November 19, 2018, 11:28:26 AM

Author Topic: Man City v Everton  (Read 21206 times)

August 22, 2017, 10:40:40 AM
Reply #855

blue1948

I'm afraid, despite the money we have spent, we are still clearly the 'best of the rest' unfortunately.

I want us to get to the stage where this is not a big result, but a disappointing one.
What a load of bollocks to say that after two games and getting a point at City ,never mind the fact that Gylfi wasn't ready . Idiot .

August 22, 2017, 10:56:53 AM
Reply #856

blue1948

i get city are a good team with quality players

we are Everton we also have quality players, we should never be happy getting played off the park no matter who it is

the way some of you go on you would think we was a sunday league team

i know we are not the best team in the league am not deluded

but we are more than capable, we smashed them 4-0 last season with 11 men

am not saying we should expect to beat everyone. there are better teams
but we need to shake this attitude of the moyes era of feeling lucky to get out alive (alot of you seem to still believe this)

before kick off a draw would have been a good result, but from a winning position with an extra man a draw feels like a loss to me, to me this feels worse than if we got beat 3-0, at the end of the season a point from this might feel like we did well, but we had it in our hands and it feels like we bottled it

First of all the word you should use is -were - the plural of was .
Of course we should be happy sometimes we got a point ,the system worked  and we got played off the park .
The 11 men last season were all settled in and not a team with a few new players plus you cannot say that it was
a normal result last season ,it was a true one off .
Lastly how many times did we play better with 10 men ? It is a psychological thing that concentrates the mind .
If it feels like a 3-0 then put that down in your diary and have a laugh at the season's  end

August 22, 2017, 11:17:33 AM
Reply #857

MrWhite

Thought that was bad officiating- there was contact but it did seem davies made a meal of it. If its seen that way its harsh to book the defender but equally harsh to book davies because there was real contact. Better to make it a no call if you see it that way unless you dont see the contact which seems unlikely
If that's the rule where was Agueros yellow for clutching his thigh when Schneids caught his foot, that's what I want to know. Inconsistent. I like Aguero but he is one of the worst for making a meal, and that's twice it's happened to Tom now, who for me is one of the least likely to play act. The shock on his face after both incidents looked pretty real I thought.

August 22, 2017, 11:22:24 AM
Reply #858

MrWhite

First of all the word you should use is -were - the plural of was .
Of course we should be happy sometimes we got a point ,the system worked  and we got played off the park .
The 11 men last season were all settled in and not a team with a few new players plus you cannot say that it was
a normal result last season ,it was a true one off .
Lastly how many times did we play better with 10 men ? It is a psychological thing that concentrates the mind .
If it feels like a 3-0 then put that down in your diary and have a laugh at the season's  end
Also worth noting there is big difference between playing at home and playing away. We have yet to lose to Pep's City as well, bet few teams will be able to say that now yet alone by Christmas.

August 22, 2017, 12:25:16 PM
Reply #859

BlueBeagle

Did we get played off the park really?

They were limited to precious few chances through a great team display and only managed to score with an absolute gift.

August 22, 2017, 01:20:48 PM
Reply #860

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Poor mistake from Holgate but he will learn. Good game otherwise.

I feel if we want to play with the big boys we should be able to keep possession a bit better against 10 men. They change formation after the red... so what. We should be exploiting heir weakness. Play keep ball. Make them run and chase it. But we invited them into us and from like 30 min to go we're just holding on. That gave them hope and emboldened them.

If he wanted to take Williams off he should of put Martina on and kept 3 at the back. We always look more open with a back four. The extra midfielder is lost and doesn't have the pace to catch up to players with pace. Thought Koeman made a mistake when I saw it.

Amazing how we create fewer chances but better ones when we play 3 at the back too.

Should of won easily tonight. Hope it doesn't cost us at the end of the season. We good enough, we just have to believe in ourselves as does our manager.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 22, 2017, 01:23:45 PM
Reply #861

eyesalwaysblue

Hate the way the games going towards a virtually non contact sport, you can hardly make a challenge it's shite, neither should have gone off, ruins a game.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

August 22, 2017, 01:31:58 PM
Reply #862

ally2

I was sat at below ground level behind the goal in the second row so it was very hard to get any sense of what was happening of fittings fly on the pitch but my thoughts were that DCL and Jags were both very good and that the ref was poor for both teams. Great point.

Hope this works

August 22, 2017, 02:11:59 PM
Reply #863

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

the gulf in class was obvious last night, even against 10 men, but football is like that - we may play them at home, with the same teams, and we may look the far better side (as we did not so long ago). I thought when Koeman went to a back four we were going to let 1 or more in, he shoudnt have changed it imo, but taking a point in a game like that is ok, and its our second game in. We have to be a bit more patient, especially against the really good sides, we are slowly improving so keep the faith, things are on the up.

August 22, 2017, 02:40:40 PM
Reply #864

Rodenplav64

We couldn't string beeds together under Koeman . For me that is why there appeared to be a gulf in class . Playing against 10 men is difficult when you don't keep hold of the ball , sit back and fail to realise the legs of your outlet up front have gone . As a result its fine because like people say its City away . I would swallow that if it wasn't for the fact that we have played 1 good half of football against a poor Hajduk . We have got 4 points though and i would take 8 from our first 5 games so lets see .

August 22, 2017, 02:56:22 PM
Reply #865

Gary1878

Man City are without doubt the best attacking team in the Premier League. It was like watching the old Man Utd with Fergie in charge in their full pomp. Just wave after wave of attack and we did extremely well to resist it. Them having 10 men is almost irrelevant when you have the quality that they have.

I watched Girona v Atletico at the weekend, and Girona were 2-0 up playing really well and at home, with Atletico down to 10 and playing terribly. They came back to draw 2-2. Quality always outplays quantity.

August 22, 2017, 03:22:45 PM
Reply #866

van der Meyde

I don't think we had the formation to take advantage of the man advantage at the beginning of the second half.

Credit to Koeman for trying to change it up, but it was fairly easily countered by City's substitutions and formation change. With hindsight - and it would very much be nitpicking - maybe bringing on Lookman/Mirallas to stretch the game and get another goal might have been better. Koeman was clearly trying to make it easier for us to keep the ball though, so you can't fault his logic. He was just let down a little by a lack of composure at the back at times, so Klaassen and Sigurdsson were never really in it.

In general though, it felt - even in the first half - that we were much more comfortable than the same fixture last season. Other than the goal, the only real chance they had to score was Silva's in the first half. Given how easily they dragged Baines and Jagielka out of position (a masterclass in movement and dropping off from City really), that's a great testament to how well organised Koeman has the defence.

Disappointing result given we were a goal and a man up, but sometimes you've just got to hold your hand up to a great opposition team.

August 22, 2017, 03:45:15 PM
Reply #867

TSGun

Really happy with a point today despite circumstances.

Normally really positive but had this one down as a near certain defeat being in the middle of the cup ties.

August 22, 2017, 04:18:09 PM
Reply #868

Rodenplav64

I don't think we had the formation to take advantage of the man advantage at the beginning of the second half.

Credit to Koeman for trying to change it up, but it was fairly easily countered by City's substitutions and formation change. With hindsight - and it would very much be nitpicking - maybe bringing on Lookman/Mirallas to stretch the game and get another goal might have been better. Koeman was clearly trying to make it easier for us to keep the ball though, so you can't fault his logic. He was just let down a little by a lack of composure at the back at times, so Klaassen and Sigurdsson were never really in it.

In general though, it felt - even in the first half - that we were much more comfortable than the same fixture last season. Other than the goal, the only real chance they had to score was Silva's in the first half. Given how easily they dragged Baines and Jagielka out of position (a masterclass in movement and dropping off from City really), that's a great testament to how well organised Koeman has the defence.

Disappointing result given we were a goal and a man up, but sometimes you've just got to hold your hand up to a great opposition team.

I don't disagree but to some extent our passing under Koeman is shite and it if wasn't for Ganas recovery of the ball I seriously think we would be fucked . We are easily pressed even by teams like Stoke because the pace of our game is poor ( hence the slow starts ) and that won't really be improved by the players we have bought . Doing well with a team set up for the counter who everyone thinks will fade by the seasons end in Southampton and getting Everton to the next level are worlds apart . Getting us to 7th is the minimum . Still next game on Thursday and City will after all rip better teams than us a new one .

August 22, 2017, 04:25:38 PM
Reply #869

Lxxx

I don't disagree but to some extent our passing under Koeman is shite and it if wasn't for Ganas recovery of the ball I seriously think we would be fucked . We are easily pressed even by teams like Stoke because the pace of our game is poor ( hence the slow starts ) and that won't really be improved by the players we have bought . Doing well with a team set up for the counter who everyone thinks will fade by the seasons end in Southampton and getting Everton to the next level are worlds apart . Getting us to 7th is the minimum . Still next game on Thursday and City will after all rip better teams than us a new one .

You've got a point to be fair. We still seem incapable of manipulating the ball for long periods, which has to be a huge flaw in our game if we can't do it over a year into Koeman's reign.
I do worry Koeman has become so obsessed in getting players in who have a record of good stats (goals and assists) that he kind of just hopes they'll all click together, without identifying a clear system and way of playing and bringing players in to suit.

However we've played 5 and haven't lost yet so let's have this discussion this time next week and see where we're at.