December 18, 2017, 03:20:35 AM

Author Topic: Dominic Calvert-Lewin - Is he our Harry Kane?  (Read 3741 times)

September 01, 2017, 04:42:13 PM
Reply #30

Captain Sarcasm

Well, there's no doubting that the period up to January is going to be his big chance......like many things in life it's about taking your opportunities when they come your way.

He has the pace which is a huge asset you need at the top level as a striker - he'll have to improve his movement off the ball and his finishing but those are things he can improve on the training ground. I'm sure he'll be dragging every ounce of advice out of Rooney as well which can't do him any harm. I hope he takes his opportunity, improves and proves the doubters wrong. :thumbsup:

deCoubertin

September 01, 2017, 04:42:44 PM
Reply #31

themilkycoffees

I still don't think Harry Kane is Harry Kane. Absolutely sure he's just riding the crest of the wave since his debut. Surely it's got to end sometime?

There's always a place in a team for an athletic striker who can run all day, win headers and facilitate others, but I've not seen anything from him that makes him look like a natural finisher. One thing is though, he's completely changed my mind in a few games, so if he keeps on getting better, then why not?

That's some wave he's riding. Scored 25+ in the last 3 seasons

September 01, 2017, 04:46:01 PM
Reply #32

mikey_blue

That's some wave he's riding. Scored 25+ in the last 3 seasons

I know mate lol. If I keep telling myself he's a fraud, I might say it into existence. 🤞🏼

September 01, 2017, 05:20:21 PM
Reply #33

Marky Mark and the funky

There's always a place in a team for an athletic striker who can run all day, win headers and facilitate others, but I've not seen anything from him that makes him look like a natural finisher. One thing is though, he's completely changed my mind in a few games, so if he keeps on getting better, then why not?

Early pre-season I was thinking he's never going to be very much, since then what is it 2 assists and a goal already, not even starting most of the time? He's completely changed my mind about how effective he can be right now, I just don't like relying so few strikers in the squad.

I would not compare him to Kane just yet for exactly the same reason others have said, his finishing or even shooting from outside the box does not look great so far. I love the way he puts himself about, not aggressively just willingly, and is clearly trying his best to get to every ball.

@SANA_DR0 I watched 3-4 of those U20 World Cup games too. I thought he was struggling most of the time, either missing a decent chance or failing to carve out a chance because his first touch wasn't quite good enough or he wasn't canny to bypass his defender. Even the winning goal in the final was pure determination, he nearly botched it twice but got a bit of luck :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:22:28 PM by Marky Mark and the funky »

September 01, 2017, 05:26:33 PM
Reply #34

Lxxx

from seeing DCL at the u20 world cup, and playing in his BEST position, he is a FINISHER even his goal for us, was a great finish, the issue is. not playing him upfront. you cant expect him to finish when he;'s playing RWB.

He's not a finisher. As much as I do like the lad finishing is probably not one of his strengths.

September 01, 2017, 06:12:12 PM
Reply #35

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
No but he can be as effective, just in different ways.
I have to return some videotapes.

September 01, 2017, 08:29:06 PM
Reply #36

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

DCL has everything to his game physcially, and is very promising. He's actually blisteringly quick when he wants to be, and can finish, has the physical attributes to really mix it up. I would shack him up with Jags' mam or nin, and feed him up a bit and make him more of a powerhouse. You just never know. Fingers crossed.

September 01, 2017, 08:33:38 PM
Reply #37

Macca77

September 01, 2017, 08:33:57 PM
Reply #38

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It's a bit hard to say as Kane never looked like being what he now is until he suddenly exploded into form.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect a similar burst of form from anyone in such a short time frame.

The one benefit to take from not getting a striker is that he'll have more minutes etc in which to develop but it'd be wrong to expect massive improvements in the short term, especially given that he's already done well to get to this stage.

September 01, 2017, 08:41:40 PM
Reply #39

Marky Mark and the funky

Marry him then

Imagine the cat fight with some of the outfits his missus has been snapped in :o

September 01, 2017, 08:58:52 PM
Reply #40

Thornton_19

Think he will end up being a great player for us. Hope he takes this monumental chance he has been given.

September 01, 2017, 09:08:20 PM
Reply #41

MmmBlueRamirez

It's a bit hard to say as Kane never looked like being what he now is until he suddenly exploded into form.

I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect a similar burst of form from anyone in such a short time frame.

The one benefit to take from not getting a striker is that he'll have more minutes etc in which to develop but it'd be wrong to expect massive improvements in the short term, especially given that he's already done well to get to this stage.

Koeman has massively pushed him. He sees he can be effective even if he's no where near the pre-requisite in terms of goal scoring ability for a Prem striker.

I really couldn't see Moyes doing the same with DCL even though he was renowned for fielding young strikers if he felt they were ready.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 01, 2017, 10:46:14 PM
Reply #42

Everton Mint

Watch DCL and the other Everton contingent live for free on new channel @FreeSportsUK - Freeview Ch.95 or Sky Ch. 424 ... nod

England U21 v Holland U21 5pm KO.

September 01, 2017, 10:57:28 PM
Reply #43

Marky Mark and the funky

Watch DCL and the other Everton contingent live for free on new channel @FreeSportsUK - Freeview Ch.95 or Sky Ch. 424 ... nod

England U21 v Holland U21 5pm KO.

Watching it now thanks to your heads up, Champion :thumbsup:

p.s. I'll post any further on this in General forum "Today's Football"

September 01, 2017, 11:22:42 PM
Reply #44

Everton Mint

1-0...  who else, DCL !!