November 24, 2017, 05:51:18 AM

Author Topic: Carabao Cup Draw - 3rd Round  (Read 1545 times)

August 24, 2017, 03:45:25 PM
Reply #15

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
McGeady will play a blinder and tear us apart with scintillating unstoppable wing play. Years of pent up emotion at being written off as not good enough will be released in 60 minutes before he is tackled by Besic and carried off on a stretcher.

Fixed that for you.  ;D

deCoubertin

August 24, 2017, 04:08:23 PM
Reply #16

Gary1878

Shouldn't be much of an issue to get past them, home or away.

August 24, 2017, 04:53:24 PM
Reply #17

Ross

With it being such as good cause and seeing as neither team will ever win this we should just send the winner of the Bradley Lowery memorial game through to the next round and not bother with the match.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

August 24, 2017, 05:57:03 PM
Reply #18

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

I've always been against the idea of cup winners going into the champions league, especially league cup. At the end of the day the champions league is for the best teams in europe from the best leagues. You can fluke a cup win, get a few easy teams and possibly have to beat one top team. The top 4 have proven to be the best teams, most consistent across a season.

Yeah I get the point that if cup winners went in it would level the playing field possibly. If more mid table teams had a crack at it but I'm not sure that would happen. The top clubs would still sweep the trophies up. It would also dimish the league and top players wouldn't come to it. If only the top 2 and the cup winners get into the champs league are top players gonna take a chance on joining one of the big 6/7 if potentially only 2 of them will get into the champs league, or are they gonna go to a top team in another league?

Agree about the time of the draw. Farce

That's where I fundamentally disagree with you, the Champions League is not just for the "best/richest" clubs, but it should be for the Champions. If you do well and finish 1st, then you are the champion and enter it. If you dont do as well and finish 4th, you should not get in, say, compared to someone who finished 5th and won the FA cup, they were champions of the FA cup, and enter the CL. Simple. Its with this thinking that some clubs luckily enough to be good at the time (and not banned from Europe when they were good) that consistently received lots of money over a very long period of time, to become bigger and bigger with CL money. It'snot so apparent now with TV money, but still, there is a big draw and incentive for CL places. I very much doubt the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton would be regulars in the CL, as teams would take cup competitions a bit more serious due to a CL place for the "Champions". As I say, it will never change because of all the money swilling around that the "big" teams draw with TV figures, it will only make the big teams bigger and the smaller teams smaller, unfortunately. The likes of United vs Barcelona in the CL would draw a lot more viewers than Huddersfield vs Braga, but what have viewing figures got to do with the spirit of football, and if you could bottle and sell the spirit that those Huddersfield or Braga fans would have in the final, then that would be worth a lot more to them than money men making our top 4 or 5 teams even bigger, year upon year, until the inevitable Big Team European Superleague, that we will most probably not be part of, the way its going these days. If you see my point?

August 24, 2017, 06:04:11 PM
Reply #19

Shogun

Administrator
I have the sneaky suspicion Vaughan will score.

Are you suggesting a former Everton striker will score against us at Goodison in the third round of the league cup for a championship side?

I bet you think we'll applaud him and go on to lose as well.

Seems a bit far fetched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37345998
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

August 24, 2017, 06:06:35 PM
Reply #20

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'd love a cup but...is it feasible?

Last fifteen years league cups have been won by the top 6, bar 3 flukes.

Last fifteen years FA cups same again, bar 2 flukes.

I'd love a cup but...if it's not a regular thing then what does it mean? And is it feasible because tbh I think probably no.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 24, 2017, 06:11:03 PM
Reply #21

BlueNoseMike

That's where I fundamentally disagree with you, the Champions League is not just for the "best/richest" clubs, but it should be for the Champions. If you do well and finish 1st, then you are the champion and enter it. If you dont do as well and finish 4th, you should not get in, say, compared to someone who finished 5th and won the FA cup, they were champions of the FA cup, and enter the CL. Simple. Its with this thinking that some clubs luckily enough to be good at the time (and not banned from Europe when they were good) that consistently received lots of money over a very long period of time, to become bigger and bigger with CL money. It'snot so apparent now with TV money, but still, there is a big draw and incentive for CL places. I very much doubt the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton would be regulars in the CL, as teams would take cup competitions a bit more serious due to a CL place for the "Champions". As I say, it will never change because of all the money swilling around that the "big" teams draw with TV figures, it will only make the big teams bigger and the smaller teams smaller, unfortunately. The likes of United vs Barcelona in the CL would draw a lot more viewers than Huddersfield vs Braga, but what have viewing figures got to do with the spirit of football, and if you could bottle and sell the spirit that those Huddersfield or Braga fans would have in the final, then that would be worth a lot more to them than money men making our top 4 or 5 teams even bigger, year upon year, until the inevitable Big Team European Superleague, that we will most probably not be part of, the way its going these days. If you see my point?

I can see your point, and I do like the romaticism of your idea, but I'll just have to disagree with it. If Palace had won the FA cup the other year I'd have been gutted as an Arsenal fan that it cost me a champs league place when I've consistently performed better over the course of a league season.

Also, like I say it could reduce the overall quality of the league as top players would not come to take a chance on either winning a cup or getting into the top 2.

Plus I'd be  miffed personally as we look to build an attack on the top 4 that it would turn into a top 2 :/

August 24, 2017, 06:13:14 PM
Reply #22

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber

It's a nice idea morally but to be entirely fair if you don't take the quality thing into consideration, and allow only teams for being champions, you'd have to even out the distribution over the whole of UEFA too, and that would lead to group stages that were like world cup qualifying, a stroll for certain teams. The would lead to a far lower demand from viewers, and so TV money, which is what drives the whole money thing. You'd end up getting very little money for being in it. For an example, see the relative poor value we get for being in the Europa league unless we make it to the later stages with drop down CL teams.

August 24, 2017, 06:14:35 PM
Reply #23

Marky Mark and the funky

I certainly feel the title of the 'Champions' League is a joke but the way it is set up at the moment more teams get access to the excitement of European competition.

It may be about money but would you have rather, for example, we never got to see that goal against Larissa because the European tournaments stuck to a 'pure' only-the-best concept?

I'm not sure I would, although the principal of Champions cup, Cup-winners Cup etc was certainly much cleaner and I'd like to think it could still work somehow.

August 24, 2017, 06:14:40 PM
Reply #24

TheTone

Bout time we fluked a cup

August 24, 2017, 06:20:39 PM
Reply #25

Evertonian in NC

We could always just call it the League Cup, sponsors be damned.  None of us work for Sky, do we?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 24, 2017, 06:36:43 PM
Reply #26

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
We could always just call it the League Cup, sponsors be damned.  None of us work for Sky, do we?
BBC called it the EFL cup in their article about

I had to google it to find out that the company make energy drinks

Simply simply lovely

August 24, 2017, 07:07:16 PM
Reply #27

Macca77

We will batter these, 6-0

August 24, 2017, 09:10:43 PM
Reply #28

bacon sarnie

Emotional game. Great atmosphere. 4-1 win. McGeady to score & stop for a ciggie.

August 24, 2017, 09:44:08 PM
Reply #29

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
And is a prime example of how mercenary and money grabbingly shameless the league and football in general has become, detached from the fan and sucking up to anyone with money. It should just be the LEAGUE CUP, with the champions of it going into the Champions League, the FA Cup should just be the FA Cup not the Emirates or whatever cup it will be, again, the champions of that should go in the Champions League, and the Premier League should just be the premier league with the Champions going into the late stages of the Champions League. Its all about fucking money, nothing to do with football. Messi, Ronaldo etc, would still be playing  for the big teams, whether they went for 10 million or a 100 million - all this money swilling around just inflates prices, but as it is transfers are going to always be gobsmackingly tedious and money centric. The way its going the European Super League, made up of the top 3 or 4 super sides around each country in Europe will be  the main event and nobody will give a fuck about every other team, "inferior" leagues, down to grass roots. Carabao? My arse. Good morning.

You have two different issues here, 1) Which European competition you should qualify for having won a cup and 2) The principle of sponsorship in Football (but name me any other sport that does not rely on sponsorship)

To you first issue I would say to win a cup you need to win 8 matches, many of them possibly against lower league sides, to qualify for CL in the current format you have to be consistently better than almost every other club in the league (for automatic qualification) those teams only should go to compete with Europes top teams.

To your second issue, what difference does it really make to you whether it's called The League Cup (which many of us refer to it as regardless of who sponsors it) The Milk Cup, The Littlewoods Cup , The Caraboa Cup or anything else ? I don't agree that the game has become detached from the fans with sponsorship, on the contrary, sponsorship has enabled clubs to reduce ticket prices in many cases, even down to grass roots football and Sunday league clubs are dependant on sponsorship whether from the local builder or the butcher they need the money for kit, pitch hire etc.
Just call it the league cup and the FA Cup, most people do.