December 15, 2017, 03:04:25 AM

Author Topic: [News]Have Everton made a mistake not signing a prolific striker?  (Read 3501 times)

September 07, 2017, 12:15:02 AM
Read 3501 times

Everton News

Have Everton made a mistake not signing a prolific striker?

One of the great things about being an Evertonian is the difference of opinion we all have over a seemingly simple issue.

Source: Have Everton made a mistake not signing a prolific striker?

deCoubertin

September 07, 2017, 12:25:29 AM
Reply #1

hill135

September 07, 2017, 12:34:21 AM
Reply #2

Lxxx

Have every team who haven't signed a prolific striker made a mistake in not signing a prolific striker. After all, why would any side not want a prolific striker.

September 07, 2017, 12:46:03 AM
Reply #3

AllyBlue14

Not even a prolific striker, but a reliable source of goals, yes, definitely.

We'd do very well to replace Lukaku's goals with one player, but that player would probably cost £75m, or something stupid. But we want more goals, so the best way is to spread them throughout the team.

At the moment, I don't think we have enough proven goals, unless DCL and Sandro massively exceed (realistic) expectations.

The other side is that we hope to be more solid defensively, so we won't have to score as many. We just may not be as entertaining to watch.

September 07, 2017, 12:51:52 AM
Reply #4

bacon sarnie

September 07, 2017, 01:11:31 AM
Reply #5

sam of the south

We've made a pretty big mistake in having a manager who likes direct football but failing to sign him a target man to give said approach a good chance of delivering results.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 07, 2017, 01:26:35 AM
Reply #6

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I'll be honest, while on one hand I don't mind a bit of positivity I feel this is clutching at straws. I mean I suppose you could take out the word prolific and be happy with signed a "striker", but all things being even you'd like striker who scored lots of goals. Some points I'll dispute below:

"We failed on that day ironically because our most prolific striker in 30 years, who has now left in order to win trophies, Ďdecidedí not to produce the goods when the chance of a trophy showed itself."

- I don't even know what that means. Who would decide not to score goals? No need to have a pop at Lukaku.

"Maybe, just maybe if we had gone for potential strike targets early in the window, a head or two may have been turned. Donít forget, the lure of the Champions League means five clubs had a head start over us and arguably first pick but we still had the lure of European football albeit starting in balmy July."

- So we could've signed someone, likely not a player who was ready for the CL, but a good striker? I'd also say only Lorente (out of the strikers signed by those 5 CL teams) would've been one we could've realistically gone for...so there was no real competition/head start issues there.

"Itís clear to me and a great many others that during the first seven games we have lacked a goal threat. "

- So surely therefore we could use a prolific striker? Or a target man to bring in other players?

"Yet despite the optimism, theres a feeling that we have made the most basic of errors in not signing a target man. ...I also remember that the last time we qualified for the Champions League (play off) back in 2005, the leader of the line was Marcus Bent who scored 7 goals in 42 games and Duncan Ferguson, 6 goals in 37 games maybe showing that being prolific isnít really the point."

- We could therefore use a target man. Why did we not sign one?

"Ultimately itís down to the manager and we must trust him, we have little choice."

- Koeman stated multiple times, in public, that he wanted a striker. If we're trusting his judgment we should have signed a striker

"I have already noticed that a combination of Walsh, Koeman and Kenwright are getting some stick on social media for not signing Lukakus replacement which is ridiculous. "

- It's not, Koeman wanted a striker. So there was a failure there. What caused the failure is up to debate.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:36:44 AM by blueToffee »

September 07, 2017, 01:42:06 AM
Reply #7

eyesalwaysblue

They thought job was done signing The Prosecco Kid..
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 07, 2017, 01:58:55 AM
Reply #8

SANA_DR0

Have every team who haven't signed a prolific striker made a mistake in not signing a prolific striker. After all, why would any side not want a prolific striker.

most teams have a striker that suits their style of play.. usually a few strikers, so they can switch things up.. What we have seen from ?Koemans teams is that he utilizes a big striker as the lynch pin; that brings the rest of the attacking players into play..

i dont think we need a prolific striker, just someone who can help ease the burden off of DCL.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

September 07, 2017, 02:32:21 AM
Reply #9

BlueForYou

"Good things come to those who wait"....................January calling

"Better things come to those who work hard".....................calling DCL, Sandro, Mola
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 07, 2017, 02:41:58 AM
Reply #10

gizzblue

In the simplest pc terms it's not just did teams above us is it it's the top  teams in every league in the champions league qualifiers that we are up against .....so any real decent striker is hard to come by failing the stupid money bids for a Watford or Palace cast off ....saying this the optimism in me hopes the ones we have come good under pressure ...we've done ok taking what few chances weve had so far
This will only improve as the team gels

September 07, 2017, 02:43:34 AM
Reply #11

Tinga

September 07, 2017, 04:36:24 AM
Reply #12

bogie

no not yet

jan windows is not the best for going out and getting players but ever 4 years there are a few that will move that would not move before

and with are run of game at the start of the season we needed a work horse up top

will we need to go out in jan and really go for one hell yes will we get one I think only if a few players are moved on before then

September 07, 2017, 05:46:22 AM
Reply #13

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
We're just miles away man, absolutely miles away.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 07, 2017, 06:45:45 AM
Reply #14

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Did anyone say no. Must surely be an idiot
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...