November 24, 2017, 10:00:58 AM

Poll

How Important Is Our UEFA Cup Campaign This Season?

Need To Win It
23 (37.7%)
Would Be Nice To Go Far
27 (44.3%)
League Is More Important
11 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: How Important Is Our UEFA Cup Campaign This Season?  (Read 1691 times)

September 05, 2017, 12:49:30 AM
Reply #30

Marky Mark and the funky

We can't put maximum first 11 effort into all four competitions due to our squad strength, as much as I'd like us too. So I'd prioritise the league and the Europa. They both have the biggest potential rewards and we've the squad to play our best 11 in those consistently. Hopefully we can qualify from our group early and use the youth from our squad for the latter group games. Hopefully we get some favourable draws from the FA and league cup rounds and again utilise youth, which is important for their development too. And play stronger line ups as the competitions and standard of opposition progress.
The europa league would seemingly offer the highest probability of champions league qualification though - so for certain we need to take that cup as seriously as the league.

I like the concept here, problem is all our best youth players are either A) already in the first team or B) out on loan. As far as I'm aware fullback/midfielder Gethin Jones is the only one to have played a decent amount of Championship matches and even then he was in and out of the Barnsley team. The others would be pretty raw puntage.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:44:40 AM by Marky Mark and the funky »

deCoubertin

September 05, 2017, 02:43:51 AM
Reply #31

mikey_blue

Different feel about the matches in Europe. Would love to have a proper crack at this.

September 05, 2017, 02:08:09 PM
Reply #32

Hesmenos

Just want to comment on those saying that if we get CL football through the Europa Cup, it will make us more attractive to the top players. I don't think it will make that much of a difference. It didn't help Leicester attract any stars last year. Players want to go to an established club that will be in it every year or at least challenging every year. If we want to be seen as a more attractive destination we need to be regularly finishing in and around the top 4.

Having said that, I would love to win the Europa Cup as I think a club of our stature deserves more than 1 European title.

September 05, 2017, 02:19:24 PM
Reply #33

Toddacelli

Just want to comment on those saying that if we get CL football through the Europa Cup, it will make us more attractive to the top players. I don't think it will make that much of a difference. It didn't help Leicester attract any stars last year. Players want to go to an established club that will be in it every year or at least challenging every year. If we want to be seen as a more attractive destination we need to be regularly finishing in and around the top 4.

Having said that, I would love to win the Europa Cup as I think a club of our stature deserves more than 1 European title.

Even having won it more recently than us, Leicester are just not comparable.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 05, 2017, 03:06:15 PM
Reply #34

Mac934

We need to win something and can't really be too choosy what it is.

I just hope we don't see wholesale changes like last season against Norwich, was it 8 changes? Resulted in a disjointed performance and any chance of gaining a bit of momentum after a solid start was lost.
Wouldn't notice a disjointed performance after recent games!

September 06, 2017, 03:22:29 AM
Reply #35

Everton Mint

Everton have named a 27-man squad for the group stage of the 2017/18 UEFA Europa League.

After overcoming MFK Ružomberok in a third-round qualifier and Hajduk Split in the play-off round, the Blues were drawn alongside Lyon, Atalanta and Apollon Limassol in Group E.

Ronald Koeman has now submitted his squad for the next six fixtures of the competition, the first of which is a trip to Italy to face Atalanta next Thursday (14 September).

See Everton’s full squad, as listed by UEFA, below.

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford
Maarten Stekelenburg
Joel Robles

Defenders
Leighton Baines
Michael Keane
Ashley Williams
Phil Jagielka
Cuco Martina
Seamus Coleman
Mason Holgate
Callum Connolly
Jonjoe Kenny

Midfielders
Morgan Schneiderlin
Ross Barkley
Kevin Mirallas
Aaron Lennon
James McCarthy
Idrissa Gana Gueye
Gylfi Sigurdsson
Davy Klaassen
Muhamed Besic
Tom Davies
Nikola Vlasic
Ademola Lookman

Forwards
Sandro Ramirez
Wayne Rooney
Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Looks like we are treating it seriously to me...

September 06, 2017, 03:49:43 AM
Reply #36

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

September 06, 2017, 11:15:31 PM
Reply #37

BlueForYou

Isn't Connolly at Ipswich?

Injured Coleman in, injured Bolasie not

Niasse must be bad
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 06, 2017, 11:26:53 PM
Reply #38

Cozzie

Strange Coleman has been named and not Bolasie.

September 06, 2017, 11:39:12 PM
Reply #39

BlueForYou

Unless Coleman has a chance of returning before Christmas, but Bolasie, no chance?

Funes-Mori is expected to miss the whole season, so he wouldn't be chosen

Connolly seems to have been named to make up the numbers

Niasse must be leaving the club pretty shortly

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 07, 2017, 11:47:39 AM
Reply #40

Marky Mark and the funky

Isn't Connolly at Ipswich?

Injured Coleman in, injured Bolasie not

Niasse must be bad

No doubt in my mind Niasse would score some goals, especially in Europa with his physical power. Must have knobbed Jenny...

September 08, 2017, 12:16:15 AM
Reply #41

BlueForYou

I couldn't have been more wrong: Niasse in the first team squad, he's staying put - for now!

Harry Catterick