November 19, 2017, 01:37:21 AM

Author Topic: [News]Moshiri: We will look to add more in January  (Read 6996 times)

September 01, 2017, 08:25:19 PM
Reply #75

Macca77

Thus far we've offered a hug from Bally and a bit of ram-style finger blasting.

Other NSNO welcome commitee suggestion are encouraged.

She's still undecided.

How about a spit roast followed by a nice golden shower?

deCoubertin

September 01, 2017, 08:28:06 PM
Reply #76

SANA_DR0

Mate, everyone here will understand your frustration. Most of us feel a level of it too. But in all honesty, yes, we should have replaced Lukaku, or rather added to the strikers we already have with a more number 9 type striker, but we have actually had a very good window. Imagine, if last night, at 10:30 Uncle Jim would have said, "and news just in from Merseyside... Everton have just signed Pickford, Keane, Klaassen, Sigurdsson and Rooney and Vlasic for 140 million odd to add to several excellent young players already added to the squad." But because nothing major happened late, it seems like a damp squib. But there is no denying, we have had an excellent window - shite last day, but an excellent window. We have four months now to get a target striker (assuming we dont do REALLY well with what we have in the next few months!), and if we dont, then I will be behind you moaning at Moshiri, but come on - be a bit more realistic and truthful with facts and less so fucking consistently depressing :)

i would have wondered why we had 4 if not 5 number 10's (4 bought this window) i would wonder where they would play. i would wonder where the pace would come from, as number tens usually play balls through to others, i would wonder if DCL could be play all season with out getting burnt out, then id wonder if we could play Keane as a number 9, as we have no one else to hold the ball up if DCL gets injured.

dont get me wrong. i love we have Sandro,Klaassan,Rooney,Siggy but the new croatian plus Barkley are all basically the same type of player, how can we even fit them into a system with no one running from deep, and if the central striker is always on the right wing?, Rooney and Sandro both run back into midfield looking for the ball,, we wont be able to stretch teams or play through them, thus nullifying having 3 number 10's on the pitch at the same time...

The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

September 01, 2017, 08:32:00 PM
Reply #77

mikey_blue

People are acting like we're the only team In the premiership without a complete squad.

September 01, 2017, 08:37:38 PM
Reply #78

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
People are acting like we're the only team In the premiership without a complete squad.

Yes but most of them have a type of player who is seemingly key to their manager / coach's preferred tactical system.

We have what looks like a promising set of forwards / attacking midfielders but to get the best out of them we need a proper central striker.

September 01, 2017, 08:42:37 PM
Reply #79

MmmBlueRamirez

Yes but most of them have a type of player who is seemingly key to their manager / coach's preferred tactical system.

We have what looks like a promising set of forwards / attacking midfielders but to get the best out of them we need a proper central striker.

The lynchpin.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 01, 2017, 08:44:50 PM
Reply #80

Lxxx

Everton is the only team we're arsed about though. I couldn't give a shit if Palace haven't got a back up to Benteke for example, I'm only bothered about what we've got, or haven't, as the case may be.

September 01, 2017, 08:47:28 PM
Reply #81

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

...we have Sandro,Klaassan,Rooney,Siggy but the new croatian plus Barkley are all basically the same type of player, how can we even fit them into a system with no one running from deep, and if the central striker is always on the right wing?, Rooney and Sandro both run back into midfield looking for the ball,, we wont be able to stretch teams or play through them, thus nullifying having 3 number 10's on the pitch at the same time...

Vlasic is more of a versatile winger.
DCL is still a bit of an unknown, but his size will make him more of a number 9 in the long run I reckon.
Rooney drifts from 9, 8, 10
Klaassen, again, we dont really know much of, but for Ajax yes, he could be considered a number 10, but again floats about a bit, but can do a job in mid too.
Sigurdsson I would say is a number 10, that has played central, but also wider (generally mid to left to front).

A good player is a good player, and we will often play most of them together and we should. I hate to use the comparison, but Liverpool play with a million midfielders and it works very well for them, Barcelona, the Spain team played for a year with very rarely an out and out striker, but with often 5 or 6 mids. Its not what you pigeon hole a player to be, but how good the player is, and if playing them adds to the quality of the "team".

Vlasic, Bolasi, Kev, Lennon, Baines and Coleman bombing on, DCL played wide - we do have a bit of width/pace, our problem is, we very rarely exploit it, as its obviously drilled into the team to stay tight and progress through mid, which says more about our managers tactical approach than our team.

Im totally behind Ronald, and will give him time, but if you were to put our current squad in the hands of a Sir Alex, it would be a TOTALLY different playstyle, with the same players, no doubt, in a four four two, with our back four, schnieds OR gana in the middle as a stopper - Rooney or Sigurdsson in the Scholes hole, and two of DCL, Rooney up top, with proper chalky boot width coming from a Bolasi/Vlasic/Sandro wide left, and Kev/Bolasi/Lennon wide right, overlapping with our full backs - a la Baines/Pienaar (on both sides) 2 out and out strikers, one linker, one def mid and a solid 4 that NEVER changes in front of a fucking excellent keeper.

Pickford

Coleman ---------- Keane ---------- Jags ---------- Baines

Gana or Schneiderlin
Sandro -------------------------------------------------- Vlasic
Sigurdsson or MS

Rooney or GS ----------
------------------ DCL or WR

With the "wide mids" being wingers rather than "midfielders" and the "forwards" being "strikers" rather than all ACMs running around like headless chickens.

With the same players, we will no doubt be something like:

Pickford

Coleman ---------- Keane ---------- Jags ---------- Baines

Gana ------ Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson
Vlasic or Sandro --- DCL --- Rooney

...and no doubt play are more centric, less stretching game. I think we need to mix it up a bit.

However, Koeman knows his stuff, and if it all comes off, Im sure we will do well, but he has to be backed up by our chairman, and all this fannying around within the club has top stop.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:56:59 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

September 01, 2017, 08:50:17 PM
Reply #82

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Between Rooney, Barkley, and mishandling of the window it's doesn't feel like we're getting great forward momentum going into this season. It's shame, feels like we fumbled the opportunity and the worst thing is I'm not sure where the disfunction is coming from.

The window in particular and the often "safe" or known signings make me really wonder about the working relationship between Koeman and Walsh.

This Vlasic signing in particular is curious to me. Did it purely come about from us playing Split? You'd assume so at this point. Koeman saw him and liked him and we got him in quickly. You'd have to imagine Walsh would've given plenty of options for that position though if that was a need we wanted to fill. Along with Rooney, Klaasen, Keane and Pickford all players Koeman has seen with enough regularity. Is this why we were so focused on Giroud? Koeman knew him and rated him but didn't trust other names from the continent that Walsh was offering up perhaps?

Full of conjecture that last point, but it just seems a tad odd to me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:54:36 PM by blueToffee »

September 01, 2017, 08:50:27 PM
Reply #83

Evertonian in NC

You are now seeing why some of us said we should move heaven and earth to keep Romelu for as long as we possibly could (and I think we would have squeezed out one more year if at all feasible).  The people who said it would be no big deal replacing him were always fucking nuttier than a shithouse rat.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 01, 2017, 08:51:18 PM
Reply #84

Marky Mark and the funky

Makes me laugh people saying well a few years ago we signed Pistone or Kroldrup
Guess what that was before the TV money exploded so it's a pointless statement
How much does a premier league club get now from the broadcasters?

I'm shocked that people are happy to accept the crap window we've just had

Lukaku was known to be leaving a long time ago, not getting a replacement is pathetic

That knob doing that interview hasn't helped & as for getting a striker in January! Guess what.... the season may already be dead by then

You've got a point whinging now, and I hold my hands up as well, it has proved correct we failed to end the window exactly where we wanted.

Better off to focus on some of the positives now, there is no choice but to accept the outcome and move on :thumbsup:

Agreed the interview was a bit too much spin for my liking but I suppose he had the courage to go on TV and face the music!

September 01, 2017, 08:57:49 PM
Reply #85

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Makes me laugh people saying well a few years ago we signed Pistone or Kroldrup
Guess what that was before the TV money exploded so it's a pointless statement
How much does a premier league club get now from the broadcasters?
It's all releative. We were getting many, many millions of pounds back then as well.

I'm shocked that people are happy to accept the crap window we've just had
It wasn't a crap window by any stretch of the imagination. But it does have to go down as an opportunity missed (at best) or a failure (at worst). Failure =/= crap though

Lukaku was known to be leaving a long time ago, not getting a replacement is pathetic
Yes. Even if there is an argument that we didn't know for certain till the last minute - he still left at the start of the window so it is massively questionable as to why there was no replacement at all.

That knob doing that interview hasn't helped & as for getting a striker in January! Guess what.... the season may already be dead by then
Depends what you mean by dead. If you mean our chances of winning the league are over then they probably will be. But we'll still be hoping for cup results to free up league places into Europe.
Of a bigger concern for January is how much harder it is to buy good/important players. If we haven't been able to do that for 3 windows on the trot i'm not confident we will do it in the 4th.

September 01, 2017, 09:05:25 PM
Reply #86

Rodenplav64

Nice tracking of a loanee Rodenplav64 cheers, any more details on where he's been playing etc?
3 starts and 1 sub , 3 upfront and 1 on the left in a 3 up top . Obviously he was one for the future and hopefully Sandro gets sharper with games . Rooney is good for 10-15 and Sigurdsson maybe 10 but what he bags might be at the expense of Rooney as Rooney drops deeper the older he gets and Sigs goals tend to come from deep or dead balls . Lewandowski in a bank breaker .

September 01, 2017, 09:17:22 PM
Reply #87

kramer0

I don't think the blame should be placed entirely on Walsh, although he still deserves plenty of it. Koeman likes to talk about how he doesn't get involved in transfers but what he means is that he doesn't get involved in negotiations. It's been confirmed that both he and Walsh have to agree on targets and we've heard Koeman say, on multiple occasions, that he wants experienced players (age 27+) who are productive in terms of goals and assists (for attackers, at least). My point being that, if Koeman says he wants a target man, I don't think Walsh has free reign to sign any target man that he and his scouting team like - he has to get Koeman to agree and Koeman has very specific standards. It's hard to find affordable/attainable forwards, and undervalued players in general, when the manager's criteria is based on past levels of performance.

Our summer signings in attack:

Klaassen - Scored 10+ goals and had nearly 10 assists the past two seasons. Ajax captain despite relative youth.
Sandro - Scored 14 goals last season but there was at least one report that Koeman still needed convincing. Young.
Onyekuru - Joint top scorer in Belgium. Young, but was never going to play here this season (work permit).
Rooney - Tons of goals and assists over a long career, even if he didn't get many last season.
Sigurdsson - The poster child for Koeman's criteria.
Vlasic - Young, not a great goalscoring record. Is it a coincidence that we only signed him after playing against him twice?

We paid for plenty of past productivity and it may well work out but I think our attacking recruitment has been hamstrung by focusing on players who are experienced and "proven." That's not a very big market to shop in, and it's not a great market for us because most of the players who fit the criteria are already at bigger clubs or are angling for moves to bigger clubs. There's certainly value to be gained from looking at proven players who want out of a big club for more playing time - Mata last summer, Giroud this summer - but, as we've seen, these deals aren't so straightforward and we've missed out on adding crucial players the past two summers because we spent too much time chasing sexy names.

I don't know why we're being so narrow-minded about what attacking players we sign but, considering that Walsh played a big role in bringing relative unknowns like Mahrez, Knockaert, Vardy, and Kramaric (who has been great since moving to Hoffenheim) to Leicester, I'm skeptical that it's his influence. Obviously, I can only guess as to what's happening in the backroom and this is all speculation, but it feels like Koeman is hampering our recruitment by being picky about new players, especially attackers. Walsh needs to take some risks, especially in the forward areas where unearthing a gem can pay massive dividends, and if Koeman won't sign off on these types of players, Walsh needs to figure out a way to convince him.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:37:10 PM by kramer0 »

September 01, 2017, 09:31:30 PM
Reply #88

Evertonian in NC

I don't think the blame should be placed entirely on Walsh, although he still deserves plenty of it. Koeman likes to talk about how he doesn't get involved in transfers but what he means is that he doesn't get involved in negotiations. It's been confirmed that both he and Walsh have to agree on targets and we've heard Koeman say, on multiple occasions, that he wants experienced players (age 27+) who are productive in terms of goals and assists (for attackers, at least). My point being that, if Koeman says he wants a target man, I don't think Walsh has free reign to sign any target man that he and his scouting team like - he has to get Koeman to agree and Koeman has very specific standards. It's hard to find affordable/attainable forwards, and undervalued players in general, when the manager's criteria is partly based on past levels of performance.

Our summer signings in attack:

Klaassen - Scored 10+ goals and had nearly 10 assists the past two seasons. Ajax captain despite relative youth.
Sandro - Scored 14 goals last season but there was at least one report that Koeman still needed convincing. Young.
Onyekuru - Joint top scorer in Belgium. Young, but was never going to play here this season (work permit).
Rooney - Tons of goals and assists over a long career, even if he didn't get many last season.
Sigurdsson - The poster child for Koeman's criteria.
Vlasic - Young, not a great goalscoring record. Is it a coincidence that we signed him after playing against him twice?

We paid for plenty of past productivity and it may well work out but I think our attacking recruitment has been hamstrung by focusing on players who are experienced and "proven." That's not a very big market to shop in, and it's not a great market for us because most of the players who fit the criteria are already at bigger clubs or are angling for moves to bigger clubs. There's certainly value to be gained from looking at proven players who want out of a big club for more playing time - Mata last summer, Giroud this summer - but, as we've seen, these deals aren't so straightforward and we've missed out on adding crucial players the past two summers because we spent too much time chasing sexy names.

I don't know why we're being so narrow-minded about what attacking players we sign but, considering that Walsh played a big role in bringing relative unknowns like Mahrez, Knockaert, Vardy, and Kramaric (who has been great since moving to Hoffenheim) to Leicester, I'm skeptical that it's his influence. Obviously, I can only guess as to what's happening in the backroom and this is all speculation, but it often feels like Koeman is hampering our recruitment by being picky about new players, especially attackers. Walsh needs to take some risks, especially in the forward areas where unearthing a gem can pay massive dividends, and if Koeman won't sign off on these types of players, Walsh needs to figure out a way to convince him.

Forget about worries re Koeman leaving, I worry that Walsh will get fed up with Koeman and leave.  That would be truly devastating.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 01, 2017, 09:34:47 PM
Reply #89

Toddacelli

Im totally behind Ronald, and will give him time, but if you were to put our current squad in the hands of a Sir Alex, it would be a TOTALLY different playstyle, with the same players, no doubt, in a four four two, with our back four, schnieds OR gana in the middle as a stopper - Rooney or Sigurdsson in the Scholes hole, and two of DCL, Rooney up top, with proper chalky boot width coming from a Bolasi/Vlasic/Sandro wide left, and Kev/Bolasi/Lennon wide right, overlapping with our full backs - a la Baines/Pienaar (on both sides) 2 out and out strikers, one linker, one def mid and a solid 4 that NEVER changes in front of a fucking excellent keeper.

"proper chalky boot width" has made my day.

I will use this phrase till the day I die.

Thank you sir.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates