November 22, 2017, 03:20:52 AM

Author Topic: Davies the diver  (Read 1591 times)

August 22, 2017, 08:40:15 PM
Reply #15

Marky Mark and the funky

To me he left the ground and then dangled a leg out to ensure contact, in my eyes that is a dive. A Gerrard dive if you like

I cannot argue with that at all, the way he goes down did remind me of Gerrard getting caught diving for Engurland!

I wanted our lad to be innocent of course...

deCoubertin

August 22, 2017, 08:44:22 PM
Reply #16

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be happier to see refs let the game go on a bit longer if the player genuinely tries to stay on his feet. Currently if he does and the 'advantage' comes to nothing (eg shot wide/saved etc) that's the end but if the ref could still call it back then it sort of gives the player two chances and 'diving' just removes one chance so the incentive to go down is reduced.
Refs get blamed a lot in these situations but it's players and managers who continually seek to con the ref and when they are victims of it they whinge and moan.
The solution lies mostly with the professionals but refs need to be consistent and brave as well. Can't remember which game now but watching MotD on Saturday a player was criticised for not going down and subsequently losing the advantage.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

August 22, 2017, 08:46:56 PM
Reply #17

SANA_DR0

regardless of him making the most of it, Davies was caught, his back leg/thigh was taken from underneath him.

much more of a freekick than what Schneiderlin got sent off for.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

August 22, 2017, 08:53:47 PM
Reply #18

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It was a bang on dive.

He does it quite a lot. Not arsed, good.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 22, 2017, 09:06:48 PM
Reply #19

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
He's a teenager. You've seen Kevin the teenager? I'm sure Tom will grow out of thinking the whole World's against him as well. ;D

Ross hasn't  :laugh:

August 22, 2017, 11:28:09 PM
Reply #20

Django

NSNO Subscriber
Like it or not, it's a part of the game these days.

Successful teams are littered with players that dive to win FKs, pens etc.

I think if we're to be successful then we have to forget any kind of mentality of playing by the rules. Gets you nowhere.

August 22, 2017, 11:36:32 PM
Reply #21

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
You know, having read some of these posts I'm no longer certain. Maybe it was the shock of having to talk about this subject with a player I kinda wanna worship.. I can't say I'm sure he dived, but I am no longer prepared to try and defend him.  :-[

August 23, 2017, 12:24:28 AM
Reply #22

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Let's take our Everton hats off for a minute. Davies is prone to the odd dive or two, I think last night was a dive as he went down before the contact.
I don't really care if he dives tbh, as long as he's good at it and it helps the team then I'm happy. If he becomes a really shit diver and starts getting Yellow carded for it then he needs to pack it in.

I'd hate him if he played for anyone else but I love him because he's ours.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

August 23, 2017, 12:33:18 AM
Reply #23

gizzblue

Morgs deffo thought Aguero dived judging by him pointing in his face ...as for Davies ...he dived .

August 23, 2017, 12:40:55 AM
Reply #24

Simon Paul

Administrator
it's how they got to Barkley isn't it?

he was accused of diving all the time, booked for it a few times, and now we have the Ross Barkley we all know today

August 23, 2017, 12:46:19 AM
Reply #25

Zoolander

Davies made a meal of it. Not sure I'd call it a dive though as there was contact. IMO it shouldn't have been a yellow as there was contact, but neither should it have been a foul.
Bit of a grey area I guess.
DCL also made a meal of what was clear contact for their sending off. Probably was a foul but the yellow was harsh.
And finally Aguero definitely dived for our sending off. Fuck all contact at all.
In summary, it's part of the modern game and as long as our players are not flinging themselves all over the shop then I'm fine with players trying to buy a little extra. The problem for us and most of the league is the press will be all over it when you do it against one of the media's favourites. Whereas when it's them doing it it's clever.

August 23, 2017, 01:09:10 AM
Reply #26

Marky Mark and the funky

Maybe it was the shock of having to talk about this subject with a player I kinda wanna worship.. I can't say I'm sure he dived, but I am no longer prepared to try and defend him.  :-[

Absolutely why I started this thread. I naturally assumed every Evertonian would stick up for him but feel I have been brought back down to earth, in a good way lads and lasses :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:11:53 AM by Marky Mark and the funky »

August 23, 2017, 01:30:38 AM
Reply #27

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I will never accept that cheating, which is what diving is, should be tolerated as part of the game. Davies dived at the Etihad and the ref was correct. It was embarrassing as he was wearing an Everton shirt for all the world to see.. Their player also cheated to get Schneiderlin sent off, that is City's business. Both perpetrators should be ashamed. When someone dives playing against us, all hell breaks loose and abuse follows.  Some players, like Baines for example would not lower themselves to do it. Davies is immature and hopefully Koeman will set him straight.

Every player does it to some degree. Baines even did it to a degree with Walker's first yellow card. Walker didn't make much contact at all really.

There is no escaping it in the modern game until UEFA bring in some sort of retrospective punishment that would be enough of a deterrent. Maybe they embellish the knock so that they time waste, or trying to get the opposition player in trouble, or they're trying to win a penalty or free kick, or maybe they're just tired and take the contact for a breather. There are many degrees to it.

As for Davies, I think he took the contact given the position on the pitch and the amount of players in front of him. The opposition player definitely tried to impede his run, maybe he wasn't trying to bring him down but just put Davies off his run enough to slow him up and gain an advantage that way. Was that sort of action really much better? Both were trying to bend the rules to their advantage.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:34:15 AM by blueToffee »

August 23, 2017, 01:30:41 AM
Reply #28

MmmBlueRamirez

He's no Tom Daley mind.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 23, 2017, 02:26:18 AM
Reply #29

eyesalwaysblue

Diving, Acting just fuck it off, let them all do it.
I still despise Clive Thomas..