November 18, 2017, 05:04:48 AM

Author Topic: Ratings  (Read 1119 times)

August 18, 2017, 08:54:40 AM
Read 1119 times

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
No ratings thread?

Pickford - 8 Going from strength to strength. After having tons to do at Sunderland last season, his concentration has been immense. Not a lot to do first half but made several crucial saves the second.

Martina - 8 I know high marks. But he did exceptionally well tonight, linked up superbly with Lookman in the first half particularly.
Keane - 8 Solid and got a goal. Has settled in very well. MOTM
Williams - 7 Did nothing wrong, very solid and looked mobile.
Baines - 8 Getting back to form, was very positive and seemed to relish the armband.

Lookman - 7 Very impressive performance first half, great ball control from all the long passes sent his way, and he has pace.
Gana - 8 All over the place again, took over the lead from Schneiderlin in second half
Schneiderlin - 7 Very composed performance, shame about the yellow, but best performance from him of the season
Mirallas - 7 Very busy, some decent runs and good passing. Looked better than he has done of late.
Klaassen - 8 Am giving him an 8 because he was crucial to both our goals and also played the killer pass that Rooney should have scored from. If he carries on this performance, I'll be very happy

Rooney - 7 Mature performance, should have scored, offside too often

Subs

DCL - 6 Put himself about a bit, didn't really excel though
Davies - 7 He and Gana don't work that well without Schneiderlin imo but he was all over the pitch again. Good aggression and passion
Besic - 5 For once he didn't get injured but I didn't see much of him really
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

deCoubertin

August 18, 2017, 09:10:56 AM
Reply #1

Jamokachi

Besic - 5 For once he didn't get injured but I didn't see much of him really

Agree with the ratings for the most part. Whilst I don't disagree with the above I would say the reason we didn't see much of him is because he wasn't given the ball much. He seemed to be finding space well and making good little runs in midfield, but the pass was rarely forthcoming. Not sure what that says about the trust his teammates have in him with the ball, but I thought he deserved to be picked out a bit more often.

August 18, 2017, 09:45:56 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Generally very strong, but I think that performance really underlined our need for another forward option. We looked far more threatening than we have of late but the second half it just wasn't working with Rooney or DCL more advanced. The offsides were a bit of a joke, but do underline the problem a little. Reminded me of our makeshift use of Mirallas as a striker years ago.

August 18, 2017, 09:57:54 AM
Reply #3

blueski

thought the performance underlined schneiderlin's importance to the team as after he went off hajduk had more of the ball and his ability to pick good crossfield passes was really missed

things got worse with klassen off who did a lot of little things right

also think the game sort of underlined that we're missing barry as well more so than a striker - that extra individual capable of running a game from deep - while I didn't think davies did that much wrong he isn't the type who offers this to the team

also think koeman was spot on with respect to tactics from the start
Nil Satis

August 18, 2017, 11:15:35 AM
Reply #4

Mac934

Agree with those ratings, although 8 a bit high for Martina, quite a few misplaced passes, still 7 and I think he will improve with game time. His crossing is very good on the whole.

August 18, 2017, 12:47:18 PM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Thought along with Schneiderlin's passing being missed second half it also showed that it reduces Gueye's effectiveness as he's not able to disrupt the opposition higher up the pitch if he's asked to be the deepest midfielder.

They had that bit more time to pass into their more advanced midfielders which coupled with one less defensive midfielder in there gave them more of a foothold.

Davies' big strength is that he's got a bit of everything about him but he's better in the opposition's half so that means Gueye has to be deeper if it's those two who are playing.

Thought Lookman looked threatening in the first half before tiring.

Mirallas again wasn't awful but he just plays safely so often. Took on his man once on the outside and beat him so it was frustrating that his most common attacking move was the now standard square run. He's good enough with both feet to not be so predictable.

Klaassen shows signs of good play and you can see his intelligence but still needs to get up to speed with how fast the tempo should be. He's obviously not physically fast so I don't think we'll see the best of him for a few weeks / months.

August 18, 2017, 01:19:33 PM
Reply #6

Toddacelli

Agree with those ratings, although 8 a bit high for Martina, quite a few misplaced passes, still 7 and I think he will improve with game time. His crossing is very good on the whole.
Don't think he misplaced more than Rooney and definitely less than Lookman.

Pleasantly surprised with him.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 18, 2017, 01:21:54 PM
Reply #7

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with the ratings for the most part. Whilst I don't disagree with the above I would say the reason we didn't see much of him is because he wasn't given the ball much. He seemed to be finding space well and making good little runs in midfield, but the pass was rarely forthcoming. Not sure what that says about the trust his teammates have in him with the ball, but I thought he deserved to be picked out a bit more often.
This is very true, I guess you don't see much of players off the ball on t.v. but he was making some very good runs during his time on the pitch.

August 18, 2017, 02:13:45 PM
Reply #8

Macca77

8's all round
9's for the two Hadjuk fans / cheerleaders stood at the front with their backs to the game for 90 mins, they were superb

August 18, 2017, 02:46:15 PM
Reply #9

van der Meyde

Lookman's passing to overlapping full backs wasn't quite right, but once he starts getting that right - particularly when he's tired - he'll be a great option for us. I could easily see him being a regular feature in the starting 11 by the end of the season.

Davies really reminded me of Gerrard at times, both good and bad.

I've been critical of the Rooney signing, but when he keeps it simple he's still a really good footballer. Like Davies, he possibly gets a little ambitious with his marauding for our team shape to cope, and it wasn't his day second half, but keep it up and he'll have me eating my words in no time.

Schneiderlin much better today. I was particularly pleased that he was a bit more forward thinking and expansive with his passing.

Klaassen getting better. He even assisted the assistor twice.

Good goal from Gueye. I'll moan about him playing in these types of home games less if he keeps getting in the box like that. It's been nice to see him having a few shots in the final 3rd this season.

Martina was decent. It's not particularly borne out in the summary statistics (59/98 forward, 39/98 backwards; 27 passes going to the final 3rd) but it felt like his passing was a little safe.

Really pleased to see Mirallas hug the wing in the first half. Quite why he/we stopped doing that in the second half I'm not sure.

Everyone else was good/as you'd expect.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:51:57 PM by van der Meyde »

August 18, 2017, 03:44:43 PM
Reply #10

Robioto

I was pleased to see Martina play well, in my opinion he's been poor up to now including preseason, but he seems to be growing with each game. His crossing was good, he was far more positive than previous games and linked well with Lookman, he also defended quite well for the most part.

Gueye was on another level again, fast becoming my favourite player.

August 18, 2017, 03:45:26 PM
Reply #11

di_guyo

I'd give Schneiderlin an 8 for the time he was on the pitch. The yellow meant he was at risk, but in that first half he was superb. Some of them cross-field balls, switching the play sublimely every time. Back to his best yesterday.

Gana, as more or less always, was immense. I found it mental to see some people suggesting he should be on the bench before the game, how can you pick a team without this lad in it? He gives us so much. Top player.

Was made up with Klaassen's impact on this one, as I was seriously worried on his previous showings. His play for the second goal in particular was fantastic.

Martina was definitely playing it safe a lot, but looked a solid enough back up on that performance. Some great crosses in as well. If we had Sandro fit or another out and out striker, we might have had someone getting on the end of them. I don't think we can rely on Rooney to do that.
Everton & Atleti

August 18, 2017, 05:28:42 PM
Reply #12

SANA_DR0

lol, saw him a few times run around, getting into space, but the pass wasnt forth coming, couple of times he threw his hands up in a puff, then kinda dismissing the person who didnt pass to him (hand gestures)  found it pretty funny to be honest.
think it was keane and williams who he berated lol
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

August 18, 2017, 05:46:53 PM
Reply #13

hill135

I thought everyone was good except Mirallas who was anonymous. Lookman showed him up big time. We need to be addressing that part of the pitch urgently in my view.

Klaassen looked off the pace to me but he still had three or four big moments so when he's adjusted I think we'll see a serious player. Love how he wins the ball in the final third so often.

The second half showed me why I think we'll regret letting Barry leave. We've got one player who can control a game from midfield and when he went off we had to change the shape and looked much less effective.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:32:04 PM by hill135 »

August 18, 2017, 09:26:25 PM
Reply #14

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Everyone played well really, can't have complaints about anyone.

Keane, Gana, Williamd, Pickford and Martina all played particularly well.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"