December 19, 2018, 03:06:03 AM

Author Topic: What is Sandro?  (Read 13905 times)

September 01, 2017, 09:39:04 PM
Read 13905 times

blueski

a decent player who's either unfit due to an injury or who needs some time to get up to speed for the premier league

thought he looked ok for about 15 minutes of the Chelsea game and was absolutely dire after that
Nil Satis

September 26, 2017, 03:03:15 AM
Reply #1

blueski

seems like he needs some time behind closed doors to develop in training

seems a decent player for a slower less physical league - he's actually been pretty good for the first 5-15 minutes of each of his appearances thus far which says to me he's short of the level of fitness required to play in the pace and physicality of the PL. Hes miles more technically competent than Niasse but the difference in effectiveness says it all for technique without pace and strength in this league when you are playing as a 9.
Nil Satis

December 15, 2017, 08:54:42 PM
Reply #2

blueski

Didn't Felli get 10-12 goals in his first season?
something like that

which is also the counter argument to DCL - even when first signed Lukaku was poor in many aspects of his play but still bagged 20 for us.

not saying Sandro can't eventually work out but it doesn't seem very likely at the moment does it?
Nil Satis

December 15, 2017, 09:14:38 PM
Reply #3

blueski

Lukaku is still poor at things, some of which will never change. Doesn't stop him being boss. You can't be poor and score loads of goals, It just makes said player a goal scorer.

Felli obviously matured as a player and got better, but was in no means shit when we signed him, he was just different. Mainly because we played him up where he couldn't effect the game as much.
I do think fellaini is a fairly poor comparison - I actually do remember him being pretty bad in the first few appearances but he did always have that tactical reason to get included in a team - his size and ability to bring balls down from the air or flick it on, defend and attack on set pieces etc.

I really struggle to see what tactical advantage (size, pace, engine, aerial ability) that Sandro offers at this moment in time which makes a very strong case for him being included in the starting XI to counter his shortcomings so it seems so unlikely that he will get time in the 1st team to play his way into some form. he just doesn't seem strong enough at any one thing to make a case for playing him and dealing with the time required to get him up to speed
Nil Satis

December 15, 2017, 09:26:52 PM
Reply #4

blueski

First few appearances mean fuck all, being 21 and coming from Belgium to the Prem is a big step up, I gave him time to adjust before I judged him. He was wasted up front, but he still used the natural attributes to be one of our main contributors that season. For that reason, I can't call him poor.

Totally agree with the Sandro point though. For the style we're starting to play, DCL is much more suited to it. I do think Sandro could be a player, but it's the wrong time for him.
baldness makes him look older but Sandro's only 22 - he looks so much older
Nil Satis

December 16, 2017, 03:47:05 AM
Reply #5

blueski

just looked it up there. he got 8 league goals his 1st year. second year he got 2. 3rd year got 1. 4th year he got 3. he wasnīt brought in as a goal scorer so he shouldnīt be judged on his goals anyway.

just to clarify my point. he was brought in for astronomical money (in everton terms) and didnīt live up to that tag for years. i actually couldnīt believe we payed so much money for him because he really didnīt look a 16 million pound player until a few years after he signed. maybe most of you will disagree with that but i distinctly remember every evertonian i spoke to at the time being disappointed in him, mostly because they were disappointed due to there espectation of what they thought we were buying with what was an absolute fortune at the time. i was merely pointing out the comparison of the hype compared to the reality. i think we all got a bit carried away with hype with felli ( well me anyway) as we did with sandro.

to put in simply, some players do live up to the hype ...after they settle. we should give sandro every opportunity. he might just surprise us.
while its going back a ways, the Fellaini deal was on the drip - Ģ3m per year as I recall but the sum total was fairly large which exaggerated the headline

I hope Sandro does work out, it just seems very unlikely at the moment that he will get games needed to do so. Maybe it can all be worked out in training...

also in his defence I don't think he's featured in a true game under the new manager and practically all of them have looked better in the new regime so maybe he will too
Nil Satis