October 23, 2017, 11:29:23 AM

Author Topic: [News]Moshiri: We will look to add more in January  (Read 5856 times)

September 01, 2017, 09:45:48 PM
Reply #90

School of Science

It's not just Koeman and Walsh who seem to have their wires crossed. I am starting to think there are divisions between Moshiri and Koeman and there is only going to be one winner there.

Admittedly this is only going off that ridiculous interview Moshiri gave last night, Moshiri stated that they had had a change of mind over getting in another striker and look in the January window if that had to change again.

That was in stark contradiction to Koeman stating that we need another forward and another centre half, instead we got another midfielder. The mention of Barkley, Moshiri added we were already overloaded in the number 10 position.
Me thinks all may not be right behind the scenes.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

deCoubertin

September 01, 2017, 09:59:23 PM
Reply #91

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
It's not just Koeman and Walsh who seem to have their wires crossed. I am starting to think there are divisions between Moshiri and Koeman and there is only going to be one winner there.

Admittedly this is only going off that ridiculous interview Moshiri gave last night, Moshiri stated that they had had a change of mind over getting in another striker and look in the January window if that had to change again.

That was in stark contradiction to Koeman stating that we need another forward and another centre half, instead we got another midfielder. The mention of Barkley, Moshiri added we were already overloaded in the number 10 position.

There are lots of odd little threads here in terms of what people say in public and indeed the actions we've taken in terms of recruitment of players.

Doesn't give the appearance of everyone pulling in the same direction.

September 01, 2017, 10:04:34 PM
Reply #92

Lxxx

I don't want the owner of my club talking on a sports channel phone in about 'Number 10's'. Of course it's his money and his club but he's an accountant by trade and nothing more than a glorified football fan. He employed an ex football legend to do the football stuff.

It's all a bit groundhog day again, I remember myself writing more or less the same thing this time last year.

September 01, 2017, 10:06:22 PM
Reply #93

Marky Mark and the funky

@eyesalwaysblue

We're going to need Face:Off 3 for Moshiri vs Koeman

September 01, 2017, 10:20:01 PM
Reply #94

Realist

People are acting like we're the only team In the premiership without a complete squad.

Are you arsed about anyone elses squad?

September 01, 2017, 10:25:03 PM
Reply #95

Ross

I could see the argument for having a good defence despite having Robles in it.

But we needed a top keeper as well.

It shouldn't be a case of either or and given that Pickford was signed months ago, clearly it wasn't because we were looking at keepers all summer.

The issue was not having a back up plan to Giroud.

I agree it shouldn't be an either or situation given the money we received for Lukaku and whats sloshing about in the league but it should be about priorities.

We needed a forward much more desperately than a goalkeeper and they should have moved heaven and earth to bring one in.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

September 01, 2017, 10:38:48 PM
Reply #96

kramer0

I'm not sure that's the case but I'd be alright if it was.

There's nothing particularly special about Koeman. He gets good returns from emphasizing fitness and defensive structure, which is great if you want to finish comfortably upper mid-table and occasionally scrap your way ahead one of the bigger clubs. He talks a lot about pressing but his strategy is to basically to have the front men chase the ball, which is the easiest "press" to play through. There's no plan for consistently progressing the ball from defense to attack and when we get into the final third, our main approach is to cross, which isn't all that great. He isn't much of a man manager either. His blunt style can be satisfying to us as supporters but I doubt it's long-term effectiveness w/r/t the players.

That all sounds pretty negative so I should say: he's a solid manager, likely to get us 7th or 8th place again, and we're in no real danger of slipping into the bottom half of the table. We could even scrap to 6th place if things go really well. But that's the ceiling and I don't think he's worth the wage we're paying him or the resources we're providing him. If you gave me the option to swap him with Tuchel or Favre or even Roger Schmidt, I'd do it right now with absolutely no hesitation.

I should also add that I'd be ecstatic to be totally wrong here. If he wins the Europa League or the FA Cup or drives us into 4th/5th place, I'll gladly take whatever ridicule is coming my way for posting this so early in the season.  :thumbsup:

September 01, 2017, 10:57:45 PM
Reply #97

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I agree it shouldn't be an either or situation given the money we received for Lukaku and whats sloshing about in the league but it should be about priorities.

We needed a forward much more desperately than a goalkeeper and they should have moved heaven and earth to bring one in.

I suppose that clear difference comes down to whether you think Robles is one of the worst keepers in the league.

Which I do ;)

September 01, 2017, 10:58:59 PM
Reply #98

mikey_blue

Are you arsed about anyone elses squad?

It's Football mate, I'm not that "Arsed" about any of it, just the same as it's not arsed about you.

I want Everton to do better and succeed, like everyone else in here,  but I'm not going fume it up in a forum and moan about how billionaires and footballers should be doing their job properly, then go back to my 9-5 job and continue to not do it properly.

September 01, 2017, 11:03:56 PM
Reply #99

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
@kramer0

Re the type of players Koeman wants, then I'd say it ties in with a requirement to move up from 11th and challenge, properly, for the top 4 within 3 years.

Mahrez, Vardy in particular didn't work out straight away so those types (or even relative ones) aren't really suitable for what we're trying to do.

Although players like Sandro, Klaassen, Vlasic, Keane, Pickford aren't the finished article by any means.

I do think that the striker criteria was really narrow though.

We basically wanted a big target man striker who'd get a decent amount of goals and also bring people into play.

The only way to guarantee that was to target someone who has consistently done it.

That is really narrow and explains why we waited on Giroud for so long.

September 01, 2017, 11:12:54 PM
Reply #100

Evertonian in NC

I like Koeman more than Kramer does, but I respect the fuck out of Kramer, and realize that means I am probably wrong.

There's never been any doubt that Koeman views us as a short-term stop, and even if he didn't, I would favour Walsh in any "he goes or I go" tug of war.  Walsh is the key to keeping us stable and forward-thinking as a club for the next 10+ years.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 01, 2017, 11:20:16 PM
Reply #101

kramer0

@kramer0

Re the type of players Koeman wants, then I'd say it ties in with a requirement to move up from 11th and challenge, properly, for the top 4 within 3 years.

Mahrez, Vardy in particular didn't work out straight away so those types (or even relative ones) aren't really suitable for what we're trying to do.

Although players like Sandro, Klaassen, Vlasic, Keane, Pickford aren't the finished article by any means.

I do think that the striker criteria was really narrow though.

We basically wanted a big target man striker who'd get a decent amount of goals and also bring people into play.

The only way to guarantee that was to target someone who has consistently done it.

That is really narrow and explains why we waited on Giroud for so long.

That's a fair way of looking at it. I still don't think we got enough upside in attack but it really is a matter of opinion given that it's so early and we don't have enough data on the likes of Sandro, Klaassen, etc.

I'll add that if our plan for this season required a specific type of player that isn't easy to find, we probably should have come up with a better plan. There are only a handful of clubs in the world that can shop in the "we need this exact guy" market and we aren't one of them. But I think you agree with me on that point.

And I have zero complaints about Keane and Pickford - they've been our two standout performers so far and they should only get better. Two perfect signings for where we are and where we want to be.

September 01, 2017, 11:20:55 PM
Reply #102

eyesalwaysblue

@eyesalwaysblue

We're going to need Face:Off 3 for Moshiri vs Koeman
It's getting more interesting than the actual football, the 3 year "project" may be shorter for someone.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 01, 2017, 11:33:12 PM
Reply #103

SANA_DR0

People are acting like we're the only team In the premiership without a complete squad.

as said we only care about everton, plus i want to see some sort of fluid play from out team, playing players who cant run in behind, or not playing to our strengths,. is just going to be dull and abysmal all seasonl, i want to enjoy watching everton play (even if we lose) i dont want us to play abysmally not creating any chances and to lose.

which is how our team has shaped up this season. (having 3 number tens,  no one stretching the pitch and looking likea pub team no knowing wtf they're supposed to do.)
Koeman is taking Everton places. Namely, the Championship.

September 01, 2017, 11:45:45 PM
Reply #104

Ross

I suppose that clear difference comes down to whether you think Robles is one of the worst keepers in the league.

Which I do ;)

Not what last season evidence suggests.

;)
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.