judge though because it could be that what frustrates me most is because of the way he's used rather than his own failings.

You've alluded to it yourself though that we're easily carved open, yet he's one of our defensive midfielders. How much of that is to do with him?

Generally speaking I think one of the reasons for that is that he gets dragged out to the left and right wings a lot. That leaves a lot of space for opposition midfielders and attackers to exploit.

On a tactical basis I think he should stay more central in situations like that. They're not (Harry Kane flukes aside) gonna score from a shot if the ball's out wide. Our central defenders are there to deal with crosses that come in.

There are many reasons he might be dragged wide though. Our wide attackers might not be doing their jobs, full backs could be out of position or not closing down etc.

Not an easy one is it, but I think he's at least a partial contributor to why we can look so open with two DMs. He has to be, he's one of them. :)

He's better than all of them as a pure DM

September 18, 2017, 11:53:36 PM
Reply #314

wepull

Great little player but I think he can only do one job. When he's asked to go forward with the ball he doesn't give us a lot I don't think.
I think one of the best spells we had under Koeman was when we played Davies in Gueye's position. Think he lacks that attacking guile when he gets the ball in opposition third.