November 16, 2018, 06:43:39 PM

Author Topic: Michael Keane  (Read 29238 times)

October 21, 2017, 10:24:26 PM
Read 29238 times

Ridge

His pace is an issue, but he is also dropping far too deep. We're not trying to defend en masse like Burnley do, and it allows crosses to be deeper and leaves space on edge of the box. It's a pretty basic problem, but he turns slow, that if he does push out, he'll leave space in behind.

He's good on the ball and he's a proper old school defender like Jags in terms of eyes open, face first, I'm stopping the ball. But I could see a situation similar to Mertesacker at Arsenal, where he is useful with height at both ends and a decent defender, but it limits the ability of the team to push as far forward as most imposing teams do. Would probably be better as part of 3 at the back.

October 21, 2017, 10:40:08 PM
Reply #1

Ridge

Duffy has developed into a good defender playing regularly with Dunk at Brighton and for Ireland. Keane has more quality on the ball, but Duffy is far more mobile.

Think he's looking like one of the better defenders in the league and wouldn't be that surprised if Brighton receive interest in both central defenders next summer.

October 21, 2017, 11:06:52 PM
Reply #2

Ridge

Duffy and mobile aren't two words I'd ever put together.

I only said more mobile than Keane.

It's a bit like someone being taller than Danny Devito.

October 21, 2017, 11:39:56 PM
Reply #3

Ridge

Even in an inflated market, I find it hard to believe Duffy ever goes for more than 10m

He has a similar path to Michael Keane in several ways. Didn't get much game time at big club, loaned out lots, left at 21 and found a starting place to develop further down the food chain. Both are more typical old school defenders.

I'd say 20m+ would be needed to make Brighton even entertain the idea. I'd rather have Dunk and Duffy than any pairing of our centre backs currently.

October 21, 2017, 11:47:59 PM
Reply #4

Ridge

is this the same Shane Duffy people are talking about here?

may as well start the shouts for Victor Anichebe to come back as well eh?

Or Mustafi or Dier?

October 22, 2017, 05:00:24 PM
Reply #5

Ridge

Where has this Shane Duffy love in come from?

Is it just a knee jerk to Williams being crap because prior to that not once has he been metioned as one-that-got-away.

From having watched him play a fair bit and more recently.

And to be clear, I wasn't saying we should definitely get him. Just that he has developed into important player for club and country and would command a decent fee.

He's currently 2nd in PL for combined blocks, clearances and interceptions and Brighton have better defensive record than us, so just seems like outdated opinions.

October 22, 2017, 07:15:07 PM
Reply #6

Ridge

There's a reasonable argument that he's now a good defender who would be decent for us. There isn't an argument whatsoever though that we missed a trick by not letting him go at the time, not that I am saying you are the one saying that.

Yep, totally agree

October 23, 2017, 05:58:24 PM
Reply #7

Ridge

Don't put Keane in a back 4 at the moment, he's been dropping too deep, it's what he's done for last few years. On the rare occasions he hasn't dropped too deep, another player will assume he has. Top teams can't afford to have 8 players defending deep every game, and we don't setup that way. It leaves the space in front of defence to pick passes.

I'd be interested to see how many times players have been caught offside against us, because I can hardly remember it happening this season. It's just an issue we can't afford to offer, unless we have a counter attack, which we don't, he is the slowest relay runner and it stretches the team and leaves us vulnerable

It's still something he can learn and improve, but let him do it out the team, and use the experienced players to settle things. Jags and Williams are not fantastic, but they are our best combination at present, given situation. Alternatively teach Pickford to shout "fuck off" like a reversing sensor for defence.

I don't think Jags or Williams can cover the deficit, maybe Holgate and/or Funes Mori could long term. 18 yard line is deep enough until ball is there, Pickford doesn't command the box that much, and I do think Keane would be more comfortable with Robles behind him.

Maybe work Keane back in gradually and as needs, but probably with pitch size in consideration and get him to hold a higher line, build partnership with Holgate with his pace on the backtrack. Use both sets at different times, but get some familiarity and organisation.

I was wondering the other day if he'd work best as like a some sort of sweeper in a back 3 because of pace issues, he is tidy on the ball and can come forward with it, while he can catch up with play and be an aerial threat at both ends. Maybe even get him knocking long passes and build some of our creative play around him, would be a strange system.

But would mean we could play more attacking midfielders in central positions, while also freeing him up to chase aerial balls and not have to worry about the back line or runners. Maybe even sneak him further forward like Fellaini for a bit of a chuckle every now and then or if we're behind. He actually has looked more comfortable on the ball than I was expecting. Not sure he's good enough to warrant that sort of role, but was trying to think how you'd get the best out of him and I ended up with an inverted Fellaini.

October 23, 2017, 07:37:17 PM
Reply #8

Ridge

I think a problem makes everything around look like a problem too. Not a lot of the other components have changed and it's been clear for a while that we are defending like a team fighting relegation.

Pickford has been a decent shot stopper and he's good on the ball, and while he's not commanding, neither is De Gea. And it's generally more of an additional benefit to come out as you do take risk, as long as he does come for the easy ones in and around goalmouth that Pickford does.

Goalkeeper is not crucial to shape of team, and if it is, you've got the wrong keeper. I see no reason for defenders to be blowing Pickford's nose and wiping his bum. And maybe he gives bad commands or spreads anxiety and that's part of the issue for Keane and others. But it's certainly the defenders positioning and movement that is suspect and I think it's fairly clear one of the main problems is Keane.

November 24, 2017, 06:04:51 AM
Reply #9

Ridge

Whoever is in charge of future matches, surely has to drop Keane in favour of Jags and Williams, maybe Holgate, or at least go to 3 at the back.

It's not working, we've been trying to persevere since start of the season and it's still the same problem in defence. Keane is clearly not playing at his best, but he's not played into form or improved. It's half a dozen chances and 2 or 3 goals a game. Williams was shocking tonight, but atleast with him and Jags last season we looked a bit pants, rather than a pair of torn and soiled undercrackers.

Whether there is some pressure from Walsh for manager to play Keane and prove him right or something. It seems bizarre that we persist with something, that so clearly doesn't work and has major issues. It doesn't matter how much we paid for him, it's not working and I don't think Unsworth or any new manager is going to solve it by repeating the same pattern.

December 12, 2017, 12:47:37 AM
Reply #10

Ridge

Last 6 games Keane started - 20 goals conceded
Last 4 games Keane not starting - 1 goal conceded

December 12, 2017, 02:39:34 AM
Reply #11

Ridge

How many of those 6 were under unsworth

2 Koeman, 4 Unsworth.