December 17, 2017, 06:00:54 PM

Poll

How Important Is Our UEFA Cup Campaign This Season?

Need To Win It
23 (37.7%)
Would Be Nice To Go Far
27 (44.3%)
League Is More Important
11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: How Important Is Our UEFA Cup Campaign This Season?  (Read 1747 times)

September 04, 2017, 02:35:18 AM
Reply #15

Optimistic Blue

With the money we have spent we bloody should be
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

deCoubertin

September 04, 2017, 05:04:12 AM
Reply #16

Everton Mint

A number if British clubs have got to the Final over the years so its not impossible to go far.

But as for priorities it will always come second to the League... unless we do a Man U and concentrate on the Europa when we cant finish any higher.

I'm not optimistic though.

September 04, 2017, 05:13:17 AM
Reply #17

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
We aren't finishing fourth so winning this is huge.

I'd say winning this and finishing 7/8 would be better than finishing 4th.

We'd actually have a trophy that I can remember winning!

September 04, 2017, 06:20:55 AM
Reply #18

Shogun

Administrator
7th and a trophy is the aim.

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

September 04, 2017, 01:29:12 PM
Reply #19

Morta75

I would say very important. A good showing here can catch the eye for good players to come to us. We can show that we have something good going under Koeman.

September 04, 2017, 02:08:35 PM
Reply #20

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
7th and a trophy is the aim.

I think the whole attitude/mentality at the club could change if we won a trophy, especially this one

We will be able to attract a higher caliber of player as well if we get Champions League football, 2 or 3 key additions could make a huge difference moving forward as well as some solid foundations we have put down with the last 2 years signings - Pickford, Keane, Schneiderlin and DCL right through the spine

Being able to attract that top level striker is vital for us
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 04, 2017, 02:36:10 PM
Reply #21

Toddacelli

I think the whole attitude/mentality at the club could change if we won a trophy, especially this one

We will be able to attract a higher caliber of player as well if we get Champions League football, 2 or 3 key additions could make a huge difference moving forward as well as some solid foundations we have put down with the last 2 years signings - Pickford, Keane, Schneiderlin and DCL right through the spine

Being able to attract that top level striker is vital for us

This is the whole reason it should be priority for me.

If we finish 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th it won't really matter to any potential signings - but Champions League football? That opens a lot of legs.

And with the better calibre of players who arrive to play CL footy - THAT is when we can realistically mount a challenge on the top 4.

So those who say the league is the priority - I say this is the best way of doing well in the league.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:37:22 PM by Toddacelli »

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 04, 2017, 03:27:48 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

Let's not try and morph into Arsenal or the shite and think the 4th place trophy is something to solely aim for and celebrate. I'd hate it if we turned into this kind of club.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:30:47 PM by Lxxx »

September 04, 2017, 04:17:04 PM
Reply #23

BlueNoseMike

I'd take it definitely with a top 7 even top 8 finish.

If we're winning this but finishing bottom half then players are going to look at both and see that we've not competed consistently in the league. The league is your bread and butter.

Saying that, it would be a trophy. I was 4 when we last won one!!!

September 04, 2017, 09:03:56 PM
Reply #24

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
The league is always the bread and butter. Can't get complacent with that otherwise we end up heading down to 13th or worse again.

If we get to later in the competition and we're in a situation like Man Utd where you have to make a calculated risk/reward decision then sure we could think about switching priorities then.

Have to say though, I don't get the "nice to go far" in the cup as it's really a zero sum game. I personally don't care if we reach the semi final or final if we don't win it.

September 04, 2017, 09:44:03 PM
Reply #25

Everton Mint

The problem with prioritising the Europa is that it still doesnt guarantee winning it.

Man U with their squad and experience was different. They were favourites from the start.

I can make us no better than about 20-1 to win it. Plus the FA or league cup are a lot less games.

September 04, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
Reply #26

Marky Mark and the funky

The league is always the bread and butter. Can't get complacent with that otherwise we end up heading down to 13th or worse again.

If we get to later in the competition and we're in a situation like Man Utd where you have to make a calculated risk/reward decision then sure we could think about switching priorities then.

Have to say though, I don't get the "nice to go far" in the cup as it's really a zero sum game. I personally don't care if we reach the semi final or final if we don't win it.

I only just realised @Everton Mint said the same thing, I think the way Man Utd handled it was perfect, wait until it is certain the Europa is the best avenue rather than favouring it all along.

September 04, 2017, 09:47:15 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

We need to win something and can't really be too choosy what it is.

I just hope we don't see wholesale changes like last season against Norwich, was it 8 changes? Resulted in a disjointed performance and any chance of gaining a bit of momentum after a solid start was lost.

September 04, 2017, 09:50:43 PM
Reply #28

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

What I would want:

Have a good run in the Eurodisney with some great away ties for the travelling fans.

and theres more:
Finish above the Shite, Spurs or Arsenal, in any position above 7th!
Not get bummed out the domestic cups early.
Show signs of solid first team progression.
Show continued signs of a strong youth development.
Get some foundations laid at our new ground.

Don't want much, but ALL of that would be good enough, and fingers crossed, I reckon that is what we will see! POSITIVITY!

September 05, 2017, 12:34:51 AM
Reply #29

Zoolander

We can't put maximum first 11 effort into all four competitions due to our squad strength, as much as I'd like us too. So I'd prioritise the league and the Europa. They both have the biggest potential rewards and we've the squad to play our best 11 in those consistently. Hopefully we can qualify from our group early and use the youth from our squad for the latter group games. Hopefully we get some favourable draws from the FA and league cup rounds and again utilise youth, which is important for their development too. And play stronger line ups as the competitions and standard of opposition progress.
The europa league would seemingly offer the highest probability of champions league qualification though - so for certain we need to take that cup as seriously as the league.