November 25, 2017, 01:51:27 PM

Author Topic: Cuco Martina  (Read 2748 times)

August 30, 2017, 10:03:31 PM
Reply #15

Marky Mark and the funky

I do actually, just playing devil's advocate. Koeman probably thinks there are enough kids in his squad so even though Kenny probably would have made an impact he doesn't want the balance to be too light on experience. Kenny was probably one too many.

Very good reasoning in my book, and I like the keeping the debate going aspect as well. I suppose it is a postive sign Kenny is still in the first-team, just not playing yet.

deCoubertin

August 30, 2017, 10:06:52 PM
Reply #16

kramer0

I feel for Holgate. He plays one bad defensive header against City and Sterling smashes the ball into net, towards the end of an otherwise pristine performance against one of the best attacking sides in the world.

Meanwhile, against Split, Martina plays sloppy passes into the winger pressing him, bombs forward when there's no angle for him to receive the ball (leaving the entire right side open behind him), lets his man get goal side of him on what should have been a simple throw-in to defend, wanders into the middle of the box leaving his winger in tons of space on the far side when a cross beats everybody, and somehow comes out unscathed. He's a ticking time bomb defensively.

He's certainly quick and he's good at drilling in first time crosses. But defensively, he's all over the place in a way that I find genuinely terrifying. He seems like a good guy and he's done incredibly well to grind his way up to a club at our level but I don't want to see him on the team sheet. We're too good to have a player this bad defensively at right back.

For those of you who can handle the defensive madness... you're much stronger than I am.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:15:26 PM by kramer0 »

August 30, 2017, 10:14:46 PM
Reply #17

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Koeman doesn't rate Kenny. Fourth choice

Simply simply lovely

August 30, 2017, 10:21:45 PM
Reply #18

Marky Mark and the funky

It's weird though isn't it? Kenny is not just a promising young player, he was captain for Everton and one of the stand-out, consistent, performers in the England U20s.

He's done well in the few first-team opportunties he's  been given. Must look below the rest in training?

August 30, 2017, 10:23:00 PM
Reply #19

Evertonian in NC

I feel for Holgate. He plays one bad defensive header against City and Sterling smashes the ball into net, towards the end of an otherwise pristine performance against one of the best attacking sides in the world.

Meanwhile, against Split, Martina plays sloppy passes into the winger pressing him, bombs forward when there's no angle for him to receive the ball (leaving the entire right side open behind him), lets his man get goal side of him on what should have been a simple throw-in to defend, wanders into the middle of the box leaving his winger in tons of space on the far side when a cross beats everybody, and somehow comes out unscathed. He's a ticking time bomb defensively.

He's certainly quick and he's good at drilling in first time crosses. But defensively, he's all over the place in a way that I find genuinely terrifying. He seems like a good guy and he's done incredibly well to grind his way up to a club at our level but I don't want to see him on the team sheet. We're too good to have a player this bad defensively at right back.

For those of you who can handle the defensive madness... you're much stronger than I am.

Holgate is very physical and seems to elevate his game against the strongest attacking sides like City.  That unfortunate mistake aside.  He still rated an 8 in the match ratings that I saw, and I would agree.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 30, 2017, 10:27:13 PM
Reply #20

Lazarou

Grim that this is the most positive active thread with 1 day ish to go until the window shuts  :o

Done okay few decent crosses etc.

Was not trusted to start against Citeh or Chelsea so not sure Koeman trusts him that much.

August 30, 2017, 10:34:31 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

I don't think he necessarily doesn't rate him it's just that he's the youngest and least experienced.

August 30, 2017, 10:34:40 PM
Reply #22

bigmanbob

I slaughtered him for the first few games as he was awful but he has got better offensively. This might sound a bit daft but if we want a more attacking wing back I'd go for Martina but if we want a bit more solidity I'd go with Holgate. It makes you appreciate just how fucking boss Coleman is

September 24, 2017, 07:43:04 PM
Reply #23

kramer0

He has some value as a wing back but every time he starts in a back four, I die a little inside.

Watch their goal again. Martina chases the ball to the edge of their defensive third, the defender slips a pass around him, and Bournemouth have an instant advantage going forward. Holgate, Schneiderlin, and Williams did poorly during that sequence but it's a big ask for them to cover all of the space Martina vacated in hopeful pursuit of the ball. If Jonjoe Kenny was that clueless tactically, he wouldn't be picked for the England U20s, let alone Everton.

He's Koeman's player but I'm blaming Steve Walsh for this. If he has as much influence over transfers as we're led to believe, he should have said "absolutely not" when Koeman brought him the name. You only have to watch a handful of games to see that this guy can't defend.

September 24, 2017, 09:17:41 PM
Reply #24

SANA_DR0

He has some value as a wing back but every time he starts in a back four, I die a little inside.

Watch their goal again. Martina chases the ball to the edge of their defensive third, the defender slips a pass around him, and Bournemouth have an instant advantage going forward. Holgate, Schneiderlin, and Williams did poorly during that sequence but it's a big ask for them to cover all of the space Martina vacated in hopeful pursuit of the ball. If Jonjoe Kenny was that clueless tactically, he wouldn't be picked for the England U20s, let alone Everton.

He's Koeman's player but I'm blaming Steve Walsh for this. If he has as much influence over transfers as we're led to believe, he should have said "absolutely not" when Koeman brought him the name. You only have to watch a handful of games to see that this guy can't defend.

For the Bournemouth goal yesterday, Martina, Williams and Schneiderlin where doing nothing, only Holgate was tracking his man, the other 3 where just all over the place, yet Holgate got blamed for trying to slide in and win the ball..
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

September 24, 2017, 09:19:58 PM
Reply #25

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
His crossing was terrible yesterday. He's like an old school right back trying to play wing back.

As soon as Kenny come on our defensive work down the right improved massively, as well as our attacking on that side. I think Martina will just be cover from now on.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 24, 2017, 09:29:19 PM
Reply #26

Realist

He's just a proper shit player

September 24, 2017, 09:36:24 PM
Reply #27

Stumpy

It's shameful martina gets a shirt before Kenny.Martina's crossing yesterday was pathetic.

September 24, 2017, 10:05:17 PM
Reply #28

ally2

Yes he's shit. First he was shit, then he was good, now he's shit again. That was all in the last month I think.

September 24, 2017, 10:12:46 PM
Reply #29

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's not the problem but he shouldn't be playing. Kenny looks ready.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.