October 19, 2017, 07:45:34 PM

Author Topic: Ratings v Chelsea  (Read 1455 times)

August 29, 2017, 12:50:30 AM
Reply #30

Cozzie

Credit me with a bit more intelligence than that. Losing away to the champions isn't my issue. Just can't see what our identity or plan is. It worries me that we can't pass the ball, and never have been able to under Koeman. It worries me that his big tactical gambit is long balls to DCL and that we're having 3 shots per match when teams above us are having 3 shots in one single move. Are you convinced, honestly?

I think if you look at last season, we had a good start and then seemed to lose our way a bit and we struggled to really find any sort of "identity". I think it was the period when we just won 1 in 10 and that was West Ham at home.

After that we seemed to click and went on a good run and looked good up until the point when there was nothing left in the season to play for, so a lot of the players downed tools and the season ended badly on that note.

I feel that may be happening again here due to the turnover of players we have had and the fact that they haven't really gelled yet.

Koeman clearly wants to play a certain way and with him being so vocal about wanting another forward in before the window shuts you would like to think things will improve in an attacking sense if the right forward is brought in.

One thing I can say is we do look more solid at the back. Going forward leaves a lot to be desired I do admit, but with replacing Ross and Rom with virtually a whole new attacking line up in the final third, this will be the last part to come to fruition I reckon.

A lot of whole sale changes in my opinion is a big reason as to why we aren't exactly "fluent" at the moment but we did have a lot of good spells under Koeman last season and I feel it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

I may be saying that in blind hope in all honesty but if it does fail its all on him as this is largely his squad and many managers always have to live and die by their signings.

deCoubertin

August 29, 2017, 05:26:50 AM
Reply #31

Ravardo

We didnt even have a shot on goal yesterday either and only 7 shots in total,,,we are having a major problem providing goal scoring opportunitys which is a real worry and what chances we have had how many of those came from a long ball

August 29, 2017, 07:20:06 AM
Reply #32

Juanito

I think we are seeing this season what an elite striker Lukaku is. Power, pace, elite finishing, from minimal chances. I still can't believe the critism he got for his 'weaknesses' but we sold him for 90 million pounds.

August 29, 2017, 07:53:13 AM
Reply #33

Dr. Sponge

A lot of criticism for Koeman recently, and he deserves it for some poor team selections at times.

But the performances... hmmm, some good ones and some bad ones. I personally won't judge Koeman on that until the line is being led by a decent striker or two, instead of Rooney (who isn't a striker any more, but a No.10), DCL (who is far too young for the role of target man) or Sandro (who is a very young gamble from Malaga).

Currently, the blame is largely at the feet of those in charge of recruitment. This could change on deadline day, but we are very low on strikers we can rely on.

Even Watford have a better selection of strikers than us... Okaka, Gray and Deeney. Fucking Watford!

A striker makes a massive difference to how we play.

August 29, 2017, 07:59:50 AM
Reply #34

blueski

the optimist in me thinks he set up like that to erect a neon 100ft tall sign showing the board how badly we need to buy a quality player up top

the realist in me says that he just put out the best team he could at the time though

hopefully the result is the same and we see a couple more faces in
Nil Satis

August 29, 2017, 05:48:38 PM
Reply #35

Redartin

I think we should have ratings for each half of matches to see the actual difference and see who is causing us to only play 45 mins per game.
He is a Moyes dressed up in Ancelotti clothes.

August 29, 2017, 07:48:47 PM
Reply #36

arteta4spain

I think we should have ratings for each half of matches to see the actual difference and see who is causing us to only play 45 mins per game.
Great idea that! Gives us some perspective. ;-)

August 29, 2017, 08:05:44 PM
Reply #37

Marky Mark and the funky

Interesting idea, but what about the scenario where Player A is consistently below average (let's say on a '5') for 70 minutes. Substitution(s) then change the game, bringing more out of Player A, but it's only those 20 minutes he looked like an 8, half-time being nothing to do with it...