December 13, 2018, 05:21:48 AM

Author Topic: Man City v Everton  (Read 21622 times)

August 22, 2017, 02:58:02 AM
Read 21622 times

van der Meyde

Happy to welcome the new members to the Calvert-Lewin fan club. The lad's gonna be great.

August 22, 2017, 04:36:06 AM
Reply #1

van der Meyde

Thought Pickford was disappointingly wasteful with the ball at his feet.

He has wonderful distribution with the ball in his hands, but it felt like every time he kicked it off the deck it came straight back to us.

August 22, 2017, 03:22:45 PM
Reply #2

van der Meyde

I don't think we had the formation to take advantage of the man advantage at the beginning of the second half.

Credit to Koeman for trying to change it up, but it was fairly easily countered by City's substitutions and formation change. With hindsight - and it would very much be nitpicking - maybe bringing on Lookman/Mirallas to stretch the game and get another goal might have been better. Koeman was clearly trying to make it easier for us to keep the ball though, so you can't fault his logic. He was just let down a little by a lack of composure at the back at times, so Klaassen and Sigurdsson were never really in it.

In general though, it felt - even in the first half - that we were much more comfortable than the same fixture last season. Other than the goal, the only real chance they had to score was Silva's in the first half. Given how easily they dragged Baines and Jagielka out of position (a masterclass in movement and dropping off from City really), that's a great testament to how well organised Koeman has the defence.

Disappointing result given we were a goal and a man up, but sometimes you've just got to hold your hand up to a great opposition team.

August 22, 2017, 05:33:42 PM
Reply #3

van der Meyde

Also anyone who thinks Keane is a ball playing centre back is off their heads. He looks good and he looks quite comfortable but his passing looks about the same as Williams or Jags to me tbh.
His passing is really hit and miss, isn't it.

He's not a ball playing centre back in the composed, passing it on the deck and dictating play style that John Stones might be.

He looks to be pretty good at lofted passes though, which I think will help against teams that sit back against us.

August 22, 2017, 09:08:16 PM
Reply #4

van der Meyde

I don't ever like not giving Managers time ( as you know from my defence off he whose name is unspeakable in these parts ) but I do like moaning about them .
Take a like and a cool for this.