November 25, 2017, 12:52:33 AM

Author Topic: Michael Keane  (Read 6702 times)

August 18, 2017, 07:35:52 PM
Reply #45

Major Clanger

You've got to apply the reverse as well, any point we prevent those below us getting reduces the likelihood of them catching us.

Yeah but I'm not worried about that. :)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

deCoubertin

August 18, 2017, 07:40:18 PM
Reply #46

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
In terms of quick improvements though it should be easier to pick up more points than we did in the away games against the 13 below us than in any games vs the top 6.

Chelsea last season is a good example.

August 18, 2017, 07:50:16 PM
Reply #47

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah but I'm not worried about that. :)

Have to say, when it comes to Everton at the moment I'm not worried about anything. We still haven't conceded a single competitive goal, and we've won every game. Michael (and Jordan) have been a big part of that, they inspire confidence.

August 18, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
Reply #48

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
In terms of quick improvements though it should be easier to pick up more points than we did in the away games against the 13 below us than in any games vs the top 6.

Chelsea last season is a good example.

That's a nice theory. But this is the Premier League. And when Sean Dyche was plotting where to pick up away points this season, he probably didn't expect to do that in their first away game. Shouldn't we just look to win each game as it comes, rather than deciding which teams we should be getting the points from in advance?

August 18, 2017, 07:59:12 PM
Reply #49

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
That's a nice theory. But this is the Premier League. And when Sean Dyche was plotting where to pick up away points this season, he probably didn't expect to do that in their first away game. Shouldn't we just look to win each game as it comes, rather than deciding which teams we should be getting the points from in advance?

Yes but every team will look at the types of games they should be winning.

If you're not winning most of those it's very hard to get where you want to be.

It's no good Burnley winning at Chelsea if they don't beat Huddersfield and 3 other equivalents at home.

I remember a Utd player saying that Ferguson used to target home and away wins vs the teams in the bottom half as the bedrock of their season, then the other games would determine how well they ended up doing.

Obviously things don't go 100% the way that you plan but a basic expectation of 12 games vs bottom 6 and 12 vs top 6 would be fair to be (many) more points vs the former as we are better than them and should do well in those games.

August 18, 2017, 08:09:09 PM
Reply #50

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
Yes but every team will look at the types of games they should be winning.

If you're not winning most of those it's very hard to get where you want to be.

It's no good Burnley winning at Chelsea if they don't beat Huddersfield and 3 other equivalents at home.

I remember a Utd player saying that Ferguson used to target home and away wins vs the teams in the bottom half as the bedrock of their season, then the other games would determine how well they ended up doing.

Obviously things don't go 100% the way that you plan but a basic expectation of 12 games vs bottom 6 and 12 vs top 6 would be fair to be (many) more points vs the former as we are better than them and should do well in those games.

All very true. However, Burnley will be feeling more hopeful about those key games having scored three 'unexpected' points. But one of our long term problems has been our mentality in away games against the big boys (knife in a gunfight mentality) and this is something that seems to have changed a little in the league. In their pomp, United were able to plan to win points like that. In Koeman I think we have a manager who is not afraid to plan to win 3 points at Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, in Manchester, and most of all at Anfield. That's the big game for me - if we are to seriously change the mentality, the high water mark is there. Winning there would also give the squad (and the fans) serious belief that we can be more than 'best of the rest'.

Of course that's not to suggest 3 points at Anfield is more important than 3 points anywhere else, but I don't expect Koeman to target trophy points.

August 19, 2017, 03:59:06 AM
Reply #51

schleffera

While not disagreeing with you in general, we also need to take into account that any point against a top 6 team is a point they don't get, and thus lowers our target too.
..2 pts they don't get

August 19, 2017, 04:15:36 AM
Reply #52

The Analog Kid

Having scored a goal on Thursday and putting in a very good half he strolled off the pitch like he gived zero fucks, as if it was just another day to him.

He's extremely calm, looks far more settled than our more experienced centre halves.

I think him, and, dare I say it, John Stones, will make an amazing partnership for England.

August 19, 2017, 05:17:32 AM
Reply #53

Robioto

I honestly think he will prove to be our best signing of the Premier League era. Big statement, but I think he's that good.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:34:22 AM by Robioto »

October 21, 2017, 03:37:11 AM
Reply #54

Heisenberg

Shane Duffy is genuinely better than Keane

October 21, 2017, 03:52:16 AM
Reply #55

TheTone

lolol

October 21, 2017, 03:54:57 AM
Reply #56

UnsyisaRhino

This place is really in a tail spin.

October 21, 2017, 03:57:55 AM
Reply #57

TheTone

drink taken?

October 21, 2017, 04:02:02 AM
Reply #58

KoemansNumberTens

To be fair Duffy probably isn't very good but the jury is still out as to if the same applies to Keane too.

It seems we have 2 camps when it comes to players. Them who are shite regardless and them who are shite only because of being dragged down by them who are shite regardless

Williams and Martina shite regardless. Keane and Baines shite because of Williams and Martina. I tend to think that maybe they are just all a bit shite

October 21, 2017, 04:07:32 AM
Reply #59

blue slug

Duffy is not better than Keane ffs lol