November 17, 2018, 03:33:37 PM

Author Topic: DIEGO COSTA  (Read 22449 times)

August 28, 2017, 10:07:02 PM
Read 22449 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No way they're paying that fee for what would see him essentially on an 18 month contract with them!

August 29, 2017, 12:39:44 AM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Even if we got him in, which I doubt, we should still be signing another striker

A 6 month loan would only suggest expediency in the light of no one else being available now.

August 29, 2017, 03:21:03 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm sorry, no matter how good he was last year (when he wanted to play, AND was match fit), I just can't get excited about giving a good player back after half a dozen league games, probably just when hes getting match sharp and decent.

I'd sooner we concentrated our efforts in the last few days in signing someone like Benteke who will want to prove just how good he is at a proper home, or even a very good older striker like a Vardy or even Dzeko as a makeweight, then once we have a permanent and decent main striker for at least a couple of years, THEN worry about getting others in.

If we know that Benteke or Dzeko is very unlikely then I'd rather we got someone in of Costa's quality than take a chance on one of those becoming available in the next few days.

Assuming we'll have someone lined up for January of course.

August 29, 2017, 03:37:08 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I would have hoped we would have had someone lined up when we knew our main man was going, or shortly after, not desperation signings in the last few hours. For such an important position its vital. If Costa hits the ground running, he will be a fantastic addition to the squad (for a few weeks), but if he is anywhere like what we are seeing on the news, then it could add even more disruption for a few weeks. You would think with "Super Walsh" we could find 1 good striker in the world, somewhere.

Well we obviously had Giroud lined up but then he didn't follow it through.

There is an argument we waited too long for him; if that's true then obtaining a short term sticking plaster is better than waiting too long (given the deadline is Thursday) to trying to get someone permanently if the best players aren't available.

August 29, 2017, 04:14:15 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Obviously had Giroud lined up? Maybe we didnt at all. Was there anything ever official and concrete? So much bollox talk in the media/social media at the moment its difficult to know what to even half believe.

Why would there be anything concrete or official?

It was linked for a long time with plenty of separate sources stating it.

Wenger said he was relieved when he stated he was staying etc.

August 29, 2017, 04:16:23 PM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Ambivalent on this one if true.

I think question's would have to be raised about his form in those 6 months after Chelsea won the league with Mourinho.

He's a great striker, no doubt about that, but if he's not in the right frame of mind will it be worth it?

Would he come here if he's not bothered?

Can't see it being worth the hassle if he wasn't going to use it to get himself ready for AM - which means getting fit and in form.

If he was just being packed off with no light at the end of the tunnel then yeah I could see him being problematic.

August 29, 2017, 04:19:51 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If you believed every story of every player we have been linked with over the past few years, we would have a squad of a million by now, and still not have signed Riquelme :D
It wasn't throw away rumours every now and again though it was consistent reporting that he was our main target.

August 30, 2017, 09:34:51 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He'd be zero arsed if he came here

if he's not bothered I'd guess he'd just stay and train with them.

There's no point him coming and not trying.