November 24, 2017, 09:05:15 PM

Author Topic: Deadline day thread Summer '17  (Read 18446 times)

September 01, 2017, 06:20:32 AM
Reply #1125

sam of the south

Great post that Brownie la most of it's wrong but A for effort
I imagined you shouting I'll give you some truth boy in the voice from a few good men

Now I haven't posted here that long so trawl through my posts if you'd care to and see countless times that I've said I wish we'd signed Chicharito or I wish we'd go for Benteke so that bits garbage

I didn't want us to fail to sign anyone

Me and my lad have season tickets so why would I pay my hard earned money to go and watch something I'd like to fail?

And as for wanting to act big? Grow up mate and enjoy the rest of your holiday in Rhyl as you clearly haven't enjoyed it thus far as you're never off the forum

Au revoir

Mate, leave people alone at the moment, please.

Everyone's a bit disappointed, so stop poking and stoking at this present time.

Your threads are up, so if posters want to add to your musings then that's all good.

I get that we all have different approaches, and different opinions, but we all have our football allegiance in common.

So just let some people 'grieve' (I know that sounds dramatic, but I'll let it stand 😁) without winding them up further; because doing that is just a bit unnecessary.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 01, 2017, 07:48:14 AM
Reply #1126

Jamokachi

Meh, no point in having a melt down.

We are stronger than we were at the start of the window and we're a damn site stronger than we were 12 months ago.

We need to find our identity on the pitch, which is going to take time. All of you who want everything done yesterday need to learn some patience. We aren't Man City or Chelsea of yesteryear, this isn't an overnight project.

We're good enough to get results against most teams in this league, and against opponents in the cup games. We will still be pushing for a top 6 finish.

Yes we all wanted a striker, and it's disappointing that hasn't happened in this window. Hopefully in January we will have re-assessed our options and are able to bring someone in.

You only need look at Chelsea's transfer window, City's Sanchez attempts, Arsenal's debacle to realise that this has been a tough window for lots of teams. Fees had exploded before the Neymar transfer, and then even more so afterwards. We may have had targets lined up, but if selling clubs can't get their targets then the whole thing falls apart.

How many people here have bought and sold houses? Ever been involved in a chain? Ever had someone in that chain drop out? It's exactly the same. To get all pissed off because Everton have "missed out on targets" is far too simplistic a view, it's pretty astonishing how many of you think transfer dealing are akin to Championship Manager, to be frank.

Now that the window is closed we can all settle down and concentrate on the actual football, which is exactly what Koeman and his staff will be doing too.

September 01, 2017, 08:15:36 AM
Reply #1127

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Meh, no point in having a melt down.

We are stronger than we were at the start of the window and we're a damn site stronger than we were 12 months ago.

We need to find our identity on the pitch, which is going to take time. All of you who want everything done yesterday need to learn some patience. We aren't Man City or Chelsea of yesteryear, this isn't an overnight project.

We're good enough to get results against most teams in this league, and against opponents in the cup games. We will still be pushing for a top 6 finish.

Yes we all wanted a striker, and it's disappointing that hasn't happened in this window. Hopefully in January we will have re-assessed our options and are able to bring someone in.

You only need look at Chelsea's transfer window, City's Sanchez attempts, Arsenal's debacle to realise that this has been a tough window for lots of teams. Fees had exploded before the Neymar transfer, and then even more so afterwards. We may have had targets lined up, but if selling clubs can't get their targets then the whole thing falls apart.

How many people here have bought and sold houses? Ever been involved in a chain? Ever had someone in that chain drop out? It's exactly the same. To get all pissed off because Everton have "missed out on targets" is far too simplistic a view, it's pretty astonishing how many of you think transfer dealing are akin to Championship Manager, to be frank.

Now that the window is closed we can all settle down and concentrate on the actual football, which is exactly what Koeman and his staff will be doing too.

That's the question, are we stronger?

It feels overall, and I'm probably repeating myself, as though we've just shifted our problems around the park.

Scoring goals is, without risking stating the obvious, a crucial part of a successful campaign. Everything becomes harder when you don't reliably create and take chances. It feels like we're weaker in that aspect though than probably anytime in the last few years.

So because we messed up in not bringing in a player in such a ridiculously important position, it doesn't feel like we're stronger at this time.

I genuinely can't believe we're in a position where we've sold a player who scored 90% of our goals and we've replaced him effectively with an unproven youth team player.

As Swansea reminded us tonight, you don't sell without having another player signed and sealed. It's truly inept.

We could have and should have not sold Lukaku until we had his replacement in.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:18:36 AM by blueToffee »

September 01, 2017, 08:17:58 AM
Reply #1128

Jamokachi

Yes. We're stronger in 3/4's of the pitch. GK is stronger. Defence is stronger. Midfield is stronger.

September 01, 2017, 08:37:04 AM
Reply #1129

Ramjam

If we had kept Lukaku and brought in the players that we did I'd be confident of at least 5th but 4th wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Lukaku should not have been sold unless a replacement was signed beforehand, he had two fuckin years left on his contract not just one. I feel a bit empty after a deadline day which just yielded the kid from Split, Let's hope he turns out to be the game changer we've all been craving COYB
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

September 01, 2017, 08:42:29 AM
Reply #1130

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Yes. We're stronger in 3/4's of the pitch. GK is stronger. Defence is stronger. Midfield is stronger.

You've seen enough games with us to know when we have a team out there who struggle to score the whole game becomes harder. Much like at the other end when we had our issues conceding so frequently it puts pressure on us to score 3 times just to win a game.

We have certainly got in some good players, but we're also losing a couple of good ones too.

There is certainly the prospect that players will gel and we'll become a better attacking unit. However, as it stands without that knowledge it feels like we're playing a bit of a shell game and have moved our issues around instead of fixing them.

If we're looking to improve and catch the teams above us, perhaps even just one. It's not enough to be good in some areas, we have to be solid across the board.

September 01, 2017, 09:15:09 AM
Reply #1131

Buck76

If we had kept Lukaku and brought in the players that we did I'd be confident of at least 5th but 4th wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Lukaku should not have been sold unless a replacement was signed beforehand, he had two fuckin years left on his contract not just one. I feel a bit empty after a deadline day which just yielded the kid from Split, Let's hope he turns out to be the game changer we've all been craving COYB

Moshie and the marketing department were creaming themselves over Rooney & took there eye off the ball when letting him go, no excuse as we are two main strikers down in effect and not to have signed 1 is discraceful... & Barkley should be forced to face the press/faithful, the shitbag deserves to face the music.

Also is Niasse going to train with the 1st team? Koemans handled this badly considering he's still here and we've now no strikers, his ego won't allow him to back down.... but it would be great if he got on and had a stormer!!!

September 01, 2017, 09:17:02 AM
Reply #1132

Jamokachi

You've seen enough games with us to know when we have a team out there who struggle to score the whole game becomes harder.

I've seen enough to know we are a team that need time to gel and adapt to a new system and style.

September 01, 2017, 09:54:10 AM
Reply #1133

GoodisonPk

This is exactly right. Whats more had we held on till today i think he would have been valued at another 15mill at least.

September 01, 2017, 10:33:51 AM
Reply #1134

bluenuck

Honest Question: Do we have anyone but baines who can play left back??

Something is fundamentally wrong with our transfer process. The niasse fiasco highlights this. Having months to bring in a left back and centre forward also.

Something, or someone just isn't right in our transfer process.

September 01, 2017, 10:34:56 AM
Reply #1135

Jamokachi

Honest Question: Do we have anyone but baines who can play left back??

Martina played a few minutes there in pre-season.

September 01, 2017, 11:23:36 AM
Reply #1136

Trowel

www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

September 01, 2017, 12:45:32 PM
Reply #1137

KoemansNumberTens

I don't think we are stronger than Jan. Keeper obviously better. Defence not so sure given colemans injury. Midfield? I'm not convinced any of rooney Sigurdsson or klassen are better than barkley (who probably won't play for us again) wide players not until Bolasie comes back and only then if sandro is a success. Then we've swapped lukaku for DLC. He's not the new Harry Kane. Done nowt to suggest he will be

We are definitely weaker now. At the very least until Coleman and Bolasie come back which could be months away

September 01, 2017, 01:05:29 PM
Reply #1138

van der Meyde

It doesn't even matter if we're objectively "stronger" really because we're competing with other clubs.

Our first 11 is now relatively weaker compared to Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool. Our squad is relatively worse than Chelsea and Tottenham. We *might* have closed the gap slightly on Arsenal, but even then with the Lacazette signing that's debatable.

How we are compared to the sides below us? Well, Leicester improved up front and at the back - and actually look to have replaced the one key player they lost. Southampton? Not sure?

There was a lot of hysteria from certain posters about our failings, who were met with "the transfer window isn't even closed yet; you don't know what's going on."

The summer started pretty well, there might not have been a clear, coherent strategy but we at least wrapping up deals. From early July onwards there have been few signs of intelligent thought behind our transfer dealings.

I believe Everton can crack the top 4/6 without massive investment. I just don't think we will do it with the current systems and personnel involved.

September 01, 2017, 02:43:06 PM
Reply #1139

Lincs Toffee

Martina played a few minutes there in pre-season.
Luke Garbutt...he's deputised for Baines before, no reason he couldn't step up and do it again short term, I watched him a few weeks ago and he looked decent enough to be back up.

Edit: Should have been a reply to @bluenuck
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:44:44 PM by Lincs Toffee »
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean