October 24, 2017, 02:38:30 PM

Author Topic: The Defence  (Read 3108 times)

September 09, 2017, 11:01:19 PM
Read 3108 times

Shogun

Administrator
Martina and Williams are absolutely not good enough for this level.

Jagielka is past his best but should absolutely be starting.

Holgate struggles going forward but is a rock defensively.

Pickford
Holgate Keane Jagielka Baines

That's currently our best back line.

There can be no argument.

I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

deCoubertin

September 09, 2017, 11:06:32 PM
Reply #1

sam of the south

Martina and Williams are absolutely not good enough for this level.

Jagielka is past his best but should absolutely be starting.

Holgate struggles going forward but is a rock defensively.

Pickford
Holgate Keane Jagielka Baines

That's currently our best back line.

There can be no argument.

Yup, no argument whatsover.

Koeman is a bit of a bell to even consider starting a side with that back four today, when Holgate (who was superb against City apart from the poor defensive header which assisted their equaliser) and Jagielka are both fit.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 09, 2017, 11:08:56 PM
Reply #2

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Ashley Williams is a fucking shambles.

Needs to be dropped down to 4th choice.

September 09, 2017, 11:10:08 PM
Reply #3

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What on earth is Ashley Williams bringing to the table to warrant starting?

Why is so much of our football seemingly based around getting Cuco Martina on the ball?

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 09, 2017, 11:16:15 PM
Reply #4

bacon sarnie

In their defense they had no defence today. Don't know whats happened to Keane either. Play the youth alongside of Jags. Can't possibly be any worse. Can it?

September 09, 2017, 11:22:25 PM
Reply #5

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Jags is still the best CB at the club.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 09, 2017, 11:24:35 PM
Reply #6

Marky Mark and the funky

Agreed all on the comments about today's defending.

Ironically Koeman's overall gameplan (narrow as it was) might have worked if the defence was not ripped apart too easily on more than one occasion.

Trust Kane to score another superb goal against us to start the ball rolling though, we were in the match until that, fuck off Harry :headbang:

September 09, 2017, 11:26:26 PM
Reply #7

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Absolutely loath Williams.
I have to return some videotapes.

September 09, 2017, 11:29:31 PM
Reply #8

kramer0

Off the ball, Martina does things I wouldn't even expect Kenny to do. Whatever good he does in the final third is more than offset by his total unreliability in defense. If we want to be solid at the back, Holgate should be starting every match until Coleman is fit.

I said my bit about Williams in the match thread but I'll repeat it here - he's abysmal when it comes to defending on the front-foot. If his job is to sit back in his penalty area and block shots/repel crosses, he's actually pretty good, but that's not what we're asking him to do. It was dumb to sign an older player with a fairly narrow skill set, then ask him to play differently. He's proven to be a huge waste of money.

September 09, 2017, 11:45:44 PM
Reply #9

BlueBeagle

Why is so much of our football seemingly based around getting Cuco Martina on the ball?

Don't think it is, it's just that the opposition allow us to let him have as much of the ball as possible lolol

September 09, 2017, 11:48:20 PM
Reply #10

Mayor Farnum

Williams isn't even worth 12 million quid in today's market.

September 09, 2017, 11:50:08 PM
Reply #11

Cuttyblue

In their defense they had no defence today. Don't know whats happened to Keane either. Play the youth alongside of Jags. Can't possibly be any worse. Can it?

This, Gueye, Schneid, Klassen - absolutely invisible and NO cover for our defense.

In can get worse.  How stubborn will Koeman be?

September 09, 2017, 11:51:24 PM
Reply #12

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Williams shouldn't have started today after two games for Wales this week, especially after a trip to Moldova.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 09, 2017, 11:58:31 PM
Reply #13

Ross

Williams shouldn't have started today after two games for Wales this week, especially after a trip to Moldova.

He shouldn't be starting regardless of his Welsh commitments if Jags is fit.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

September 10, 2017, 12:05:41 AM
Reply #14

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
He shouldn't be starting regardless of his Welsh commitments if Jags is fit.

And yet, as usual, he was excellent for Wales in both games. Maybe it's the system rather than the player that's the issue
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers: