October 23, 2017, 02:47:58 PM

Author Topic: a left footed central defender and a striker  (Read 6540 times)

August 31, 2017, 01:47:19 PM
Reply #150

Lxxx

Vermaelen was decent in his prime. Shame that was about 4 years ago though.

deCoubertin

August 31, 2017, 02:08:14 PM
Reply #151

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Vermaelen was decent in his prime. Shame that was about 4 years ago though.

Should fit in quite well with our defenders then.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 31, 2017, 02:19:57 PM
Reply #152

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
It's so abundantly clear that Koeman doesn't intend to play with wingers i can't understand why people keep listing it as an issue.
It's not on our radar.

He said he wanted 3 more players. We got the attacking midfielder in Sigurdsson, looks like Vermaelen is the left sided defender which leaves a Striker.
If a striker comes in then we have ticked every box that Koeman has set as objectives:

- Improved the goalkeeper
- Improved the defence
- central midfield was sorted in the last 2 windows
- we had zero options in the 'attacking 3' positions except Barkley. We are now much stronger there (based on what Koeman wants to play - not you lot)
- Striker is the one remaining objective. We were never going to replace Lukaku. But we need someone who can grab a dozen goals.

That last one is so important that i would consider this window a failure (now it's been pointed out to me that you can fail without doing anything wrong) without it. But stop being dicks and not recognising the actual lay of the land everywhere else on the pitch.

August 31, 2017, 04:21:52 PM
Reply #153

Lxxx

It's so abundantly clear that Koeman doesn't intend to play with wingers i can't understand why people keep listing it as an issue.
It's not on our radar.

He said he wanted 3 more players. We got the attacking midfielder in Sigurdsson, looks like Vermaelen is the left sided defender which leaves a Striker.
If a striker comes in then we have ticked every box that Koeman has set as objectives:

- Improved the goalkeeper
- Improved the defence
- central midfield was sorted in the last 2 windows
- we had zero options in the 'attacking 3' positions except Barkley. We are now much stronger there (based on what Koeman wants to play - not you lot)
- Striker is the one remaining objective. We were never going to replace Lukaku. But we need someone who can grab a dozen goals.

That last one is so important that i would consider this window a failure (now it's been pointed out to me that you can fail without doing anything wrong) without it. But stop being dicks and not recognising the actual lay of the land everywhere else on the pitch.

We spent about 28m on a winger last summer. We also bought a promising young winger in January for 10m. To say Koeman doesn't intend to play with wingers is a bold statement that doesn't really have any basis. We're building a squad to play with wingers if needed and also to play with inside forwards if necessary too. It's called flexibility but you can only have that flexibility if you have the players for it.

August 31, 2017, 04:52:31 PM
Reply #154

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
We spent about 28m on a winger last summer. We also bought a promising young winger in January for 10m. To say Koeman doesn't intend to play with wingers is a bold statement that doesn't really have any basis. We're building a squad to play with wingers if needed and also to play with inside forwards if necessary too. It's called flexibility but you can only have that flexibility if you have the players for it.

I was of the impression Lookman is looking to be a CF not a winger.
Bolasie, fair enough. You can add Vlasic in as well really.

But, you know why it's not that bold of a statement?
Because he isn't playing wingers.

Lennon/Lookman/Vlasic are definitely 'Plan B' for when the main way of playing isn't working.