November 20, 2017, 11:30:49 PM

Author Topic: [News]What Will Rooney Offer Everton This Season?  (Read 2201 times)

August 19, 2017, 03:15:18 AM
Reply #15

Realist

He's had match defining moments in the last 2 games & he's not fully match fit yet I don't think
It could turn out to be a master stroke bringing him back
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:54:18 AM by Defeatist »

deCoubertin

August 19, 2017, 04:16:17 AM
Reply #16

gizzblue

Gotta hold my hands up he is improving each game ....I was dubious at first but he could well have a few years left in him ....but he ain't a winger by a long chalk .

August 19, 2017, 04:19:09 AM
Reply #17

The Analog Kid

United's loss is our gain. He looks sharp, very lean and fit and in the mood.

The one downside to his game is he gets very frustrated with some decisions which could go against him.

August 19, 2017, 05:14:35 AM
Reply #18

ally2

I'm confused because he plays best with a run of games, but he's unlikely to get that now Sigurdsson is here.  Our attackers are definitely going to rotate and I think that might harm Rooney more than anyone else.  I'm so glad we have him though.  He's been fantastic so far.

August 19, 2017, 05:15:58 AM
Reply #19

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'm confused because he plays best with a run of games, but he's unlikely to get that now Sigurdsson is here.  Our attackers are definitely going to rotate and I think that might harm Rooney more than anyone else.  I'm so glad we have him though.  He's been fantastic so far.
Can't see how koeman will leave rooney out

Simply simply lovely

August 19, 2017, 05:20:59 AM
Reply #20

Gash

Global Moderator
He's getting better by the game and I think the assumption that a lot of people made that coming back will give him a new lease of life is coming true. I think he'll be fantastic for us and even in the early showings you can see that his experience and intelligence is above anything else we've got.

I don't understand why Koeman didn't give him the armband last nigh though, he's clearly a leader and was always the one at the ref whenever he didn't agree with something. I love Baines but he's not a bastard enough to be captain and ended up being over shadowed as leader by Rooney last night.

August 19, 2017, 05:23:58 AM
Reply #21

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
He's getting better by the game and I think the assumption that a lot of people made that coming back will give him a new lease of life is coming true. I think he'll be fantastic for us and even in the early showings you can see that his experience and intelligence is above anything else we've got.

I don't understand why Koeman didn't give him the armband last nigh though, he's clearly a leader and was always the one at the ref whenever he didn't agree with something. I love Baines but he's not a bastard enough to be captain and ended up being over shadowed as leader by Rooney last night.
Don't think he needs the armband to be like that. It could go either way, he tries too hard or it Spurs him on, personally Im liking him just settling in

Simply simply lovely

August 19, 2017, 05:34:58 AM
Reply #22

Gash

Global Moderator
Don't think he needs the armband to be like that. It could go either way, he tries too hard or it Spurs him on, personally Im liking him just settling in

Yeah, don't get me wrong I find the armband's a bit of a false gesture, you can be a leader without wearing it. But "in theory" it's only meant to be the captain that approaches the the ref and although it rarely changes anything, Rooney is far better at that than Baines. And much like him returning has lifted him, I think being captain in Jags absence would be a big lift for him as well.

August 19, 2017, 12:19:11 PM
Reply #23

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Dunno think it could work quite well with Rooney making a more, forceful, point with Baines then being calmer so the ref doesn't hate everyone.

August 19, 2017, 01:31:58 PM
Reply #24

Toddacelli

A lot of offsides
Due to being ahead of everyone else.

When they figure it out and release the ball earlier we'll be dangerous.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 19, 2017, 07:21:06 PM
Reply #25

toffee_scot

He's done quite well so far I feel. When you look at our competitive record so far this season, we have won 4 out of 4 games, we may have only won by small goal margins but I like to think players like Rooney have played an influential role in game management especially when the opposition have had opportunities to go forward and equalise.

I expect he will get better and once the transfer window is closed, we will get a better idea of what role he will play under Koeman.

August 19, 2017, 07:33:05 PM
Reply #26

KoemansNumberTens

He's done well so far. Was shit in the first round of the Europa but no one was great. Played really well against Stoke and decent the other night too. Much better than I expected. He needs to be fitter because he's currently struggling to do the full 90s but he looks like he's capable of contributing a decent amount to our season. Pleasantly surprised so far

August 19, 2017, 07:39:41 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Rooney is the de facto captain anyway. Top boy, most vocal, well respected both inside and outside the club. Brings a nice balance not giving him the armband as well. He can lead without it.

August 19, 2017, 07:51:03 PM
Reply #28

Alanvideo

Rooney is the de facto captain anyway. Top boy, most vocal, well respected both inside and outside the club. Brings a nice balance not giving him the armband as well. He can lead without it.
..............took the words right out of my mouth . I'm slightly surprised he's played the full 90 minutes . I expect as the season goes on he'll be subbed off quite often when we get into winning positions ( hopefully )
We are special ,we are Everton.

August 19, 2017, 08:06:47 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Building a squad of leaders. Jags and Baines are our captain and vice captain, Rooney has captained for years. Coleman captain of Ireland, Williams captain of Wales, Klaassen was captain of Ajax. Keane and Pickford look like they've got it in them. Even Martina is captain of Curaçao.