November 20, 2017, 09:38:31 PM

Author Topic: Deadline day thread Summer '17  (Read 18196 times)

September 01, 2017, 02:53:02 PM
Reply #1140

Gary1878

I know we are all upset (some more than others) with the ending to this window. However, the window has been a very good one for us.

1.   We got our business done early. We signed 2 players that I honestly donít think we would have if we didnít get our business done in good time. Pickford and Keane would have almost certainly gone for larger amounts and possibly to different clubs had we not stepped in when we did.

2.   GK sorted Ė this is now a position that is sorted for the next decade. He is without doubt going to be Englandís number 1 and looks an absolute steal.

3.   No position 10 sorted Ė The options we have now in this position are only going to increase the performance of the squad. Competition is healthy and although we donít have a recognised striker, I am sure this will get sorted in January (or at the worst the summer).

4.   We have spent money! It has taken a few years, but finally we are spending some decent dosh! Even though net spend is low, our planning was spot on, and we brought players in before funds were received for Rom.

5.    If you said pre-window, that we would have got in Rooney, Klaasen, Sigurdsson, Sandro, Keane, Pickford, and the only major out was Rom, then I would have snapped your hand off.

The biggest negatives of the window have to be Barkley rejecting a £35m move to Chelsea which will cost the club big time (unless he signs a new deal), Niasse still lingering around (another £7-£10m) after his deal collapsed, and the lack of a decent replacement for Rom.

99% of teams could always do with an upgrade to certain positions, and we are no different. We could do with a new CB, LB/CB cover, Winger and Striker, but this will come in time. Let Koeman and Walsh do their work over the next few months, and go and get the right people in January or next summer to move onwards and upwards.

September 01, 2017, 03:00:55 PM
Reply #1141

KoemansNumberTens

I know we are all upset (some more than others) with the ending to this window. However, the window has been a very good one for us.

1.   We got our business done early. We signed 2 players that I honestly donít think we would have if we didnít get our business done in good time. Pickford and Keane would have almost certainly gone for larger amounts and possibly to different clubs had we not stepped in when we did.

2.   GK sorted Ė this is now a position that is sorted for the next decade. He is without doubt going to be Englandís number 1 and looks an absolute steal.

3.   No position 10 sorted Ė The options we have now in this position are only going to increase the performance of the squad. Competition is healthy and although we donít have a recognised striker, I am sure this will get sorted in January (or at the worst the summer).

4.   We have spent money! It has taken a few years, but finally we are spending some decent dosh! Even though net spend is low, our planning was spot on, and we brought players in before funds were received for Rom.

5.    If you said pre-window, that we would have got in Rooney, Klaasen, Sigurdsson, Sandro, Keane, Pickford, and the only major out was Rom, then I would have snapped your hand off.

The biggest negatives of the window have to be Barkley rejecting a £35m move to Chelsea which will cost the club big time (unless he signs a new deal), Niasse still lingering around (another £7-£10m) after his deal collapsed, and the lack of a decent replacement for Rom.

99% of teams could always do with an upgrade to certain positions, and we are no different. We could do with a new CB, LB/CB cover, Winger and Striker, but this will come in time. Let Koeman and Walsh do their work over the next few months, and go and get the right people in January or next summer to move onwards and upwards.

I think you're very easily pleased.

September 01, 2017, 03:08:32 PM
Reply #1142

Gary1878

We smashed our transfer record at least twice in one window - honestly not sure what you are looking for? Aren't you pleased with the progress we have made? What, because we haven't signed a striker? Aren't you pleased with the way that the board and everyone has gone about their business?

Maybe you are looking for absolute perfection which doesn't exist in the real world. Would spending another £30m-40m on a panic buy like Raul Jiminez make you happier?

I am just a realist and look at the overall situation and compare it to the last 15 years of dross and zero spending.

September 01, 2017, 03:11:52 PM
Reply #1143

Cozzie

Im just dissapointed that we clearly knew for 12 whole months that Rom would be leaving and it appears we never had any sort of plan in place.

We where never going to get a like for like replacement but we clearly had nothing lined up in terms of at least some one proven or with pedigree.

My only thought is that Koeman has seen enough in DCL to suggest he is good enough and put faith in Sandro proving good enough, but then why would he sound off about wanting another forward in?

The system he plays needs a target man and we dont have one, he is gonna feel pretty aggrieved when he gets back I reckon.

Good window early on but really had to cap it by sorting the striker situation out.

Lack of pace too which I hope this Croation lad solves.

September 01, 2017, 03:13:28 PM
Reply #1144

Macca77

Look, we all know that not signing a striker might come back and bite on the arse, but you can't deny that it's been a pretty positive window, we've strengthened in most areas and now have a stronger squad, will be even stronger once Coleman and Bolasie are fit

Its not all doom and gloom

September 01, 2017, 03:14:43 PM
Reply #1145

Escla

NSNO Subscriber

It could be said that you are very easily disappointed.

September 01, 2017, 03:22:13 PM
Reply #1146

Tofifee

We did sign a striker....Sandro! We were all pulling the plum off ourselves earlier in the summer when we got him, now after 3 games 2 of which he was injured for, we are all fit to jump off the liver bird! We also got Rooney and we have DCL. DCL has massive potential and needs his go, so here is his chance. We also bought the hughest scoring MF'r in the country.
Will ye all relax please! We did very well this window, probably our best ever window.

RELAX FFS!
Would you prefer we bought Shane Long and Solomon Rondon just for the sake of it

September 01, 2017, 03:24:07 PM
Reply #1147

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
We did sign a striker....Sandro! We were all pulling the plum off ourselves earlier in the summer when we got him, now after 3 games 2 of which he was injured for, we are all fit to jump off the liver bird! We also got Rooney and we have DCL. DCL has massive potential and needs his go, so here is his chance. We also bought the hughest scoring MF'r in the country.
Will ye all relax please! We did very well this window, probably our best ever window.

RELAX FFS!
Would you prefer we bought Shane Long and Solomon Rondon just for the sake of it

Great post !

September 01, 2017, 03:25:02 PM
Reply #1148

Macca77

RELAX FFS!

Sandro's shit though, same as Klaassen, only played a few games and that's what quite a few Everton fans already think

September 01, 2017, 03:35:32 PM
Reply #1149

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Sandro's shit though, same as Klaassen, only played a few games and that's what quite a few Everton fans already think

You're right but those same "fans" think Pickford, Keane, Schneiderlin and Rooney are shit so I guess we're o.k. then.

September 01, 2017, 04:01:05 PM
Reply #1150

charlatan

September 01, 2017, 04:07:50 PM
Reply #1151

SANA_DR0

shame this thread didnt get to page 103.
Costa would have signed then.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

September 01, 2017, 04:07:50 PM
Reply #1152

Robioto

If you look at the transfers in the window on an indivdual basis we have done great business.

If you look at it as a whole we've done poorly by failing to replace Lukaku with anyone (not even with a donkey) and now having to play twice a week for 4 months with one senior left back. These 2 failures are not far short of disaster really, it makes it near on impossible for us to progress on from last season.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:08:22 PM by Robioto »

September 01, 2017, 04:22:50 PM
Reply #1153

Rhys

RELAX FFS!

It isnt getting at Sandro, we all should understand he is 21 new into the country and had a couple of injuries which have stopped him from getting any fitness or rhythm.

But if you'd said in May/June to people we will replace Lukaku with Sandro and giving DCL a go people wouldnt have been happy with that. Everyone should still be happy with Sandro because at 5m it has the potential to be a really good deal but he will need time to adapt, settle and for us to see what he is capable of.

It's more that his touch hasnt been brilliant, he isnt a big presence and we havnt seen anything yet to suggest he can play the lone striker role for us and would find it easier to settle in and get involved in the game playing off a front line forward.

But ultimately if we are trying to try and get into the top 4 we have Rooney, DCL and Sandro as forwards to try and compete against people like Arsenal (ignoring their current meltdown) who can choose from Giroud, Lacazette, Sanchez, Welbeck and Walcott in the forward roles as an example. All the teams above us have proven they can score a lot of goals and the amount of goals they need to finish in the top 4.

Last year we got 62 league goals and that was with a striker who got 25 league goals. Towards the end of the season I said a few times I was ok with Rom going and thought we could score more goals by selling him and replacing him with someone who wouldnt score the same level of goals but would be a good focal point and help us be more consistent in our play by getting other players more chances, by allowing people like Klaassen to get in the box more often. When making that statement it was under the assumption we would bring in that kind of forward in addition to the types of players we have, without that player I just find it difficult to see how over 38 games we will score enough goals and ultimately win enough games especially away from home to try and overtake 1 or 2 of the teams above us let alone 3 that would be needed to try and finish in the top 4.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:24:02 PM by Rhys »

September 01, 2017, 04:24:10 PM
Reply #1154

Tofifee

If you look at the transfers in the window on an indivdual basis we have done great business.

If you look at it as a whole we've done poorly by failing to replace Lukaku with anyone (not even with a donkey) and now haveing to play twice a wekk for 4 months with one senior left back. These 2 failures are not far short of disaster really, it makes it near on impossible for us to progress on from last season.

SANDRO IS A F*KING STRIKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only mistake Mosh made with Sandro was signing him too early, if we had left it till yesterday to buy him you will be in raptures!!

Jebus Cwisthe!