August 15, 2018, 09:02:21 AM

Author Topic: Cuco Martina  (Read 4390 times)

August 30, 2017, 08:46:20 PM
Read 4390 times

Lxxx

Definitely used to play winger at school, there's a frustrated one still lurking in there.

August 30, 2017, 09:00:01 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

Yeah, said that during the match thread a few times.

Given how short of width we are, it's no bad thing. Converted wingers are all the rage in the 5ATB system like Moses, Valencia, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Sane

He can put a mean cross in and he scored a worldie for Southampton from the edge of the box. Imagine if Koeman put him wide right one cup game and he bossed it. He's not great at defending so it's not like he'd be missed at the back.

August 30, 2017, 09:53:38 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

It's a travesty he's kept Jonjoe Kenny out of the team.

I think Martina is ace at crossing but Kenny is quite a good crosser as well and I think offers more in every other way.

At the end of the day, now that Martina is part of the team I'll back him anyway yet it seems we've settled for attacking choice (Martina) or defensive choice (Holgate) when Jonjoe might have been both!

Or neither, as he's untested at any level above U-23's.

August 30, 2017, 10:01:25 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

Would you agree though, Kenny has looked very promising in the relatively low amount of first-team minutes he has been given? That even stretches back to the game Unsworth managed...

I think Koeman has only given him the odd 20 minutes here and there but in those minutes he never made a defensive error and always supplied 2-3 crosses.

I do actually, just playing devil's advocate. Koeman probably thinks there are enough kids in his squad so even though Kenny probably would have made an impact he doesn't want the balance to be too light on experience. Kenny was probably one too many.

August 30, 2017, 10:34:31 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

Koeman doesn't rate Kenny. Fourth choice

I don't think he necessarily doesn't rate him it's just that he's the youngest and least experienced.

September 24, 2017, 11:19:23 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

I can see why he was bought, you can't go into a new season with two young lads at full back, one who had never played a first team game and the other who hasn't played that much more either and doesn't look comfortable there. It was a sensible signing for no money and probably very average wages. If Kenny forces him out of the side it's no biggie, just an experiment that didn't really work.

September 25, 2017, 05:33:25 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

You have a real chip on your shoulder over this, don't you? No one has shitted on anyone for saying Kenny should get a shot. Some have aired on the side of caution, which is completley logical. Let's not forget that Galloway was "better than Baines" only a couple of years ago.

Galloway was never thought to be better than Baines. Completely wrong example to use.

September 25, 2017, 08:11:09 PM
Reply #7

Lxxx

I'm not sure you were around these parts back when Galloway stepped in when Baines was injured, but trust me there were plenty of people saying he should keep his place even when Baines comes back. My point doesn't relate specifically to either player though, more the scenario. That scenario being that young players are unfortunately surrounded by unfairly high expectations based on performances at lower levels. It's easy to get carried away.

I agree, however youngsters do break through all the time. Some just need a chance, others need a little more time and a few just get a stroke of luck. Davies just needed a chance, DCL has had a stroke of luck by us having a poor transfer window and maybe Kenny might fall into that category with Coleman's injury.

I'm not saying Kenny should be in the side but I do think it's only a matter of time before he gets the nod in a few more games, it's then up to him to take the opportunity.