December 15, 2017, 08:43:39 AM

Poll

How Important Is Our UEFA Cup Campaign This Season?

Need To Win It
23 (37.7%)
Would Be Nice To Go Far
27 (44.3%)
League Is More Important
11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: How Important Is Our UEFA Cup Campaign This Season?  (Read 1743 times)

September 03, 2017, 04:41:58 PM
Read 1743 times

Toddacelli

I was just wondering where people's priorities were this season.

Personally I think we should follow the Man Utd example of using it to get into Champions League this season and throw everything possible at it to win it.

I think that we're making some progress in terms of squad, manager, ground etc but the one thing holding us back is not being able to offer Champions League football.

Who knows what players we could have landed in this window if we could offer CL? Giroud?

We can possibly eke our way into the top places over the next 6-8 years with steady progress and start to attract top players, or we can fast-forward that shit by offering CL football now.

For me - it's vital.

Top priority.

You?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

deCoubertin

September 03, 2017, 07:56:06 PM
Reply #1

phillyt

I think that while it is of course possible that we can sneak into the top four it's extremely unlikely. With Arsenal seemingly self combusting and Spurs struggling at Wembley we only need one more team to have a poor season and the best shot at that is Chelsea with maybe Liverpool struggling to combine the CL and PL at the high pace the gurning tramp demands. That is certainly asking a lot of stars to align including ourselves performing to our best and avoiding key injuries and suspensions.  So in all likelihood our only realistic shot at making the CL is winning Europa. I think our group won't be to difficult to get through and over 2 legs I think we should feel confident beating any of the Likely teams to progress. So it comes down to who drops out of the CL. We will need a lot of luck but I think we need to focus on winning the EL. That said, and especially the geographically kind group draw we have no excuses to flounder in the league as badly as we did under Martinez.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

September 03, 2017, 08:44:42 PM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

p-u-n-t

Oh crap, I read this as the League Cup.  Sorry, I am hungover.  Lyxx is right, every bit as important as League finish.  WIN the fucker, already.

I would definitely punt the League Cup, and also the FA Cup if we advance in Europa.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:14:31 PM by Evertonian in NC »
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 03, 2017, 09:14:28 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

Deserves equal standing with the league campaign. Big teams play regularly in Europe so when we get there we need to give a good account of ourselves.

The caramac cup is clearly the lowest priority in what will be a long season however it's a trophy and a Wembley day out so you don't want to throw it. Koeman might think differently however.

September 03, 2017, 09:42:31 PM
Reply #4

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

September 03, 2017, 11:01:40 PM
Reply #5

Robioto

We should be striving to win every competition we enter.

September 03, 2017, 11:10:32 PM
Reply #6

Mayor Farnum

I don't think it's as simple as saying we should really go for this or that competition and expect to make progression easier. We were less than convincing in the first couple of rounds and there will be tougher tests to come.

September 03, 2017, 11:13:49 PM
Reply #7

Mayor Farnum

I think that while it is of course possible that we can sneak into the top four it's extremely unlikely. With Arsenal seemingly self combusting and Spurs struggling at Wembley we only need one more team to have a poor season and the best shot at that is Chelsea with maybe Liverpool struggling to combine the CL and PL at the high pace the gurning tramp demands. That is certainly asking a lot of stars to align including ourselves performing to our best and avoiding key injuries and suspensions.  So in all likelihood our only realistic shot at making the CL is winning Europa. I think our group won't be to difficult to get through and over 2 legs I think we should feel confident beating any of the Likely teams to progress. So it comes down to who drops out of the CL. We will need a lot of luck but I think we need to focus on winning the EL. That said, and especially the geographically kind group draw we have no excuses to flounder in the league as badly as we did under Martinez.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can all have marked downturns in their performances from last season and still be comfortably clear of us. Top four is not an option for us.

September 03, 2017, 11:30:36 PM
Reply #8

BlueForYou

League every time for me - strive to be Champions, the pinnacle
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 03, 2017, 11:34:30 PM
Reply #9

Marky Mark and the funky

I was thinking I could not answer the original question until we escape the group, yet in reality my thinking is we should aim to win but not devote all our energy to it, as it would only take a cruel draw in the round the Champion's League teams drop in to make the prior a waste of energy.

Bright side is we should get out of the group 8)

September 03, 2017, 11:46:02 PM
Reply #10

TheTone

every game is important to me, no matter what the competition or opposition

just beat the cunts in front of you is ma motto like, every time

September 03, 2017, 11:47:35 PM
Reply #11

Marky Mark and the funky

every game is important to me, no matter what the competition or opposition

just beat the cunts in front of you is ma motto like, every time

Is this some clever cross-forum posting?

September 03, 2017, 11:51:18 PM
Reply #12

TheTone

Is this some clever cross-forum posting?

I take great care in that particular area mate, unless she tells me to do her like the dirty little slut she tells me she is ;) women are absolutely mental though to be fair, love em all

September 04, 2017, 01:13:24 AM
Reply #13

DIXIEDEAN

i think this season especially we should be trying to win everything as the more games we have the quicker we are gonna get this newly assembled side to start jelling, add a striker in january and maybe one or 2 more and we should then have a chance of a trophy of some sort which would be nice

September 04, 2017, 01:30:12 AM
Reply #14

BlueForYou

This competition is more about getting into the Champions League than winning the trophy itself

Should consider this incentive with the FA Cup
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick