October 24, 2017, 12:53:19 PM

Author Topic: Rooney Retires  (Read 1912 times)

August 24, 2017, 02:59:27 AM
Reply #45

Elgoodo1978

Out of curiosity.  I'm Welsh and was wondering how many on here actual care about the national team.  I do support Wales a little and look out for England if there are any Everton players in the squad.  Media pisses me off too much with both teams for me to give too much of a fuck on either, though admittedly  I did get caught up with the Euro's hysteria (Wales)

deCoubertin

August 24, 2017, 03:16:31 AM
Reply #46

eyesalwaysblue

Rom was to busy looking up his own tubes to notice fuck all.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

August 24, 2017, 03:43:25 AM
Reply #47

American Evertonian

It seems he was getting recalled but declined the offer.

@Jimmywhack means that he (Rooney) has swerved England as Southgate picks players like Livermore.

You're right. Saw that quote recently. Good for him to have the opportunity to decide and it not be forced upon him
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

August 24, 2017, 04:03:14 AM
Reply #48

Zoolander

Out of curiosity.  I'm Welsh and was wondering how many on here actual care about the national team.  I do support Wales a little and look out for England if there are any Everton players in the squad.  Media pisses me off too much with both teams for me to give too much of a fuck on either, though admittedly  I did get caught up with the Euro's hysteria (Wales)
Couldn't really give a fuck about England these days. Shame because I've seen them in France, Japan and the Uk, but the media and over hype , along with their love in for Man U and the shite have negged me out tbh. I'm watching the Malta - England game in a week or two and I'm not that fussed. (Only going as I live here). The only downside to Rooney retiring from international football is that I won't see him here in malta. Otherwise it's a good thing for us blues.

August 24, 2017, 04:14:46 AM
Reply #49

ally2

Watching English is entertaining but from the point of laughing at them really and those that blue smoke up their arses. The is WITHOUT DOUBT a bias in selection towards players from the bigger clubs though. And the arguments made for following form or pedigree are only a means of justifying playing the names the coach wants rather than there being any kind of principal or philosophy.

August 24, 2017, 04:32:17 AM
Reply #50

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Not sure if it's a Liverpool (the area) thing, but I don't know anyone who gives a shit about England.
I remember Ian Snowden saying that he was really shocked at how scousers didnt really care about England. When he first come to Everton he got all excited because England was playing a qualifier that night, he went to the local pub and it was dead, they didn't even bother putting the match on.

Because of my dads side of the family I've been brainwashed to support Scotland over England anyway, which provides more laughs than good football, but hey-ho.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

August 24, 2017, 05:11:18 AM
Reply #51

Optimistic Blue

I think people used to care a lot more from euro 96 till around 2006. The lack of elite premier league players being english, the fact all the players are charisma vaccums, the corporatism of the national team, aforementioed media bollocks and generally shit boring football has all lead to everyone just not bothering anymore. In my opinion anyway x
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

August 24, 2017, 05:24:13 AM
Reply #52

Alanvideo

Not sure if it's a Liverpool (the area) thing, but I don't know anyone who gives a shit about England.
I remember Ian Snowden saying that he was really shocked at how scousers didnt really care about England. When he first come to Everton he got all excited because England was playing a qualifier that night, he went to the local pub and it was dead, they didn't even bother putting the match on.

Because of my dads side of the family I've been brainwashed to support Scotland over England anyway, which provides more laughs than good football, but hey-ho.
............I'm old enough to remember England winning the World Cup and we thought it was the start of something big. But it wasn't. With some exceptions ,players don't reproduce their club form in an England shirt and the result is boring ,sterile football. I'm really not arsed and I don't know anyone who is ,except when we play Scotland.
We are special ,we are Everton.

August 24, 2017, 05:32:02 AM
Reply #53

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
My only interest in England is hoping our players comeback in one piece.
Watched all the games at Goodison and Old Trafford in 1966. England in the semi at Goodison was changed to Wembley. Never forgave the bastards and had a ticket for the final but didn't bother going.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

August 24, 2017, 06:50:11 AM
Reply #54

Evertonian in NC

Rom may well have seen it, but let's face it, he's more likely to experience it at Utd, isn't he?

More likely, but far less meaningful.  He will perhaps recognize that someday.  The folly of youth.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 24, 2017, 09:27:36 PM
Reply #55

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Imagine, I mean just imagine how he would feel if England won the World Cup next year !
Anyway, that's one thing he won't have to worry about, with the squad Southgate picked today I can't even see them getting to the knock out stages.

August 25, 2017, 05:21:03 AM
Reply #56

American Evertonian

After this and everything I have no doubt that Rooney will still build himself into Everton lore and be remembered as an Evertonian despite all of his records for Utd.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

August 27, 2017, 07:17:37 PM
Reply #57

Elgoodo1978

Yeah that's the impression off my mates there, thought it was just my group like.  Liverpool was once the capital of Wales, not a huge step up from Scotland but just putting that out there for yah.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:19:30 PM by Elgoodo1978 »