December 17, 2018, 06:29:58 AM

Author Topic: [News]Moshiri: We will look to add more in January  (Read 12276 times)

September 01, 2017, 02:09:04 PM
Read 12276 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
That wasn't the case though. There were far more important things to do, and we did them.

It's debatable between keeper and striker as to what the most important thing was.

All the other signings aren't invalidated but to not get a striker was a big miss.

September 01, 2017, 02:17:07 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Let's face it a striker was more important than a go a goalkeeper

Only if you under appreciate goalkeepers ;)

September 01, 2017, 07:27:07 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
But when you still got the same goalkeeper that had the 5th best clean sheet record in the league on the books but no longer have the second top scorer available to you it's pretty obvious where the priorities lay.

Or at least it should be.

I could see the argument for having a good defence despite having Robles in it.

But we needed a top keeper as well.

It shouldn't be a case of either or and given that Pickford was signed months ago, clearly it wasn't because we were looking at keepers all summer.

The issue was not having a back up plan to Giroud.

September 01, 2017, 08:37:38 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
People are acting like we're the only team In the premiership without a complete squad.

Yes but most of them have a type of player who is seemingly key to their manager / coach's preferred tactical system.

We have what looks like a promising set of forwards / attacking midfielders but to get the best out of them we need a proper central striker.

September 01, 2017, 10:57:45 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I agree it shouldn't be an either or situation given the money we received for Lukaku and whats sloshing about in the league but it should be about priorities.

We needed a forward much more desperately than a goalkeeper and they should have moved heaven and earth to bring one in.

I suppose that clear difference comes down to whether you think Robles is one of the worst keepers in the league.

Which I do ;)

September 01, 2017, 11:03:56 PM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
@kramer0

Re the type of players Koeman wants, then I'd say it ties in with a requirement to move up from 11th and challenge, properly, for the top 4 within 3 years.

Mahrez, Vardy in particular didn't work out straight away so those types (or even relative ones) aren't really suitable for what we're trying to do.

Although players like Sandro, Klaassen, Vlasic, Keane, Pickford aren't the finished article by any means.

I do think that the striker criteria was really narrow though.

We basically wanted a big target man striker who'd get a decent amount of goals and also bring people into play.

The only way to guarantee that was to target someone who has consistently done it.

That is really narrow and explains why we waited on Giroud for so long.

September 02, 2017, 06:56:26 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I share the Koeman skepticism long-term. I think he's a solid manager and a safe pair of hands, but I don't see him as a difference maker or the kind of manager to bring about significant over-achievement through tactical innovation or exceptional player development, which is what would be needed to trouble the Top 6 consistently. He was a reasonable choice for the time but we need a more progressive (and potentially risky) appointment next time.

I'm quite looking forward to getting into a more frequent coach / manager cycle.

I like Koeman, principally because I appreciate getting the basics right first and foremost.

I think he does try things tactically to lift us beyond the norm, they just don't work all the time... ;)

But yeah, until result bear out the safe money is on solid, if unspectacular, performances / seasons.

I think our signings have been good in terms of they should be fairly adaptable to most tactical approaches which should be beneficial in a changing cycle.

Re risky appointments I would hope that if we're still showing signs of promise, being close to top 6(4) etc that with the wages that we offer we should be able to attract someone who at least should be good, they might not be guaranteed to get us further than wherever Koeman leaves us but we shouldn't be risking Martinez levels of uselessness.

September 03, 2017, 04:14:24 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think I'm not arsed about koeman either. Don't get me wrong he did a good job last season. Sorted out all the basics that the last idiot didn't bother with. Got us organised, fit and solid and we finished as high as we possibly could. It wasn't spectacular but it was good

The impression I get going forwards though is that he's not overly entertaining and for me, I think he's creating the problems in the market by insisting on proven which for us means not good enough to move us forwards or just not realistic

I think he's ambitious in terms of where he ends up but not ambitious in terms of how his teams play or even where we finish. I think he'd happily take 3 7ths and then move on rather than take more risks in the market and risk a 10th trying for the champions league

Didn't really rate him when he arrived. Did well last season but I don't see much to suggest he can kick on. Maybe he's going to revolutionise football with his 10 10s and a keeper formation

To be fair re the signings, most this summer have been players who can improve.

E.g. if Keane really develops on the ball then that's a massive plus going forward.

There's only Rooney and Sigurdsson, this summer, out of the proper signings that don't have a potential upswing long term.

Most successful signings have some pedigree behind them.

I think for the "punt" successes you need a lot of luck.