August 20, 2019, 08:27:01 AM

Author Topic: Deadline day thread Summer '17  (Read 41363 times)

September 01, 2017, 05:05:06 AM
Reply #15

KoemansNumberTens

Agree but if we had got a decent forward it would have given us more of a hope of doing more. But aside from that it would have helped us get closer to these teams than we likely will which would have given us a better platform when going after people next summer.

If we were there or thereabouts its an easier conversation with players. If we are 7th no way near them it still looks to the next level players that we are long way from competing with these teams.

Yeah I agree with you. Wanted some exciting attackers to get us closer and play nice attacking football. We've lost a bit of hope, a bit of ground but in reality we are just treading water and we always seem to do. Miles away from the good teams and always near the top of the rest

I think that's football now for 99% of teams. Never compete. Least we are near the top of the dull lot

September 01, 2017, 05:10:43 AM
Reply #16

KoemansNumberTens

This is probably Barkley's way of getting back at Koeman and the club for making his a scapegoat last season. He's turned around and told the club fuck you. I'm going to screw you out of money and move on a free.

When was he a scapegoat? Got slated for his performance at Sunderland when he was dreadful. Does that count if it's true?

September 01, 2017, 05:23:11 AM
Reply #17

KoemansNumberTens

I have zero qualms about watching grim football.

I'd offer my left bollocks for 35 drab, miserable 1-0 wins in the league right now.

Fuck pretty. Fuck being fancy and having the media purring about us and "neutrals" loving us. Fuck them all.

Roll our sleeves up. Have people hate watching us, dread playing us and hate getting ground down and beaten by 1 goal even more.

I'll take boring and grim all fucking day long if we are picking up points. And I expect this team to be able to pick up 3-6 points off 13 teams in this league

I don't but grim is normally functional. We won't be grim like Bolton were aggressive long ball play to your strengths grim. We'll be grim in terms of not having a functioning attack. We'll struggle week in and week out because we simply won't create enough chances not to. We'll never be too comfortable

September 01, 2017, 05:30:11 AM
Reply #18

KoemansNumberTens

3 or 4 shots a game so far, isn't it?

Need to start gelling and creating many more chances than that.

It could happen, but there are a few variables that are against us, like lots of new players to settle in, lots of new players to get used to each other, not much width or pace, and no target man which is what the manager craved.

6 on target in 3 league games apparently

September 01, 2017, 05:32:37 AM
Reply #19

KoemansNumberTens

I think if most people are honest with themselves, there wasn't really an available striker that we could have got. No one was really into Llorente until Chelsea supposedly got interested. They and spurs are better than us.

There's players who have moved who we could have signed who would have improved our squad. Maybe at the time they moved we thought we could do better but we pay Walsh and koeman a lot of money to know who is and who isn't available to us.

September 01, 2017, 05:35:48 AM
Reply #20

KoemansNumberTens

Actually wouldn't mind Valencia back right now

September 01, 2017, 05:43:12 AM
Reply #21

KoemansNumberTens

I'm not gonna say I told you so
But I've said all along Moshiri is a fraud, he's just said himself it's sell to buy
Another false dawn
Fuck Moshiri & fuck Bill Kenwright too & if you wanna be down with Moshiri then fuck you too.
 (That last bit was for any Tupac fans out there and not an actual insult to peeps on here)

🙄

September 01, 2017, 05:47:11 AM
Reply #22

KoemansNumberTens

Well I can't think of any. Dzeko would have been good or a Costa loan (ready after 3-4 weeks after signing). The fact that someone like Benteke was somehow elevated to potential hero status spoke volumes to me.

Given where we are now I'd have Abraham, iheanacho and chicharito. Not suggesting any were ideal but I'd take them all tonight no questions

September 01, 2017, 05:52:45 AM
Reply #23

KoemansNumberTens

OK well I wouldn't. All opinions though.

You wouldn't take them over the nothing we got?

September 01, 2017, 12:45:32 PM
Reply #24

KoemansNumberTens

I don't think we are stronger than Jan. Keeper obviously better. Defence not so sure given colemans injury. Midfield? I'm not convinced any of rooney Sigurdsson or klassen are better than barkley (who probably won't play for us again) wide players not until Bolasie comes back and only then if sandro is a success. Then we've swapped lukaku for DLC. He's not the new Harry Kane. Done nowt to suggest he will be

We are definitely weaker now. At the very least until Coleman and Bolasie come back which could be months away

September 01, 2017, 03:00:55 PM
Reply #25

KoemansNumberTens

I know we are all upset (some more than others) with the ending to this window. However, the window has been a very good one for us.

1.   We got our business done early. We signed 2 players that I honestly donít think we would have if we didnít get our business done in good time. Pickford and Keane would have almost certainly gone for larger amounts and possibly to different clubs had we not stepped in when we did.

2.   GK sorted Ė this is now a position that is sorted for the next decade. He is without doubt going to be Englandís number 1 and looks an absolute steal.

3.   No position 10 sorted Ė The options we have now in this position are only going to increase the performance of the squad. Competition is healthy and although we donít have a recognised striker, I am sure this will get sorted in January (or at the worst the summer).

4.   We have spent money! It has taken a few years, but finally we are spending some decent dosh! Even though net spend is low, our planning was spot on, and we brought players in before funds were received for Rom.

5.    If you said pre-window, that we would have got in Rooney, Klaasen, Sigurdsson, Sandro, Keane, Pickford, and the only major out was Rom, then I would have snapped your hand off.

The biggest negatives of the window have to be Barkley rejecting a £35m move to Chelsea which will cost the club big time (unless he signs a new deal), Niasse still lingering around (another £7-£10m) after his deal collapsed, and the lack of a decent replacement for Rom.

99% of teams could always do with an upgrade to certain positions, and we are no different. We could do with a new CB, LB/CB cover, Winger and Striker, but this will come in time. Let Koeman and Walsh do their work over the next few months, and go and get the right people in January or next summer to move onwards and upwards.

I think you're very easily pleased.

September 01, 2017, 04:36:05 PM
Reply #26

KoemansNumberTens

We smashed our transfer record at least twice in one window - honestly not sure what you are looking for? Aren't you pleased with the progress we have made? What, because we haven't signed a striker? Aren't you pleased with the way that the board and everyone has gone about their business?

Maybe you are looking for absolute perfection which doesn't exist in the real world. Would spending another £30m-40m on a panic buy like Raul Jiminez make you happier?

I am just a realist and look at the overall situation and compare it to the last 15 years of dross and zero spending.

Firstly still trying and failing to do business as the window closes is not doing your business early

Secondly perfection is what PSG did is perfection. Expecting a reasonable replacement for the striker we sold for 90m isn't. Expecting some decent pace and width to be added isn't. Expecting us not to sign 3 number 10s all of which are worse than the number 10 we already had isn't.

Individually you can make an argument for all our signings being decent (though Sigurdssons price is ridiculous) as a group though?? Massive holes in our squad and 3 of a similar type signed. I think we fell well short of perfection

September 01, 2017, 05:04:48 PM
Reply #27

KoemansNumberTens

Are you drunk ???

Sadly not. Trying to multi task driving a forklift with being on here. Doing both poorly