October 18, 2017, 09:38:46 PM

Author Topic: Deadline day thread Summer '17  (Read 15920 times)

September 01, 2017, 04:26:06 PM
Reply #1155

Lxxx

Not a Koeman fan no. He is a Moyes dressed up in Ancelotti clothes. He is a defensive Frank De Boer.

It's not a bad description that Con. To be fair we are still waiting to see what preferred style and formation we're going to be playing and he's been here over a year. He does spit his dummy out publically too much for me, for a manager who hasn't really achieved much in the game, regardless of his playing career.

September 01, 2017, 04:36:05 PM
Reply #1156

KoemansNumberTens

We smashed our transfer record at least twice in one window - honestly not sure what you are looking for? Aren't you pleased with the progress we have made? What, because we haven't signed a striker? Aren't you pleased with the way that the board and everyone has gone about their business?

Maybe you are looking for absolute perfection which doesn't exist in the real world. Would spending another 30m-40m on a panic buy like Raul Jiminez make you happier?

I am just a realist and look at the overall situation and compare it to the last 15 years of dross and zero spending.

Firstly still trying and failing to do business as the window closes is not doing your business early

Secondly perfection is what PSG did is perfection. Expecting a reasonable replacement for the striker we sold for 90m isn't. Expecting some decent pace and width to be added isn't. Expecting us not to sign 3 number 10s all of which are worse than the number 10 we already had isn't.

Individually you can make an argument for all our signings being decent (though Sigurdssons price is ridiculous) as a group though?? Massive holes in our squad and 3 of a similar type signed. I think we fell well short of perfection

September 01, 2017, 04:47:26 PM
Reply #1157

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber

Individually you can make an argument for all our signings being decent (though Sigurdssons price is ridiculous)

Secondly perfection is what PSG did is perfection.
  Are you drunk ???

September 01, 2017, 05:04:48 PM
Reply #1158

KoemansNumberTens

Are you drunk ???

Sadly not. Trying to multi task driving a forklift with being on here. Doing both poorly

September 01, 2017, 05:07:34 PM
Reply #1159

Robioto

SANDRO IS A F*KING STRIKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only mistake Mosh made with Sandro was signing him too early, if we had left it till yesterday to buy him you will be in raptures!!

Jebus Cwisthe!

No need for that tone, you can discuss without coming across a complete dick.

Sandro from what I've seen of him is not an out and out striker, he comes deep to get the ball, he is a forward so will play across the front line. He is not someone who is going to stay in the box, there were a number of occasions in preseason where crosses were out into the box and he was standing on the edge of the area and not attacking the ball in the 6 yard box like a true cetnre forward does.

Also, if you look at his goals and chances from last season with Malaga, most were from long range or deep and were not typical centre forward goals, not many of goals were from getting in behind the defence like a true centre forward.

We did not replace Lukaku with a centre forward whos natural position is to play off the last man and to get in the box. Koeman has said we have needed this himself on numerous occasions this window and we haven't got it.

I'm sure we'll get by as we still have a very good squad, I'm also not saying that Sandro can't play there, he can and will probably get a decent amount of goals, but he obviously wasn't the intended solution.

But it is blatently clear that from Koeman's and the clubs point of view we have completely failed to get the a striker in that can play in the system that Koeman has built for over the summer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:09:30 PM by Robioto »

September 01, 2017, 05:10:12 PM
Reply #1160

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Surely all of the anger and hatred should be directed to the true culprit of our failure to get a striker - Giroud's Mrs
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 01, 2017, 05:16:28 PM
Reply #1161

Robioto

Bored at work so I've done the below (don't take too much notice of the order), if you look at it like that we have quite a lot of depth and quality apart from the obvious area. The only other left back I can see on the books is Matt Foulds, he might be rubbing his hands together at the prospect of some game time, haven't a clue how good he is though.

September 01, 2017, 05:34:41 PM
Reply #1162

Lxxx

In a season of upwards towards 60 games to go into it with one left back is pretty poor. Especially when that left back is 32 and has a history of ankle problems which you'd ideally want to protect him from.

September 01, 2017, 05:34:56 PM
Reply #1163

Tofifee

No need for that tone, you can discuss without coming across a complete dick.

Sandro from what I've seen of him is not an out and out striker, he comes deep to get the ball, he is a forward so will play across the front line. He is not someone who is going to stay in the box, there were a number of occasions in preseason where crosses were out into the box and he was standing on the edge of the area and not attacking the ball in the 6 yard box like a true cetnre forward does.

Also, if you look at his goals and chances from last season with Malaga, most were from long range or deep and were not typical centre forward goals, not many of goals were from getting in behind the defence like a true centre forward.

We did not replace Lukaku with a centre forward whos natural position is to play off the last man and to get in the box. Koeman has said we have needed this himself on numerous occasions this window and we haven't got it.

I'm sure we'll get by as we still have a very good squad, I'm also not saying that Sandro can't play there, he can and will probably get a decent amount of goals, but he obviously wasn't the intended solution.

But it is blatently clear that from Koeman's and the clubs point of view we have completely failed to get the a striker in that can play in the system that Koeman has built for over the summer.

Apologies for the tone mate, if its any consolation, it wasn't personal to you but to the whole "transfer disaster" brigade!

September 01, 2017, 05:35:26 PM
Reply #1164

toffee_scot

Disappointing end to the transfer window which leaves us very short at left back and we were unable to bring in a target man striker who could have got a double figure tally of goals. If we had got those two areas covered plus offloaded Niasse and Barkley then I think it would have been an ideal transfer window.

On the plus side, I think our defence looks stronger with Keane and Pickford and we do have a wealth of attacking players that we can utilise. Hopefully Henry Onyekuru has a good loan spell at Anderlecht as he could take some of the goalscoring burden for us next season.

September 01, 2017, 06:06:31 PM
Reply #1165

spicerman

Bored at work so I've done the below (don't take too much notice of the order), if you look at it like that we have quite a lot of depth and quality apart from the obvious area. The only other left back I can see on the books is Matt Foulds, he might be rubbing his hands together at the prospect of some game time, haven't a clue how good he is though.

Luke Garbutt?
Twitter: @spicerman71
Xbox one: spicerman

September 01, 2017, 06:20:55 PM
Reply #1166

Lxxx

Luke Garbutt?

Martina played out there pre season. Didn't do too bad, although you wouldn't want him there too often.

September 01, 2017, 06:54:52 PM
Reply #1167

Waltzer

Martina played out there pre season. Didn't do too bad, although you wouldn't want him there too often.

Im struggling to see why we let Barry go as he could ad has played as CB and leftback, granted he isnt the quickest but Koeman must've been given assurance that we had someone for him to authorise this mopve?

September 01, 2017, 06:56:14 PM
Reply #1168

Tofifee

Maybe Oumar might come good yet......genuinely.....
get him involved, we are paying him ffs, get him involved, earn his money and you never know.
Cant hurt to try like! Whats the point in letting him rot

As for Ross.....
I'd nearly terminate his contract now so we dont have to pay him for a few months
We will get nothing for him now anyway.
Let him sign for Tottenham and get blisters on his hole and end up and Newcastle this time next year getting fat and bald

September 01, 2017, 06:58:29 PM
Reply #1169

Lxxx

Im struggling to see why we let Barry go as he could ad has played as CB and leftback, granted he isnt the quickest but Koeman must've been given assurance that we had someone for him to authorise this mopve?

You wouldn't really want Gareth Barry at left back though, he'd be skinned by my nan let alone a professional athlete.