November 19, 2017, 01:51:19 AM

Author Topic: Cuco Martina  (Read 2556 times)

August 30, 2017, 08:28:23 PM
Read 2556 times

stirlingblue

Talking about incoming transfers is depressing, so let's have a chat about Martina instead, what are people's thoughts so far?

I was very worried based on the reviews from Southampton fans but have been pleasantly surprised. He's not the strongest defensively but has been a real outlet on the right hand side going forward.

If we're going to keep playing 5ATB I think he should be first choice until Coleman returns unless Kenny is looking ready to step up to Prem level
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:48:06 PM by stirlingblue »

deCoubertin

August 30, 2017, 08:30:46 PM
Reply #1

MmmBlueRamirez

Put some decent crosses in. That's about it.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 30, 2017, 08:32:16 PM
Reply #2

BlueBeagle

Adequate cover.

Nothing more, nothing less.

August 30, 2017, 08:44:34 PM
Reply #3

Lincs Toffee

Linked up well with Lookman I thought and as said puts in a killer cross, bit shit at the defending bit though
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

August 30, 2017, 08:46:20 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

Definitely used to play winger at school, there's a frustrated one still lurking in there.

August 30, 2017, 08:49:27 PM
Reply #5

stirlingblue

Definitely used to play winger at school, there's a frustrated one still lurking in there.

Yeah, said that during the match thread a few times.

Given how short of width we are, it's no bad thing. Converted wingers are all the rage in the 5ATB system like Moses, Valencia, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sane

August 30, 2017, 08:49:50 PM
Reply #6

Macca77

A bit shit

August 30, 2017, 08:58:46 PM
Reply #7

velimski

:Lennon:

August 30, 2017, 09:00:01 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

Yeah, said that during the match thread a few times.

Given how short of width we are, it's no bad thing. Converted wingers are all the rage in the 5ATB system like Moses, Valencia, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sane

He can put a mean cross in and he scored a worldie for Southampton from the edge of the box. Imagine if Koeman put him wide right one cup game and he bossed it. He's not great at defending so it's not like he'd be missed at the back.

August 30, 2017, 09:19:50 PM
Reply #9

Hawkandro

He hasn't been too bad for me, but I wish we would have given JJ Kenny the chance instead. That is my only negative.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

August 30, 2017, 09:46:03 PM
Reply #10

Toddacelli

Decent.

Below where we need to be but better than the calamity I was expecting.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 30, 2017, 09:51:56 PM
Reply #11

Marky Mark and the funky

It's a travesty he's kept Jonjoe Kenny out of the team.

I think Martina is ace at crossing but Kenny is quite a good crosser as well and I think offers more in every other way.

At the end of the day, now that Martina is part of the team I'll back him anyway yet it seems we've settled for attacking choice (Martina) or defensive choice (Holgate) when Jonjoe might have been both!

August 30, 2017, 09:53:38 PM
Reply #12

Lxxx

It's a travesty he's kept Jonjoe Kenny out of the team.

I think Martina is ace at crossing but Kenny is quite a good crosser as well and I think offers more in every other way.

At the end of the day, now that Martina is part of the team I'll back him anyway yet it seems we've settled for attacking choice (Martina) or defensive choice (Holgate) when Jonjoe might have been both!

Or neither, as he's untested at any level above U-23's.

August 30, 2017, 09:55:58 PM
Reply #13

Marky Mark and the funky

Or neither, as he's untested at any level above U-23's.

Would you agree though, Kenny has looked very promising in the relatively low amount of first-team minutes he has been given? That even stretches back to the game Unsworth managed...

I think Koeman has only given him the odd 20 minutes here and there but in those minutes he never made a defensive error and always supplied 2-3 crosses.

August 30, 2017, 10:01:25 PM
Reply #14

Lxxx

Would you agree though, Kenny has looked very promising in the relatively low amount of first-team minutes he has been given? That even stretches back to the game Unsworth managed...

I think Koeman has only given him the odd 20 minutes here and there but in those minutes he never made a defensive error and always supplied 2-3 crosses.

I do actually, just playing devil's advocate. Koeman probably thinks there are enough kids in his squad so even though Kenny probably would have made an impact he doesn't want the balance to be too light on experience. Kenny was probably one too many.